FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Real Newbie question, I have a 40, I"ve heard with a barrel change you can convert to a 9mm. I'm not sure, I like the idea of swapping calibers.

My newbie question is, can you just get a 9 slide and put it on the 40 frame? I have a gut feeling there will be some differences, but, doesn't hurt to ask. TIA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Modifying my initial response:
More info in my later post.

"I have a 40, I've heard with a barrel change you can convert to a 9mm"

-I think with a straight slide swap, you need to install a 9mm EJECTOR to allow the 9mm slide to function. The EJECTORS are different, the .40 cal being thicker than the 9mm.

-You can buy a conversion barrel (.40 cal-9mm) which may need to be fitted. You may also need to install a different and modified EXTRACTOR into the .40 slide.

-You should also watch the BHSS .40 cal - 9mm Conversion Tutorial.
For this conversion, you need a 9mm barrel and a modified EXTRACTOR for the .40 cal slide. It looks quite easy to do. Perhaps I will attempt this in the next couple of weeks.

Yep!
You can swap slides,
I have done this both ways.

If it was a long term swap I think you want to put a 9mm EJECTOR in your .40 cal frame. Pretty sure both will work with both (it's been a while) but the 9mm EJECTOR works better with both than the .40 Ejector. The .40 EJECTOR may bump the slide as the slide retracts, as if it is misalligned, requiring a bit more force to pass the EJECTOR tip.

If you are going the other way (9mm barrel in .40 cal slide - see BHSS video) you might reshape the EXTRACTOR on the .40 slide for optimal performance.

*Magazines are interchangeable in a pinch, too. I often get my .40 cal mags mixed in with my 9mm mags.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep!
You can swap slides,
I have done this both ways.

If it was a long term swap I think you want to put a 9mm EJECTOR in your .40 cal frame. Pretty sure both will work with both (it's been a while) but the 9mm EJECTOR works better with both than the .40 Ejector. The .40 EJECTOR may bump the slide as the slide retracts, as if it is misalligned, requiring a bit more force to pass the EJECTOR tip.

If you are going the other way (9mm barrel in .40 cal slide - see BHSS video) you might reshape the EXTRACTOR on the .40 slide for optimal performance.

Magazines are interchangeable in a pinch, too. I often get my .40 cal mags mixed in with my 9mm mags.

Cheers,

Tim
Your talking about the ejector in the slide?
What about the barrel, I believe the 9 has two, and the 40 has 3 .. I"m not sure what they are called, but at the bottom of the back of the barrel.

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
What about the barrel, I believe the 9 has two, and the 40 has 3 .. I"m not sure what they are called, but at the bottom of the back of the barrel.
Ejectors are in the frame generally speaking and the extractor is in the slide generally speaking. Are you referring to the barrels locking lug? There isn't much on the bottom other than the lug. On the "back" you have the chamber block and feed ramp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ejectors are in the frame generally speaking and the extractor is in the slide generally speaking. Are you referring to the barrels locking lug? There isn't much on the bottom other than the lug. On the "back" you have the chamber block and feed ramp.
Yes.. the Lugs.. seems the 40 has like 3 and 9 has two.

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
Yes.. the Lugs.. seems the 40 has like 3 and 9 has two.
My apologies, I thought I saw FNP 40 to 9. You are correct the HP's .40 barrel has 3 locking lugs on top of the barrel whereas the 9mm pipe only has 2. I am no BHP expert and defer to our resident experts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apologies, I thought I saw FNP 40 to 9. You are correct the HP's .40 barrel has 3 locking lugs on top of the barrel whereas the 9mm pipe only has 2. I am no BHP expert and defer to our resident experts.
You could be right, I might have written FNP, it wouldnt be the first time I've mangled my thoughs.. I had to re read, just to verify..LOL.. all good. thanks Bro.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got a couple pistols out for you guys to check this all out... so thanks, it's always fun to have a bunch of High Powers on my desk!

Yes.
Although the frames are the same, the EJECTORS are different. When putting a complete 9mm SLIDE on a .40 cal FRAME you will want/need to install a 9mm EJECTOR in the .40 cal frame.

Re the barrel lugs, you are correct. If you search for a BHSS video, Mark explains that the 9mm barrel works in the .40 cal slide. I just took a couple apart and swapped barrels. Yes, it does seem to function fine on my bench (9mm barrel in .40 cal slide). I have never fired my .40 cal slides with a 9mm barrel in place.

As for swapping complete slide assemblies (9mm and .40 cal) between different frames:
-9mm slide on .40 frame:
-2004 Browning .40 cal frame will not accept 2002 9mm FN slide or SA-35 slide... too tight in the rails.
-2003 FN Frame accepts both 9mm slides but hang up at the tip of the .40 cal EJECTOR
* You probably need a 9mm EJECTOR to function properly. It is likely that on learning I needed a different EJECTOR, and having fewer BHP-smithing skills, I gave up on this part of my conversion project years ago. Happily, this saved my then brand new 2003 blued FN .40 Vigilante from years of abuse. It has been in my safe for quite some time in pristine condition.

-.40 slide on 9mm frame:
-2004 .40 cal slide fits nicely on the 2002 9mm FN and SA-35 frames, both seem to function correctly on my bench.
-Same results with 2003 .40 cal frame
*I am certain I range tested this configuration with good results years ago...

-9mm barrel in .40 cal slide:
-Both 9mm barrels seem to function fine on my bench while installed in both .40 cal slides. I have not tried this arrangement on the range. If BHSS says it works... Look at the Tutorial.
*This looks to me to be the simplest way to shoot 9mm from a .40 cal slide. Traditionally you would buy a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel. You would still need to change the EXTRACTOR and may need to have the barrel fitted?

Check out the BHSS Tutorial.

I am going to modify my earlier post to reflect my experimentation from tonight.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a couple pistols out for you guys to check this all out... so thanks, it's always fun to have a bunch of High Powers on my desk!

Yes.
Although the frames are the same, the EJECTORS are different. When putting a complete 9mm SLIDE on a .40 cal FRAME you will want/need to install a 9mm EJECTOR in the .40 cal frame.

Re the barrel lugs, you are correct. If you search for a BHSS video, Mark explains that the 9mm barrel works in the .40 cal slide. I just took a couple apart and swapped barrels. Yes, it does seem to function fine on my bench (9mm barrel in .40 cal slide). I have never fired my .40 cal slides with a 9mm barrel in place.

As for swapping complete slide assemblies (9mm and .40 cal) between different frames:
-9mm slide on .40 frame:
-2004 Browning .40 cal frame will not accept 2002 9mm FN slide or SA-35 slide... too tight in the rails.
-2003 FN Frame accepts both 9mm slides but hang up at the tip of the .40 cal EJECTOR
* You probably need a 9mm EJECTOR to function properly. It is likely that on learning I needed a different EJECTOR, and having fewer BHP-smithing skills, I gave up on this part of my conversion project years ago. Happily, this saved my then brand new 2003 blued FN .40 Vigilante from years of abuse. It has been in my safe for quite some time in pristine condition.

-.40 slide on 9mm frame:
-2004 .40 cal slide fits nicely on the 2002 9mm FN and SA-35 frames, both seem to function correctly on my bench.
-Same results with 2003 .40 cal frame
*I am certain I range tested this configuration with good results years ago...

-9mm barrel in .40 cal slide:
-Both 9mm barrels seem to function fine on my bench while installed in both .40 cal slides. I have not tried this arrangement on the range. If BHSS says it works... Look at the Tutorial.
*This looks to me to be the simplest way to shoot 9mm from a .40 cal slide. Traditionally you would buy a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel. You would still need to change the EXTRACTOR and may need to have the barrel fitted?

Check out the BHSS Tutorial.

I am going to modify my earlier post to reflect my experimentation from tonight.

Cheers,

Tim
good stuff, I'm not sure what to do.. luckily, I'm not in a rush, but I would like to know the options available.

What Im getting though is that the slide will work, but you need a 9mm ejector, as like the the fellow on the video points out.. caliber is different and you need a larger ejector to reach the smaller 9mm.. still not very clear regarding the lack of a 3rd lug on the 9.

Good videos. btw, gonna watch some more.

·
Registered
52 Posts
good stuff, I'm not sure what to do.. luckily, I'm not in a rush, but I would like to know the options available.

What I'm getting though is that the slide will work, but you need a 9mm ejector, as like the the fellow on the video points out.. caliber is different and you need a larger ejector to reach the smaller 9mm.. still not very clear regarding the lack of a 3rd lug on the 9.

Good videos. btw, gonna watch some more.
I'm just correcting one word -

If you are referring to the BHSS Tutorial about using a 9mm barrel in the .40 caliber slide - you need to change the EXTRACTOR in the slide using a home modified EXTRACTOR.

Seating a 9mm barrel in the .40 caliber slide, the barrel locks up very nicely with no more movement/play (wiggle room) than the original .40 cal barrel. Because the lugs are the same, I'm guessing the 9mm does barrel not need the third lug.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just correcting one word -

If you are referring to the BHSS Tutorial about using a 9mm barrel in the .40 caliber slide - you need to change the EXTRACTOR in the slide using a home modified EXTRACTOR.

Seating a 9mm barrel in the .40 caliber slide, the barrel locks up very nicely with no more movement/play (wiggle room) than the original .40 cal barrel. Because the lugs are the same, I'm guessing the 9mm does barrel not need the third lug.

Cheers,

Tim
Yes, EXTRACTOR, thank you and thank you very very much for the replies. Extremely informative and as I go through, this little journey, I'm sure I'll have some more questions. again, thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts