FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many rounds stored at your home does it take before U would start to worry you have too much - maybe a danger from a fire or something?

Just curious. I've seen a few of you mention that you don't store all of your ammo at home because it's "too much." And others of ya have posted pics showing something like 10k rounds....

·
Registered
214 Posts
I believe 10k rounds is a federal limit for all ammo combined in a home.

·
Registered
93 Posts
P90wn3r said:
I believe 10k rounds is a federal limit for all ammo combined in a home.
Really? Do you know this for sure?

FM

·
Administrator
11,360 Posts
The only thing that I know for sure is that the Fire Dept will not enter the premises if there is gun powder or live ammunition stored in it (Hillsborough County Florida) due to safety hazards.

They will fight the fire from the street but will not enter the home until the fire is extinguished.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've spent a lot of time Googling AND looking on the ATF website - I can't find a # anywhere that says it is the max U can have.. That being said - I think I remember reading about people being charged with too much ammo - but this was usually one of those militia arrests...

·
Registered
119 Posts
What?? Never herd of this before. I know you can only have like 5lbs of black powder in your house but i did not here this before.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think I read some where its 40 lbs of powder is the Max you can have at home BTW thats A LOT OF GO JUICE ! that would add up to 93,333 rounds of 9mm with 3 gr load @ 7000 grains to a lb but this is all just hear say I do think loaded ammo is different since you need a hazmat charge for powder but not for loaded ammo so I will as around and get back to you guys with a 100% answer

·
Administrator
11,360 Posts
I think that 3gr is kinda of light. using 4gr it turns out to be about 70,000 rounds of 9mm.

Of course, if you use - say an 300 Savage at 42gr loads, that equals 6,666.666 (oops!) rounds - this is WAY WAY lower than the 93,000+ rounds of a 9mm.

I don't dispute the amount of 'go juice' just that I have enough ammunition in my safe to well exceed that amount of go juice given the large loads that I have for hunting purposes. Thats not counting the 13 lbs that I still have available for re-loads.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think that 3gr is kinda of light. using 4gr it turns out to be about 70,000 rounds of 9mm.

Of course, if you use - say an 300 Savage at 42gr loads, that equals 6,666.666 (oops!) rounds - this is WAY WAY lower than the 93,000+ rounds of a 9mm.

I don't dispute the amount of 'go juice' just that I have enough ammunition in my safe to well exceed that amount of go juice given the large loads that I have for hunting purposes. Thats not counting the 13 lbs that I still have available for re-loads.
OK i dont own a 9mm i was just showing ship the size of an conversion ......I have about 3000 rounds at any given time but then I will shoot 200-500 every time i go to the range......

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have never read any Federal limit on the amount of ammo you could have in your home. There may be state or local laws in your area.

I'm a career Firefighter and Arson Investigator in a suburban/ rural area. I'm not sure that I have ever fought a house fire that did not contain guns, ammo, and or powder.
8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts