FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am letting my 17 son use my scar 17 for deer hunting in ny state next week. Im looking for a good deer round that has the same or very close trajectory as the prvi 145 grain ammo that the rifle has been sighted in for. Anyone have any recomendations?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Federal fusion 150 grain. Very accurate round out of my 17, and similar trajectory to prvi as that is what I use mostly as well. I've taken two deer with the fusion, just enough punch and expansion, and doesn't blow straight through. Hope this helps

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Yup. Fusion works well. 150gr to 168gr are best for deer. Prefer Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 150gr here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, Keep the suggestions coming. I have to take him to cabelas tomorrow night for thermals, snow boots, ammo, etc. Looking at trajectorys of ammo it seems like most 308 is zeroed for 200 yards. I will not have time to rezero the gun with new ammo thats why i need to find something close.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
There's not much hunting info on this forum. You may try an outdoor forum that is dedicated to hunting or has a sub-forum for hunting. There are many of these, and there are many threads on ammo, rifles, etc. But most any "hunting round" between 150-168gr will work out of the 17S for deer in the USA. You'll just need to decide which grain, 150 or 168, and then which load. If your son does his part then the projectile should do its part. :) Maybe just look at the Fusion and the Silvertip on GOOGLE for deer hunting and see what others have already posted. Not to mention your choice may be made for you - what ammo is on the shelf when you shop :)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Ya not much hunting info. For the 17, 150gr silver tips or the fusion. Honestly, no forum is going to tell you what will be close in the 17. If you know where some of your Bthp ammo is landing at I'd use that and plug both shoulders. (Unless its a total meat hunt)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I've been looking for something similar to 147gr M80 ball for a while, like I did with my M1A back in '09, but decided earlier in the week to give Mk 319 Mod 0 a try instead. While light for a 7.62 round, supposedly it's similar to Barnes hunting rounds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wish there was more Scar hunting related topics too as I just picked one up myself last month. We've been hunting with ARs for over 20 years, but all the new calibers just have made everything so much better. Here in rural Alaska, the Indians & Whites all use old military rifles, so it was a natural to move up to ARs with 2 point slings chasin down wolves & caribou on snowmachines. I reload, have my own back porch bench, and chrono; so I figure I'm somewhat serious about my ammo. When we lived back east south of Lake Erie in Pa, used Nosler Partitions in my 270's and 7 mags for deer; worked well enough; 150-160 grains. I just felt confident short or long shots. Have been using 110 Barnes TTSX's in my 6.8 spc; 2700 on chrono. Have killed all kinds of caribou, a couple wolves every winter, and Spring bear at my bait barrel. Believe it or not, no bear has ever went over 20-30 yards; our bear are small, 150-350 lbs. Actually, the wolves are the hard to put down with one shot, but that's what the clip is for I guess. I've dropped wolves, had them tear off stumblin into the brush and track them buggers a couple hundred yards, they are tough. I have an AR-10 in 338 fed, uses 210 Nosler Partitions, got 3 moose with that gun last season. Biggest bull, I hit him in lungs and he did a three step shuffle across the road and fell in the ditch; I like them that way too. I looked back in my chrono book and it's going 2600 out of the barrel. We killed a few caribou too with that gun. Haven't hunted with the Scar yet, but will when the kids come home from school at Xmas. Picked up a bunch of boxes of hornady 165 SST's, should work. I'm going to load up some 165 Nosler Partitions in 308 too. 308 win is a great moose gun too, you see the old Indian Women hunting with 308s and they get their share of everything out there. I probably have close to 50 boxes of 30 cal bullets on my bench, so I'll be trying them all in the Scar eventually. But, pick up a few boxes of Nosler Partitions in 308; can't go wrong with that bullet; and good luck for your boy with the Whitetail. We live along the Upper Yukon, near Canadian Border and Whitetails are starting to move in from Canada; hope I get the chance to shoot a few myself before my days are done on this good Earth.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Im using american eagle,Win.Silvertip and Fusion in my scar 17. Love them all but find the slivertip to be more accurate but not cheaper to shoot though. :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
If at all possible, re-zero (and chrono) the rifle with both your PRVI 145gr and your hunting load. The deer will thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They will be woods hunting so i really dont see anything dont see any shoots being fired over 60 yards.
I did go with the fusion. I do have to get the components to reload 308.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I use these for white tail.... never had one get away yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with a lot of what the others are using. I used 168gr. Win. Silver tips last year and they were great, but this year I will be using the Barnes Vortex .308. I've hear a lot of good things about Barnes Vortex ammo and have great 200yd groups to prove it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts