FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to sign up for my MN CCW permit. With so many training providers in the area and prices varying so widely how the hell does anyone know if any particular provider is worth a damn?

Or should I just pick off a groupon and go to whatever local is offering a multi-state. Everyone here in Minnesota seems to offer either MN & Utah or MN & FLA.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sure, I can do that and get all the same PR stuff that they list on their "meet the team" web page. But that doesnt tell me if if I am going to be actually learning what I need to know or listening to war stories for 6 hours. Just wonder if you get what you pay for because I have talked to people from all over who have taken their class from all over and one thing that is universal to everyone I have talked to: they all think the one they went to is the best. And that is the one I need to go to. EVERY ONE OF THEM!

Nobody ever said they wished they had gone somewhere else. This makes me believe that they are all the same, and the only thing that matters is that in the end I will get my CCW permit. So I might as well just take the cheapest local groupon and be done. LOL didnt mean to sound negative but I can usually find plenty of Top Ten Best of this or that review/rating system, but NOTHING in regards to the topic at hand. *shrug*

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Metro defense is the only one on Yelp and are no longer scheduling classes. Wonder if they went under.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yep, they are on my short list. Also, Total Defense in Ramsey and MN Firearms Training in Anoka.

Ramsey is a bit farther but multistate permit for $135 for both the wife and I all inclusive. $125 for 2 all inclusive at MN Firearms Training but every time I look at the MN Firearms Training web site the first thing you see is some tramp with a magnum... and her booger hook on the trigger! http://mnfirearms.com/

Doesnt instill a feeling of safety and the trainer sound more like a backwoods survivalist gone trainer. Ok Maybe she isnt a tramp but she is wearing the uniform. lol

Also the Osseo Gun Club is where I shoot but the multistate part is listed as a separate class for $75 ea.

·
Registered
848 Posts
A lot of info here, Im too lazy to read all of it.

I joined several "shooting clubs" before I figured out what the first "club" was teaching, weird, but the training does set in.

If CCW is the thing you want; get that, then go find an advanced defense course for new shooters. The hope that a CCW class will teach you how to do advanced procedures is asking too much for a panty and beer-belly class. Unless the class your fiends took is not legit. I'd say 1 is enough, pick the one your firends told you, ace it, get your CCW behind you then worry about the advance steps later.

No hard feelings bro, but Im guessing your over-thinking this class. It's good you have the whole picture, tho.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Im not over analyzing it at all. Not talking about any type of advanced tactics. That stuff comes later. Im talking about taking a CCW permit class. The CCW permit is (or should be) a class on Minnesota law and basic stuff relating to carry in Minnesota (and possibly Florida/Utah).

I was just trying to find some type of info (reviews if you will) on who is good and who is not. If possible I want to avoid Joe Neckbone who knows more about military tactics than Minnesota Carry Law, telling me war stories for 6 hours. It happens. That's all nothing more.

Couple things, advanced tactics courses are not for new shooters. As for that Hopes for advanced tactics...beer and panties comment; that whole paragraph comes off like your looking down your nose while typing it. Maybe Im just over analyzing it. LOL.

That being said, I totally agree with what you say about just take a course and get the CCW. I truely believe that in the end ones success if you will in being a CCW permit holder comes down to who you are as a person.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I agree with Kakashi66218 on this one, your class will consist of seasoned gun owners to the cutesie girl that wants to be the center of attention, ( that's the one that had the AD in my class ) so don't expect to get much more than your card. There will be way to wide of skill set there to think any kind of tactics skills will be taught. Get your CCW and then find a good facility that offers many levels of training and start off with CCW 101 and build off of that for advanced level training. Any training facility worth 2 cents will require entry level training first, before taking any advanced tactics training classes, and that's a good thing because nobody wants to be " that guy " in advanced classes.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow I almost forgot about this thread. I did end up finally doing a class at Total Defense. Was trying to get wifey to go with me. She does like to shoot but she has her own priorities. LOL I found a groupon type outfit that apparently had purchased a block of class spots and were now trying to unload the remaining.

It cost me $16 to take my class. lol They must still have some class spots/certificates that they havent been able to sell.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's a good deal.
Me and a buddy were all set to take the weekly "defensive shooting" class at our favorite range... weapon handling, drawing, etc. The 'instructor' was a young retired Army ranger with a few too many tours under his belt. Good guy, well spoken, intelligent, consults for gun industry companies.
When we finally got a chance to sign up for the Saturday night class, the owners of the range looked at me crooked, and snuck sideways glances at each other when I asked if he'd be doing the classes soon. I followed the guy on social media and saw how busy he was consulting all around the country.
I had to laugh... the shop\range owners mother was behind the counter and kind of just shook her head. I knew what she meant and asked if he was "too aggressive" in class and they all sort of nodded. LOL!
I guess his style of training was geared more toward breaching a haji hut and taking down baddies than the type of training we were looking for.
SO now we have to wait till they start the classes again with different instructors, or pay thru the nose and go somewhere else.
I'm a firm believer in training. Practice, train, practice. If hunters in my state have to take a mandatory hunters safety course before they can hunt, the casual gun owner should also. I encourage everyone I know that wants to carry to take some sort of certified class on handling a gun at the very least.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
your class will consist of seasoned gun owners to the cutesie girl that wants to be the center of attention, ( that's the one that had the AD in my class ) so don't expect to get much more than your card.
Right on the mark. Not center of attention gals, but class seemed about evenly split between seasoned shooters and never fired before or maybe shot once type.

Besides my CCW, I got two things from the class in particular. A refresher on the state laws which I already knew (i have bookmarks in my favorites to them all). And I have a duty to retreat in nearly all situations. They did a very good job of putting things into perspective if you stumble upon a situation when things might look fairly clear; but unless you know... you just dont know.

One good example they used was, and ill keep it brief, you walk into the gas station and see the young clerk fighting with some hoodrat looking fellow. They are fighting over a pistol and the hoodrat guy wins possession and smacks the clerk in the face with the pistol and points it at his head. Question: do you shoot the guy w/ the gun? Several people in class said they would. Well they all just shot an undercover cop. Clerk was a drug dealer and this was the deal gone bad. Unless you know for a fact that the clerk is clean ie its your kid or the neighbor you've know for life and know for a fact is a total good semaritan no doubt about. You must back out.

Luckily for me my ranges have advanced interactive simulator rooms. Simulations geared toward civilians as well as officers. I plan on using them as well as live fire as much as I can afford.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts