FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just started carrying my conceal weapon everyday. I clean my weapon once every two weeks depending on if I take her out to the range. After you clean her once how long do you need to wait to clean her again even if you have not fired a single round for long time?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Run a soaked patch down the barrel once a month if you haven't fired a round. Might as well lube the rails at the same time (assuming you're talking semi-auto pistol). If the firearm sits in your safe you can wait even longer. I hit my dormant weapon's barrels with lube 6-8 months (if I remember), and that's probably over doing it.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I usually shoot my carry gun at least once a month, so I typically clean it at least once a month. My HD gun, that usually goes 2- 3 months between cleanings (again, when I shoot it). It also doesn't get all sorts of lint on it, so I'll let it go longer.

Reactions: Spilz

·
Registered
166 Posts
When I shoot I clean it when I get home or the next day at the latest. Carry guns I clean once-a-month. Safe guns every blue moon or two whether they need it or not. All my guns are stainless-polymer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You need to consider the way you carry, your environment, and the handgun itself.

I'm in Florida. Its warm to hot most of the time. I carry in my right front pocket. I carry a Kahr PM-45.

For me, the main problems are perspiration and lint. Kahr's run pretty well just about "dry", so other than some very light grease on the rails and barrel lug, the rest of the pistol is almost completely dry.

If I was carrying my Sig P220 up north in a shoulder holster, there would be a totally different set of circumstances to deal with.

I clean my Kahr every few months. Last time I think it hadn't been cleaned in three months of daily carry. Took it out of my pocket in the back yard, and fired it until it was empty. No hangups. So it was an easy clean, and relube.

Back to the Sig up north... it might not get cleaned at all except to preserve the finish, as it wouldn't have sweat and dirt to constantly wipe off.

Its all really situational.... you gotta be the judge.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I was told guns are self cleaning so never.

Reactions: Turnanewleaf

·
Registered
66 Posts
I shoot all my guns regularly (I shoot 2-3 times a month) so I only clean my guns then. As for if a gun sits, lube and inspect every 6 months

·
Registered
876 Posts
Forget cleaning your CCW firearm.....There is something much more important then that. Changing out magazines and most importantly AMMO. I change mags and ammo ever 2-3 months. My father never changed ammo or mags for probably 2-3 years.....I bet him that his CCW would malfunction since the ammo in the mag had been in so long. First shot dented primer and no bang with Fed 9mm Hydro-shock! Second round fired and so did the rest after he cleared the malfunction. He shot the gun with range ammo and had issues with the magazine...Bunch of lint inside and some rusting. So make sure to change out that ammo and check the mag for issues. Here in Georgia you sweat like a MFer in the summer which leads to CCW issues.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I clean my carry gun once a week. I have a special kit dedicated just for that, so it's not a chore to break out the cleaning equipment and put back up. It's a wipe off and fresh lube basically. But I enjoy tinkering with it, and I feel confident with it at all times. I like the idea of rotating ammo. I shoot a mag of the good stuff like every two months or so, just to be familiar with the extra recoil. You shoot that cheap range stuff only and you might find yourself surprised at the recoil of the real deal ammo if ever needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts