FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been looking around the forums searching for information regarding the magazines and mag releases on the fnx. I purchased my fnx 45t back in december but have not had the opportunity to take it out and have some fun. All I've done is cleaned it and dry fired a few times. I seem to be hung up on the magazine/ mag release problems. (I know, I know, I'm hung up on this issues without even shooting it)

The issues that I'm concerned with are:
1.)magazine not dropping free from the mag well when the release is pressed in
2.)when inserting a magazine, if not directly inline with the mag well, the front of the magazine catches on the mag release.
3.)mag release being very sticky and not going back to center.

Ive read where guys had the same issues and said they went away after they broke it in and others say they still have the issues. I know a few guys have sent them to FN and they fixed the problems.

Looking to see what some of you did or would do - do i send it to FN and have them fix it before even firing it so I can get it back in time for spring/ summer or send it in after its been fired a bit to see if it clears up.

If I fire it before sending it in, how many rounds would you give it before you should start to see things loosen up. I know the break in is around 500 rounds. Is it that round count I should start to see a difference.

My apologies for being a little panzi about all this, I guess its my OCD.

Thanks everyone for the input

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I purchased an FNX45 Tac a few months back last year. After reading all the problems it didn't stop me from making the purchase. When I brought the gun home the empty mag would not drop free but the fully loaded mag would drop free. I applied liberal amounts of Frog Lube and oil to the mag well, mag release and outside of the magazine itself. I also used liberal amounts of frog lube and oil inside the mag release. While sitting in the home office for 60 days and talking on the phone I worked that mag release no less than a few hundred times per day and then reapply oil and frog lube and repeat the next day over a 60 day period. Guess what.....empty and full mags drop free now without and issue.

Also read about the slide being extremely stiff so I left it locked back in the evenings over a 60 day period and also applied liberal amounts of frog lube and oil to all metal contact points.......

Everything works as expected now with no issues. I would suggest you try the advice given on this forum with respect to this subject matter, shoot no less than 500 rounds of 230grain ammo and then report back here and if you still have the problem. Then, you can always send the gun to FN through the warranty department which is top notch. Good luck.

·
Administrator
11,088 Posts
Hi everyone, I've been looking around the forums searching for information regarding the magazines and mag releases on the fnx. I purchased my fnx 45t back in december but have not had the opportunity to take it out and have some fun. All I've done is cleaned it and dry fired a few times. I seem to be hung up on the magazine/ mag release problems. (I know, I know, I'm hung up on this issues without even shooting it)

2.)when inserting a magazine, if not directly inline with the mag well, the front of the magazine catches on the mag release.

Ive read where guys had the same issues and said they went away after they broke it in and others say they still have the issues. I know a few guys have sent them to FN and they fixed the problems.

Looking to see what some of you did or would do - do i send it to FN and have them fix it before even firing it so I can get it back in time for spring/ summer or send it in after its been fired a bit to see if it clears up.

If I fire it before sending it in, how many rounds would you give it before you should start to see things loosen up. I know the break in is around 500 rounds. Is it that round count I should start to see a difference.

Get a different gun.

You will never be happy with the FNX45T so just buy something different and be happy.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I found that "some" of my mags would hang up . After shooting approx 1k rounds through the gun I realized that a combination of different mag width (small as they may be) and mag catch rubbing was the issue. I just use mags that drop free and will be sending back the mags that don't to FNH. Its not worth my time to ship the gun back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think you should sell the gun to me at half price and let me deal with the issues.......just kidding of course!

I am sure that there are some that are having real issues with the gun, I cannot speak to that. I, however got this gun in December and man if I had those issues when new I certainly did not notice. I now have well over 500 rounds through it and still notice no issue whatsoever. My advice to you is don't allow others that may or may not be suffering from buyer's remorse and trying to find all the reasons they should get gun "fixed" or sell and just go out and put some holes in paper or clink some metal because the gun is just a joy to shoot.

Play safe!

Wayne

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased an FNX45 Tac a few months back last year. After reading all the problems it didn't stop me from making the purchase. When I brought the gun home the empty mag would not drop free but the fully loaded mag would drop free. I applied liberal amounts of Frog Lube and oil to the mag well, mag release and outside of the magazine itself. I also used liberal amounts of frog lube and oil inside the mag release. While sitting in the home office for 60 days and talking on the phone I worked that mag release no less than a few hundred times per day and then reapply oil and frog lube and repeat the next day over a 60 day period. Guess what.....empty and full mags drop free now without and issue.

Also read about the slide being extremely stiff so I left it locked back in the evenings over a 60 day period and also applied liberal amounts of frog lube and oil to all metal contact points.......

Everything works as expected now with no issues. I would suggest you try the advice given on this forum with respect to this subject matter, shoot no less than 500 rounds of 230grain ammo and then report back here and if you still have the problem. Then, you can always send the gun to FN through the warranty department which is top notch. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. Let the 60 day lube and move begin.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a different gun.

You will never be happy with the FNX45T so just buy something different and be happy.
It's not that I'm not happy. I'm actually really excited and love everything about the gun. The way it feels in my hand, the looks, ability for red dot on slide. It's just that this is the most money I've ever spent on one handgun and want it to work flawlessly. Just a stickler I guess

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would send it back to FNH. When I purchase a handgun I always wipe the preservative oil and fire it. I want to see how the gun functions with no love. All my Walther's, HK's, Sigs(Except P232), and Glocks have functioned flawlessly. If they don't they go in the never CCW use pile. Personally I absolutely hate it when a company or person says the gun needs to be broken in. To me that's an excuse for poor design tolerances. The only thing I except needs to be broken in are precision rifle barrels. For the price of the FNX they can hire someone to debur the edges, check slide to frame fit, trigger weight, and mag release. But it does say made in the USA and unfortunately that means one of two things....Either something built by someone who excepts good enough or something built by someone who pours themselves and national pride into everything they touch.
I know a lot of members are going to have give me crap but the only handgun I truly trust is my HK USPc. I've shot every kind of round through it and it has never jammed. The only malfunction I had was when I was testing it's limits. I fired about 2500-3000 rounds without cleaning and finally had a round not seat all the way in the barrel because of the carbon build up. Had to tap slide forward to fire.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the issues too but screw it, it really doesn't bother me anymore after I shot it! I shot it for the first time this weekend, it's awesome, I don't care if it don't drop free, actually it's kinda good it doesn't. If you were ever in a situation and the damm thing drops to the ground you may be screwed. Go shoot it!

·
Registered
25,418 Posts

Shoot it first. It's covered under warranty if you're still not satisfied with the performance, then send it in for FN USA to take a peek at it.

-SS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts