FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen people go both ways with these things, selling a 16s for a 17s and vice versa; even selling a 17s then going back to the 16s!

Given the retail difference is about ~$300. If you were looking at adding a 17s to your collection, or even going to the extreme and selling your beloved 16s to "upgrade" to that big bad .308; how much more, over the 16s, is it worth to you?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Since I've seen NIB 17s going for right around $2,500.00, I would hold out for that price on a second one. I'd look for a 16 at around $2,100.00

Reactions: BOOMSLANG

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just sold my extra 16s. Took me longer to sell than I thought. The market seems somewhat depressed. That being said, I am now in the market for a 17s. I found a dealer on gun broker selling FDE for just under 2500 plus shipping and grabagun has them for 2600 and some odd dollars. Yet I still see people selling them for 2800-3000 used with an extra mag or 2.

By the way, the best part of selling your scar is getting all of the trade offers. Usually a combination of 5 different 200-300 dollar guns and 842 rounds of wolf 7.62x39 ammo.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I don't think I'd want one over the other. I constantly go back and forth which one is my go-to rifle.
I feel the same way. Ideally Id like to have two of each :mrgreen: But I dont ever want to just own one or the other. Save up for the other, dont sell one to fund the other. If you can only have one rifle, well then thats a choice only you can make.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It's worth more than $300 to me. The package in 7.62 is hard to beat for me. Light, powerful, accurate. But I just really like the .308 round in general. But yes, I'd like to have a 16 as well!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you see this???? I dont even see 16s for 2100 by themselves. Forget tossing a 600+ dollar optic combo in with it at that price.
That's like telling everybody where your secret fishing spot is...

There was a black 16s right here on FNF for $1950 shipped!

but I'm not greedy, I'll share. Included another of a smoking deal on a 17s; yes, believe it. Both priced with optics!

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
A pound and a half. That's how much more every other .308 weighs compared to the 17.
There are many comparable 5.56mm rifles out there to choose from without a lot of major differences.
Other than that it's the size of the holes. Bigger is better.

·
Registered
609 Posts
as neat as the scar system is i dont see a point to spending that much then have to upgrade the trigger to get to where a lot of offerings from bcm and midwest industries start...

you can get a top end ar15 and very nice optic from trijicon nightforce aimpoint for the base price of the scar16 and not a lick difference in functionality or accuracy.

the scar17 is a much different animal and really out performs all other 308 offerings. ar15 to scar16 is no big leap in function and its actually heavier than what a light weight ar build can achieve. the scar17 to other 308 ar10 is just the opposite.

just how i see it. the scar16 is cool but its not a leap in performance over the ar15

·
Registered
600 Posts
Haven't you heard bigger is always better and ....Well the 7.62 x 51 definitely has more penetration and knock down power. It' definitely lighter than my fal or 91 which is like getting a two for one to me. I'd go 17 and never look back and right now's a good time to purchase one at the prices I'm seeing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have owned a bunch of AR's in my time. But when I got the 16S I knew I was very impressed with it. I have considered selling my 16 to get something more trick or special, suppressed SBR or something, but I keep coming back to the fact that Ive run my 16 through a 3 day, 2k+ round carbine class without a hitch. Without cleaning it! I think that the 16 is just an outstanding platform.

When I got my 17....well that was another thing. I cant begin to think of a .308 platform that is as functional, accurate, reliable yet lightweight straight out of the box as the 17S. The triggers are gritty....ok. Now what? You just simply cant beat the performance of this rifle hands down. This is definately one of the firearms in my small collection that I would never get rid of. EVER....

·
Registered
687 Posts
I actually kind of worked this backwards. I bought the 17 and fell in love with it so much that I had to get a 16 as well. Then I loved that so much I had to get another 16.
I don't have a problem, man. I can quit buying rifles any time I want! :p Actually, the drained bank account has taken care of my SCAR buying problem. Sure is a fun way to go broke, though. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I actually kind of worked this backwards. I bought the 17 and fell in love with it so much that I had to get a 16 as well. Then I loved that so much I had to get another 16.
I don't have a problem, man. I can quit buying rifles any time I want! :p Actually, the drained bank account has taken care of my SCAR buying problem. Sure is a fun way to go broke, though. :)
I'm in same boat as you. Bought my 17 first, love it. Now bought my 16 and can't keep it in the safe. Problem is now that I want another one of each.
Thought my first problem was not having both and now my problem is not having two of each.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 19 of 19 Posts