FN Herstal Firearms banner

How often do you clean your guns after shooting?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once a year

• Every 6 months

• Once a quarter

• Once a month

• After every use

• I'm obsessive baby! Every day!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you one of those guys that clean your weapons after every trip (I am)?

Or, are U one of those guys who does it every 1000 rounds/every 6 months/never?

I don't get those guys who clean their guns maybe once a year. I want to know the gun will work 100% if I ever need it. So, I like to clean them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I run a bore snake through the barrel and wipe with a silicon cloth after each use, but only field strip, clean, and lube after 300-500 rounds. I shoot 3-4 times per week and do shoot all of the guns I own, so cleaning every use isn't practical, nor do I feel it is necessary.

Of course, if I know I won't be shooting a gun for awhile, I will give it a thorough clean and lube, and likewise if it's been awhile since I've shot a gun, I might give it quick lube before shooting.

I've used this method for many many years, for all firearms, and never had a problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I clean my weapons after each use. I like to take care of my toys and I plan on having them for a lifetime......

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have a 10/22 and a FAL that don't get cleaned after ever use. The FAL works better dirty and the 10/22 wouldn't have any rifling if I cleaned it after every time its shot (about every day). Oh, I also have a shotgun that I shoot twice a week and only get around to cleaning a few times a year. But really, I'm pretty serious about my gun cleaning. I have an area of the basement and a respirator devoted to the purpose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have read that the 5 seven has had 1000 rds pass through and didn't need cleaned , I am a armorer and I believe in clean weapons so I check my weapon after every fire. Of course I have only put 150rds through it!

·
Registered
252 Posts
AverageJoe said:
I run a bore snake through the barrel and wipe with a silicon cloth after each use, but only field strip, clean, and lube after 300-500 rounds. I shoot 3-4 times per week and do shoot all of the guns I own, so cleaning every use isn't practical, nor do I feel it is necessary.

Of course, if I know I won't be shooting a gun for awhile, I will give it a thorough clean and lube, and likewise if it's been awhile since I've shot a gun, I might give it quick lube before shooting.

I've used this method for many many years, for all firearms, and never had a problem.
I do pretty much the same. 300-500 with a couple shots of lube between. I'm not a LEO and don't have to depend on one to do my job. Gweedo does all the hard lifting! :lol:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gramaton Cleric said:
I have read that the 5 seven has had 1000 rds pass through and didn't need cleaned , I am a armorer and I believe in clean weapons so I check my weapon after every fire. Of course I have only put 150rds through it!
Well, Glocks, HKs, many other guns can supposedly go a long time w/o cleaning. And, I always see threads where people clean these types of guns 1-2x a year.

I just can't do that in good conscience... I just gotta clean it at the range when I am done or right when I get home :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
In general, I clean them within days. But, I haven't cleaned my Noveske so far, after 1,200 rounds.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Absolutely after every use. Being that I work around drywall dust, paint, etc, I tend to clean them more often than that, at least my carry pistol I also like to clean them all every few weeks or months to prevent rust. My 1911 and FNP9-M tend to get a random detail strip (the 1911 more so) to insure proper lubrication of all the small parts.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
After each range trip. And each gun gets taken from the safe and oiled about once a year or so.

·
Registered
636 Posts
after every time unless i am testing loads and shoot 20 or less since its a ongoing process I find my self testing and testing ect!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
It depends.

My AR's, I clean after every month or 1000 rounds. My XCR I clean every couple thousand rounds. My glocks I clean....well, I don't really clean them. Every time I take them apart and lube them, they are relatively clean (the XCR is actually the same, but I clean it anyway), my other handguns I clean after I use them. The PS90 rarely gets shot, so it gets cleaned after every use, as do the hunting rifles and shotguns.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
One reason to clean a gun after every use is to inspect it for safety reasons. Yeah your gun might work fine after several sessions, but you never know when something might go wrong without your knowledge. To me that's worth tearing it down after every shoot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts