FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So am wanting to replace the PWS factory brake on my 17S with something that isnt as brutal.
Am looking at the Surefire brake, BattkeComp and the new BCM compensator.

Now since these need to be timed, can I or should I use the factory jam nut?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
No, you can't use the jam nut on the 17 there isn't enough shoulder most every one is using a flash hider no timing needed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Im curious what you mean by the PWS being brutal?? (Sorry I really cant speak intelligently as to jam nut use, I went with a flash hider)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, you can't use the jam nut on the 17 there isn't enough shoulder most every one is using a flash hider no timing needed.
What do you mean you can't use the jam nut as there isn't enough shoulder?

The factory brake uses a jam nut.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
What do you mean you can't use the jam nut as there isn't enough shoulder?

The factory brake uses a jam nut.
Yes but a suppressor mount(brake) could cause a baffle strike if the mount is not parallel to the bore. The Scar does not have enough shoulder to correctly keep the brake in line with the bore. If your not going to use a supressor I *Don't think* it would be a issue but someone with more experience would need to verify

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally Im not too worried about the guy standing next to it, he should move haha Totally understand wanting to mod the rifle though, I would have kept the original brake because it was so effective, but I wanted to run my SDN-6 so I reluctantly switched the brake for a 51 tooth flash hider. Looking back I probably should have gone with the Brakeout, but I went with the blackout instead.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not wanting to mount a suppressor so a baffle strike is a non issue.

Just not keen on the PWS factory brake.

Have played with both a BattleComp and a BCM compensator mounted on AR15 rifles and both seemed to have less noise and concussion compared to the PWS mounted on another AR15.
So with that reasoning, am interested in trying the 308 versions of those brakes.

Now have seen that the Battlecomps can push the muzzle down slightly and that the BCM is more of a compromise, more for combat then say 3-gun. But those are the 2 that I'm looking at.

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
You can use the jam nut if you are not going to use a can.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Not wanting to mount a suppressor so a baffle strike is a non issue.
You'll be fine using the factory jam nut to index you muzzle brake SO LONG AS your doing as you say and NOT going to run a suppressor. :?

Of the two you seem to be down to I'd vote for the BattleComp over the BCM. I ran the 5.56 versions on my 16 and liked the Battlecomp better than the BCM but on the 17 I only tried the Battlecomp and not a BCM, if it's like the 5.56 version I'd have to stick with the Battlecomp.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll be fine using the factory jam nut to index you muzzle brake SO LONG AS your doing as you say and NOT going to run a suppressor. :?

Of the two you seem to be down to I'd vote for the BattleComp over the BCM. I ran the 5.56 versions on my 16 and liked the Battlecomp better than the BCM but on the 17 I only tried the Battlecomp and not a BCM, if it's like the 5.56 version I'd have to stick with the Battlecomp.

Now price wise theres about a $100 difference i price between the 2.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Did you find that the Battlecomp had a tendency to push the muzzle down? How would you compare it to the factory PWS brake?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Have played with both a BattleComp and a BCM compensator mounted on AR15 rifles and both seemed to have less noise and concussion compared to the PWS mounted on another AR15.
So with that reasoning, am interested in trying the 308 versions of those brakes.

Now have seen that the Battlecomps can push the muzzle down slightly and that the BCM is more of a compromise, more for combat then say 3-gun. But those are the 2 that I'm looking at.
I have a BA Battlecomp on my 21" barrel and I can tell you from my shooting buddy's experience that: 1) you will not get any appreciably less noise from the Battlecomp, 2) you will get slightly less blast that's noticeable, but it will make little difference to anyone beside you because it will still suck to be there.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Did you find that the Battlecomp had a tendency to push the muzzle down? How would you compare it to the factory PWS brake?
I didn't notice it pushing the muzzle down, more just help limited the amount of muzzle climb. I hate the factory muzzle brake, on all fronts, so almost anything I feel is an improvement. I feel the Battlecomp cuts the recoil about as much but the crazy muzzle blast is tamed down a lot more over the PWS and I see less flash with the Battlecomp.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts