FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have just 1 carry gun that you use all the time, or do U rotate between 2, 3, 4 or more?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I have 4 that I carry regularly.

P232 380
P99cAS 9mm
P239 40S&W
P245 45ACP

I also have a P229 40S&W, a SP2340 40S&W, but I don't have holsters that I like for them yet. Milt Sparks VMII's are hard to get ahold of.

I have a S&W642 and a Taurus 38spl, but I prefer DA/SA so I don't carry them much. They sometimes get "console" duty in the truck.

I had a Kahr PM9 but it was part of a trade for a HK P7 that I don't carry.

TA

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice group TA - How do you like the Sig 232? I dont know that I would be comfortable carrying a 380. Is that a concern?

Winter Carry - G19C or G32
Summer Carry - Sig 239 (357 Sig)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Thanx. I do like the P232 but yes, I am concerned about the 380 round. It was my first concealed carry weapon but now I only carry it when I can't carry the P239.

After carrying a couple of years now, and seeing what type of attacks are happening (like the recent church attack and VT) my views have changed a bit on round selection. If I'm caught in a restaurant with a nut I want to be able to stop him fast.

If I have to pull out a firearm to protect myself or others, I want to put the bad guy down fast. To do that I need to hit him in the head or penetrate deep into the chest, maybe thru heavy clothing and from a bad angle. (like from the side thru the arm and into the chest)

The 380 is 9mm short (Kurtz) and just can't penetrate heavy clothing and go deep enough (12") to reach vital organs if shot from a bad angle. It's better than carrying nothing at all though.

The 9mm Parabellum is better, especially in +P.

But I am more confident in the 40S&W, 357 SIG, and 45ACP.

This a 20 year old paper, and may have been one of the reasons the 10mm round was selected by the FBI years back. I wounder what the current experts say? Give it a read. It's long but has some very good points. http://www.gunthorp.com/wounding_factors.htm

TA

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks that was a good read. Interesting that 5 or 6 years ago I would have agreed and felt comfotable with a 380 or a small Keltec in my pocket but now I am even a little uneasy with a G19 and prefer to carry a G32. I don't know if my moving to bigger (or harder hitting) calibers is a function of my old age paranoia or the perception that crime is getting more violent and out of control.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I rotate between these:

Glock 19
Sig P226 9mm
Colt Officer's Lightweight .45
HK USP F .40
Sig P220 .45

·
Registered
131 Posts
I rotate four: Glock 20, 21SF, 23, and 32. It all depends on what i'm doing and where I will be going ! I also carry a Sub-compact on my ankle at all times that matches one of the main carry guns listed above !

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have 3 concealed carry pieces that I use depending on the specific situation.

.45 ACP Para Ordnance P10 w/12rnd mags
.45 ACP Glock 36
.45 ACP M3 SMG

I only carry the Glock when it is very hot and humid which has been alot recently.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I carry a Colt Commander .45 75% of the time, a Colt Government .45 20% of the time and a Glock 19 5% of the time....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got several, but mostly I just carry an HK USP Compact in .45. Since Oregon in one of the few states that allows a CCW holder to carry more than one gun at a time, I should start carrying a BUG.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Colt Commander stainless .45
Heckler & Koch USP stainless compact .45

·
Registered
268 Posts
My FNP-9M is my serious carry (unforunately I just lost my hoslter in Missouri)

S&W 3913 LS (have to do a mexican carry until I get the holster I want)

As soon as it's fixed, most likey primarily my SA GI 1911

Sometimes S&W .38/44 Heavy Duty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Khar PM9 primarily and sometimes Colt Mustang Pocketlite, PPK, and a NNA 22 Mini Magnum. Truck piece is a makarov.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Depending on clothing options/weather conditions, varies between...

Glock Model 30
Glock Model 39
Kel-Tec P-32

·
Registered
7 Posts
My minimum is a Glock 26.
Most of the time it is the backup to a Glock 17 primary.
I also always have my Microtech LUDT with me.
Pat
0-1-25

1 - 19 of 19 Posts