FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when the PS-90s first hit the market here and the first one I picked up I seem to remember it being just a circle and a dot. I know there is a black retical as well. How many have they made? Not including the P-90

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
There is only the white reticle, the newer black reticle, and then the triple rail version of the PS90 - which has no optic at all, and you have to mount your own.

You can also remove the stock sight (either the black or white one) and put your own optic and mounting rail on the gun.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
When I bought mine I had a "white" reticule and the "Black" to choose from. They wanted more money for the rifle with the black one. I sort of wish I would have bought the black one now, but I took the white one instead.

I knew I was going to replace the sight either way. I want to put an Aimpoint or EOTech on it. I'm just used to those bigger windows.

TA

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
To answer your question, there is TWO reticle patterns currently available in the PS90 ringsight from FN.
1) Circle with dot (in either Black or White) - daylight use
2) Open T post (in Red via Tritium) - dim light use

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
tqtran said:
To answer your question, there is TWO reticule patterns currently available in the PS90 ring sight from FN.
1) Circle with dot (in either Black or White) - daylight use
2) Open T post (in Red via Tritium) - dim light use
I kind of agree with that,

1) The white one I saw (and have) is a circle with a dot in the middle for daylight use. There is a small mirror or light gathering window of some sort facing up at the rear of the sight. Even in daylight, if I shade the back of the sight with my hand the white circle and dot disappear. Even drops of water getting on the little light gathering window will make the reticule dim or go out completely. So it's not even good for a rainy day at noon. I'm betting that when I get to an outdoor range and sit down under the cover above the bench, I won't be able to see a white target at all. This sights best use is to take it off and throw it at the enemy! :lol:

A funny thing about this white sight is this... As long as there is strong ambient light, or an artificial light is shown down on the top of the sight (Like if I stand DIRECTLY under my bedroom light fixture) the white circle is clearly visible across an otherwise dark room or down the hallway. But if I take one step to the side or aim the rifle up or down or any other action that stops that light from shinning straight down into that window, the circle disappears. So I guess if you had a death wish you could shine a flash light down on top of the sight at night and get a good white circle to appear... right before someone shot you. :p

2) The other sight I saw had the black circle and dot. It acted just like the white one above... only that when I shaded the top of the sight with my hand to block light from the top of the sight and the black circle and dot disappeared, three red tritium bars appeared making a "T" that was easily seen. But knowing tritium fades over time and that some day the sight will act just like the white one... I decided I didn't want either on my rifle. :x

And the sights are so small in diameter, I have to move my head around behind the sight sometimes to even find the circle and get it on target. In a nervous situation the last thing I want is to have to be concentrating on getting the reticule to appear in the tiny window!

It is my opinion, that for the price of these excellent rifles FNH should have placed a much much better sight on these guns than the $9.95 K-Mart special that they come with. Oh, and the iron sights... they need some improvement bad. And while I'm at it... FNH could you please at least attempt to file down or smooth out the receiver before putting the finish on it? I know it’s a battle rifle and doesn’t need to be pretty ... but it looks like it was stamped back in the 1800's by a steam press or cast in a die set that was not lined up correctly.

Okay... I'm done now. Even with all the complaining I just did... I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. They are cool despite the flaws. And all rifles have some flaws. A little work on the sights and a piece of Velcro here and there and I'll be a happy camper. :lol:

TA

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to make sure we're on the same page here. Do yours (white retical) have thick horizontal lines on both sides of the circle?

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
The "thick horizontal bars" you speak of are actually part of the open T post from the tritium. They can be seen in daylight in certain lighting conditions and not seen in certain lighting.

White Ring Sight

White Ring Sight in different light

Black Ring Sight

Black Ring Sight in different light

Ring Sight in Darkness

White ring sight on LEFT - Black Ring Sight on RIGHT

I hope this finally answers your questions.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Mine just looks like this or disappears. No tritium bars on mine at all.

TA

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Yes, there are only TWO versions of the stock sight. But each has two different reticles built in - depending on the lighting.

I found the circles to be better than the bars - but U only get the circles in decent light on the white optic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow,

Ok, I think I got it. This thing is a more interesting weapon system than I originally thought!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts