FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't heard much about the round. Is it in the pistol round camp, or is it more like a 5.56 AR round (as in high velocity and fragmentation)?

The only thing holding me back is the 10 round limit in NY.

And why is the rail version called "triple rail" when there appears to be simply a top rail for optics?

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's a rifle round that simply has a handgun chambered for it.

It's really a fun gun. Does your state limit you to 10 rounds? If so aren't the AR's and such limited also? So that wouldn't make a difference.

The tri-rail has a top rail and 2 small side rails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a rifle round that simply has a handgun chambered for it.

It's really a fun gun. Does your state limit you to 10 rounds? If so aren't the AR's and such limited also? So that wouldn't make a difference.

The tri-rail has a top rail and 2 small side rails.
Yes, we have a 10 round max here. Although, with an AR you can find pre-ban magazines. I just like the idea of something manueverable in a house. AR's all seem to be 36+" long.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The PS90 will give you a better round than the CX4 but the 9mm probably has more different types of loads and options. The AR will be in my opinion a better round than the PS90 but a slightly longer gun. Personally I would pick the PS90. The 10 round limit isn't a big deal. If you are firing more than 10 rounds you're in the wrong fight.

But if you are willing to except other options I would pick a shotgun and I have. A modified Remington 870 is my choice for home defense.
Here is the write up I did on the build of it:
http://gunlovers.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2116

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gosh, I'm glad I live in Texas!

If anyone wants to say a 9mm carbine is better (I have a CX4 Storm in 9mm, btw), I can say 'show me one that has 50 rounds on tap'.

:shock:

·
Registered
15 Posts
FRAYADJACENT said
If anyone wants to say a 9mm carbine is better (I have a CX4 Storm in 9mm, btw), I can say 'show me one that has 50 rounds on tap'.
How about a Thompson in 45 ACP with 50 or 10 round drum magazine?

Or a HK94 with a 100 round beta mag?

Or a Colt AR with a 100 round beta mag?

:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Zebra 24 said:
FRAYADJACENT said
How about a Thompson in 45 ACP with 50 or 10 round drum magazine?

Or a HK94 with a 100 round beta mag?

Or a Colt AR with a 100 round beta mag?

:)

Notice, I said '9mm carbine'. Even then, a 9mm carbine compared to the PS90 is like comparing oranges to grapefruits. They'll be similar, but they're not the same. Everything you mention would be comparing apples to potatoes.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The best weapon for home defence is a functioning human brain and the williness to use it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Nay, Bouncing Betties, not only does it get the bad guy, it gets his buddies too and the damn yapping neighbors dog in one shot.

·
Registered
857 Posts
This picture shows a good comparison in length between an AR carbine, storm and PS90 - the stock on the ar is not extened in this pic.

With the PS90 & AR, I would be concerned about over penetration in the confines of ones house

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Off topic - I have a buckmark, but haven't mounted an optic on it because I disassemble the slide for cleaning everytime I shoot it (which would require re-zeroing the optic each time).

How do U like it? Do U clean the gun by removing the optic and slide each time?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
On the serious side, a shotgun is the best home defence gun over all. Use bird shot. 12 or 20 ga is fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FrayAdjacent said

Notice, I said '9mm carbine'. Even then, a 9mm carbine compared to the PS90 is like comparing oranges to grapefruits. They'll be similar, but they're not the same. Everything you mention would be comparing apples to potatoes.
Apples to potaotoes? Why ask the question then?

The HK94 is a 9mm with a beta C-mag hold 100 rounds, the Colt AR-15 9mm with a Beta C-mag holds 100 rounds. Both are 9mm Carbines.

A 45 ACP carbine is a good choice. 185-200 grain JHP at 1000+ feet per second is a pretty good deterent...Thompson, HK USC/UMP, UZI 45, Beretta Storm...

A PS90 vs. HK94 vs. AR 9mm...

If it has a tac light mounted on it , then I'd be comfortable with all three.

PS90 vs. Colt M4 10" barrel...is a more apple to apple comparison

·
Registered
857 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Off topic - I have a buckmark, but haven't mounted an optic on it because I disassemble the slide for cleaning everytime I shoot it (which would require re-zeroing the optic each time).

How do U like it? Do U clean the gun by removing the optic and slide each time?
The magnfying scope makes it much more fun to shoot - otherwise a .22 is just too boring for me. I don't clean it every time i shoot it. I try and buy high quality ammo so it doesn't get that dirty. Actually it's been so long since i cleaned it, i can't remember what i do

When my daugher is ready for a handgun (she just started with a bolt action .22 rifle) I will probably remove the scope and put the irons back on for her.

·
Registered
980 Posts
devildoc said:
On the serious side, a shotgun is the best home defence gun over all. Use bird shot. 12 or 20 ga is fine.
I've read that #1 bird shot is the only birdshot that should be used for defense. And then only at very close ranges where overpenatration is a serious concern. (like inside a small apartment with thin sheetrock walls between rooms)

see http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/content_sub/gelatin_testing/bird_1_kent/gelatin_birdshot_kent_1.html
and for a comparison of different 12g loads for self defense. (also lots of discussion on shotguns vs people from historical and medical perspectives)
http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/ballistics_shotgun.html

As far as the 5.7x28mm is concerned I think it's fine for home defense so long as you are mentally prepared to shoot the bad guy more than once!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts