FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm working on building my first AR and am curious to know roughly how many rounds can you get out of an SBR'd and suppressed AR-15 before cleaning becomes MANDATORY? Not until cleaning is "recommended" but until the rifle ceases to fire.. So far it's a Noveske upper, lower, bcg and chrome lined 12.5" Switchblock barrel and will be wearing a Saker 762 at all times. Will be shooting nothing but fairly clean surplus ammo.

I realize there's no way to know for sure how many rounds it can handle before jamming up other than testing it out yourself but I'm just looking for a rough estimate from people with similar set-ups who have been there done that.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Don't know myself, but do recommend a piston driven system. Like Adams Arms, it will reduce a good amount of the gas going into the receiver.

You'll only have the blow back from the chamber.

Reactions: yz454ever

·
Registered
876 Posts
Don't know how long before it's mandatory because there are so many factors. Gas system, BCG, finish on BCG, finish inside upper, lubricants used, etc. This summer I order 1000 rounds of 5.56 to shoot at my summer house. Had two rifles a Tavor and 10" AR SBR I shoot the AR way more often so I'm thinking close to 700-800 rounds without fully cleaning since I forgot my cleaning supplies. After I shot the AR I'd use a paper towel to wipe the carbon off the BCG and the area's I could reach with my fingers. I did this so my arms and face weren't black from the blow back. If I'm not mistaken the military standard is 20 30rd mags per session. I don't know how long the session is maybe an 1 hour or more.

Reactions: yz454ever

·
Registered
150 Posts
on both my setups that 7.5 and 16in 300blks the system is good for about 150-200 before it would have functional problems. 220rds for sure it better have all the **** cleaned out of the bolt face rotating in the bcg area and the bolt head channels and chamber channels cleaned. after just 5-10 rounds the entire ammo in the mag looks like its 40years old and pure black and covered in ****. its just dumping all the powder back into the chamber and mag well from the back pressure of the suppressor holdling in all the fumes etc. I can get about 500rds thru both setups running supers unsuppressed tho. Both my glocks would lock the trigger stuck after 2-3 and for sure the 4th mag thru a freshly cleaned gun from the powder and soot getting pushed back under the slide where the trigger rubs the slide rail to release the firing pin. Pistol system or nothing imo unless its a plinking toy like mine are. DGI system is such an unbelievebly retarded design that is more complicated of a balancing act of spring rates timing port location port diameter tube diameter pressure etc. Almost as dumb as a fwd car.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
This 300blk never choked. I am not sure how many rounds I put through it but you're welcome to count if you like. I stuck my AAC nickle boron carrier in it can't it was a breeze to clean that part of it. I used the sonic cleaner on the bolt itself and it was easy after 12 minutes. Of course there was a butt load of carbon inside the thing after all of those rounds. As illustrated below. Point is I didn't have any failures. I think because the thing is factory tuned with all of the right parts (correct buffer weight, gas tube length).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts