FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many round through the FNX tac and silencer and scar 16-17 and silencer before cleaning the guns and can, also what is the best method of cleaning the SDN-6 and M4-2000 any help would be appreciated Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
How many round through the FNX tac and silencer and scar 16-17 and silencer before cleaning the guns and can, also what is the best method of cleaning the SDN-6 and M4-2000 any help would be appreciated Thanks.
You don't clean a center fired rifle suppressor, I have well over 10K through each of my centerfire rifle cans and never cleaned them. Pistol or 22LR suppressor yes, clean it but not the centerfired rifle can (at least all the one's I've seen tell you not to)

Cleaning the rifles or pistol will need to be done a good bit before they would if not running the suppressor, the added blow back in the system will force you to clean it more regularly than unsuppressed but no real set number of rounds to exactly how often you should do it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You don't clean a center fired rifle suppressor, I have well over 10K through each of my centerfire rifle cans and never cleaned them. Pistol or 22LR suppressor yes, clean it but not the centerfired rifle can (at least all the one's I've seen tell you not to).
Newbie questions:
(1) Why is it not ok to clean a rifle can ?
(2) Why is it ok to clean a pistol can but not a rifle can ?
(3) Also what will happen if you clean a rifle can ?
Thanks in advance for the lesson :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
You _can_ clean a center fire rifle can if you want, you just don't really have to.

It won't hurt anything -- except your supply of Hoppe's #9 (or solvent of choice).

The only thing a center fire rifle can gets is carbon buildup, and that's actually beneficial (aids in sound reduction). The suppressor is actually self cleaning -- the pressure that is produced when you shoot generally cleans the carbon right out of it. If you do ever open up a center fire can you'll find its pretty much spotless.

You don't even really need to clean a pistol suppressor -- the only suppressors that I think it matters to clean are .22LR where you're accumulating a lot of literal lead. And those, you clean because they can eventually get extremely heavy :)

You do want to clean the threads / mounting points, but not really the whole can.

Sources:
Do I need to clean my suppressor? How often? | Thunder Beast Arms Forum
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/GEMTECH-F-A-Q-d7.htm#98

1 - 5 of 5 Posts