FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has one for sale, 18" barrel, flat black color, pistol grip, bead sight, non-extended tube. 25 rounds through it.

What would you expect to pay for such a rifle . . . . .ball park?

Thank you!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
kanthek said:
Unless it's super cheap be sure you get the stock with it. Pistol grips aren't really worth a damn.
Yes, while it looks nice - take your first range trip with a piostol grip and see how fast your wrist starts hurting...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, it says this in his thread:

Remington 870 12ga, matte finish, complete with the following:

- 18" cylinder barrel, bead sight
- Speedfeed 4-S stock, 13" LOP, black synthetic, rubber buttpad
- Pachmayr Vindicator forend, black rubberized
- Mesa Tactical 6rd shell holder, receiver mounted

Fired 25rds through it, I just don't use it enough, 99%+ condition!

This would retail at no less than $470 before taxes, etc.

Will sell for $380 FTF, $410 shipped to your FFL. First "I'll take it" gets it, send a PM also. Cross-posted on other forums.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I would have to be looking for that specific shotty with those specific add-ons before I would pay that price.

Offer him $300 if you really want it - see if he bites.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'd offer him $250 shipped, depending on how much wear there is on it. You can get a NIB 870 for what he is asking for it used. My 2 cents.

·
Banned
328 Posts
The pistol-grip on a stock is better than just a pistol grip by itself but I still prefer a straight stock myself. Also some synthetic stocks are too light and make the gun front heavy.

I don't know that the rest of those accessories really add that much value. I've never used the receiver mounted shell holders so I can't say if they are any good.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Don't listen to the nay-sayers. My 870 has a Speedfeed IV stock on it and doesn't cause any problems, ergonomic or otherwise. It would prevent you from using speed-loader tubes, but that's it. Also: the Pachmayr R3 recoil pad (not a slip on; screws on in place of the butt plate, and has the Remington capitol "R" on the butt) makes the gun a delight to shoot, really. This is what mine has, and probably what that one has. This is how it came from the factory, mind you.

Mine was $495, brand new, before tax and CA DROS :roll: .

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to stipulate, the shotgun has the pistol grip with buttstock.

And Casp, thank you for adding in that information on the 870 that you own. Good info to know.

By the way, I think buying something FTF is almost worth a few extra bones rather than having to let Big Brother know that you are purchasing yet another firearm, and having to ask for permission. :roll:

·
Registered
134 Posts
And Casp, thank you for adding in that information...
No problem, dude. Yeah, just what I thought; Speedfeed IV stock and an R3 recoil pad. Same setup as on mine, and I certainly have no complaints.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again. I'm sure I'll enjoy having this for my protection.

What are you groupings at 100 yards with yours?

Yeah, just kidding. :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
The one detail that seems to be left out is if its an express or magnum receiver. That would dictate the price as well.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure on that. However, I most likely will only use the 2 3/4 (is that the right size? I'm not a shotgun guy) sized shells for it.

Again, not having to ask permission from Big Brother makes me less stingy. Of course, I wouldn't want to be taken either, so. . . . .

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I don't wantg to be the "pain in the butt admin," but I resized those pics, as they were 1600 pixels wide. Please see rule #9 of the forum rules. Thanks...

9. Please don't post photos larger than 750-800 pixels wide. Sometimes people post photos over 2000 pixels wide, and this scrolls off the screen for 90% of the members here. Management shouldn't have to go and resize everyone's photos. Overly large photos may be deleted!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Okay, I feel I should explain a few things about 870s...

Generally, there are 3 types of 870 receivers in 12 gauge: the short receivers for 2.75" shells only, the Magnum receivers for 3", or the Super Magnum for 3.5" shells.

So far as I know, all current-production 12g 870s are either Magnum or Super Magnum receivers. The one in question here is definitely a Magnum receiver.

The important distinction here is quality. Not all 870s are made equal. All of them are going to work well (aside from the occasional lemon), but the higher grade guns are going to look nicer and operate a bit smoother.

At the bottom of the quality barrel are the Express and the Tactical. The're still made of steel, and they still work; they just aren't Wingmasters. The exterior Oxide finish is much rougher for a reason: less polishing necessary to get out the machine marks. This is somewhat evident if you inspect the interior of the receiver; it looks a bit more like a high-end NORINCO/Interstate (if there is such a thing), as opposed to the flawless interior of a Wingmaster. Also, the Express and Tactical have molded plastic trigger housings rather than cast aluminum ones. Some people hate this; some people don't really care or think it makes a difference. I personally fall into the category that doesn't much care.

Next up in the pecking order would be the Police and Military/MCS models, along with the Marine Magnum. These typically still have the tactical Oxide finish, but are of slightly nicer machining quality and have the old-style aluminum trigger housings (except, I believe, the current-production Marine Magnum).

The Wingmaster is their top-of-the-line pump. There are probably nicer pump shotguns out there, but the're all either very custom or made in Italy. :roll: This is where you will find the pristine, blemishless blued-steel receivers, what with all parts made to very tight tolerances and, of course, aluminum trigger guards. Expect top-of-the-line checkered wood furniture on these also.

Some people find it a bit odd that the 870 Tactical is more closely related to the Express than the Police, but keep in mind that the're targeted more toward the Mall Ninja demographic than actual LE agencies.

Here's the deal with mine: My 870, affectionately named Alice, is marked "870 Tactical Magnum", and isn't a production model. From what I can tell, the Tactical Magnum shotguns were market test guns made around SHOT Show '05, to test out the waters for the upcoming Tactical line. You know, to see which configurations would sell better than others. The one I have is one that didn't make the cut:

3" Magnum receiver
plastic Express trigger guard
OD Green oxide finish
20" cylinder barrel
3-shell magazine extension
Speedfeed non-overlapping LE forend
Speedfeed IV pistol-grip buttstock
Pachmayr R3 recoil pad

It's rough, it's certainly no Wingmaster, but it still works flawlessly even after running several hundred rounds of Pyrodex handloads through it. Talk about fouling...

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I'm actually much more of an Ithaca M37 M&P fan. Don't tell Alice though, she'd get jealous. :oops:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts