FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was my second trip out to the range with my five seven. All I can say is thank god my 5 7 has adjustable sights. Don't know how you guys with fixed sights deal with different ammo?

First of all for windage with all types of ammo I am all the way over to the right. My rear sight is pretty much adjusted all the way over as far as it will go to the right for all rounds. There are still a few clicks of adjustment left, but not much. But I am fine with that, I am sure it is within spec.

I am just amazed at how much I have to adjust the elevation when i switch loads. I sighted the gun in at 25 feet for SS198. I then switched over to the AE 40 gr loading. Since this is the cheapest ammo available, I suspect it is the ammo I will be shooting most often. Though hardly cheap at 500 rounds for $199 delivered! Anyway I had to adjust the rear sight up 10 clicks to sight the AE in. Windage was fine and left unadjusted. I have never had to adjust the sights on a handgun that much when switching loads! That is significant.

What do you guys with fixed sights do?

Anyway I was very happy with the way I shot the 5 7 today. My groups have tightened up considerably. The gun also has performed flawlessly through 300 rounds. The most impressive thing is how clean the gun is. I cleaned it when I picked it up. After 300 rounds it looks like it has not be fired inside. Amazing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The huge shift in POI is normal. The guns are sighted in at the factory using SS195. In my experience, SS198 shoots too high and the rear sight won't adjust enough to make up for it. So i set the target on top of the front aight instead of directly behind it lol.

Also, $199 for 500 rounds is cheaper than .45! And compared to what 5.7 used to be a year ago, it's super cheap lol. The fixed rear sight can be drifted left and right for wind age adjustment. If you are shooting to the right and you are left handed, then you aren't shooting properly. If you're right handed, then I'm not sure what's going on. Mine did not need adjusted that far for windage.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
The easy fix is if you plan on mainly using the slower rounds sight the pistol for that and use that ammo.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What was the actual POI difference between the SS198 and the AE ammo in inches at 25 feet (8.33 yds)?
Going from memory, when sighted in for the SS198, the AE 40gr was hitting about 3 to 4 inches low. Closer to 4 inches. It took 10 clicks up to zero the AE.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I only have 10 clicks for elevation from top to bottom. I found mine needs to be at 5 clicks for 198 ( mid way) but for ae ammo I have to go 5 clicks up ( maxed out)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, 25 feet. I have some ss192, ss197 and ss195 but haven't shot them at that range to see how they compare. But knowing where to set my sights helps to practice with the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here is what I did today, using SS197 and AE5728, at 8 yards, from a rest. 5 shot groups.
Granted, this was my first outing with the Five-seveN, but not my first time to a range.

No, I did not adjust the sights between groups. Nor did I adjust them afterwards.

These splatter targets are 2 inches in diameter.

If you take the center of the groups, they are basically in the same place. I.e. no POI shift. at 8 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Also, I did a test of 3 SS197 and 3 AE5728 staggered in one magazine. Again, from a rest. Basically, you could not tell any POI shift at 8 yards.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Not a 5 7 owner, but do have a PS90, I have noticed dramatic swings with AE ammo compared to FN....I've run a couple hundred of each, and can only stay consistant with FN ammo. I feel you have to use good ammo to shoot at a target accurately, but if your just going to cycle rounds through the gun, run the cheap crap. Sometimes you have to make a trade-off when you're trying to get comfortable with the action, but never with your accuracy.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is what I did today, using SS197 and AE5728, at 8 yards, from a rest. 5 shot groups.
Granted, this was my first outing with the Five-seveN, but not my first time to a range.

No, I did not adjust the sights between groups. Nor did I adjust them afterwards.

These splatter targets are 2 inches in diameter.

If you take the center of the groups, they are basically in the same place. I.e. no POI shift. at 8 yards.
Sure that makes sense. They are both 40gr projectiles traveling at about the same rate. The difference really comes between the 27gr bullets (SS195 and SS198) and the 40gr bullets you tested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts