FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Sorry if this has been posted before, I did search for info and there is a lot of talk about scopes but did not find any specifi info for hunting.

I will be hunting for small animals and big ones such as deer, etc. Weigh is an issue since I have to walk a lor sometimes, money is not an issue.

Here are my comments and questions:

My current set up for both of my Scar 17's FDE are Elcan Specter Dr. 1-4x. I know the Elcan is a battle rifle scope but can it be used for hunting as well?

I also like the Mark 8 CQBSS 1-8x but don't know what reticle would be the best one for hunting and don't know either if it is suitable for hunting? The only thing I don't like about he Mark8 is the weight, with the mark 8 IMS mount it's 1,97 pounds vs the 1.41 pounds of the Elcan, that's a lot.

please make comments about these two scopes and what other very good or the best hunting scopes out there between 1-8x and what reticle you suggest.

thanks a lot in advance

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blackmoor that is a good scope but it is 2.06pounds without a mount so thst would be msybe 2.5 or 2.7pounds with a good mount, too heavy for my taste and for walking long distances. The Mark 8 is 1.95pounds with mount and I think that's heavy, (personal opinion) maybe all the good hunting scopes would be heavy, that's why I need opinions and help.

·
Registered
609 Posts
the elcan is more than adequate for typical deer hunting ranges.

i like my nightforce 2.5-10x32 moar. season before last i was using a trijicon 3-9x tr20g mildot which worked pretty well. i wouldnt feel crippled if i used a good 1-4x like my tr24g from trijicon. i run all adm qd mounts so swapping optics depending on need isnt an issue

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I think you'll be very happy with your Elcans for hunting. Here's what I am going with:
Vortex Optics - Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 JM-1<br />BDC
The Leopold Mk6 and Mark8 are both great options as well. SeaMac will tell you to go with the Mark 6. Kev will tell you to go with the Mark 8. BigBuckeyeGuy will tell you to stick with your Elcans. LESTER will most likely tell you that the SCAR doesn't require an optic :lol: To each their own. Any one of those options should suit your purpose just fine. If you find something you DON'T like about one of those, I'd really like to hear the cons.
I hope your ready for 15 different opinions....:biggrin:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Trijicon TR20-2G, 3-9x40 with green MIL-DOT reticle. Weighs 13 oz, battery free illumination, great glass for low light performance. This is what I have mounted on my SCAR 17 that I use to hunt hogs with. Several of my buddies also have this scope on other rifles they use to hunt with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First still on my list is the Elcan SDR 1.5/6 x7.62 (for a range/hunting 1 optic solution). 2nd too is the Mk8 1.1-8 CQBSS, I’m not convinced (yet) it can knock the Elcan off 1rst place. If the Mk8, I’d get the ‘faster’ target acquisition mil M-TMR reticle.
What ranges are you looking at the .308/4x won’t suffice?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts

I took these two last year with this trijicon 3-9X mil dot. That being said I just upgraded to a MK6 3-18. Which is too heavy for what your looking for but I think it's a good choice for target inspection and I prefer higher magnification. The shots with the 3-9X triji were taken at 109 and 135 yards with no issues. I would reccomend it 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. It works well on low mag at night too. And... Its light as heck for what you get.

·
Registered
379 Posts
both are good scopes, reticle should be 7.62 hold over, if you are going to dial your scope the Lupy with hold over, Hold over is fine. BDC reticles are a educated guess, they are not set for all ammo and all elevations.
no need to stick to a 1x ? if it is for hunting you can start at 2.5 or 3x, this gives you more latitude for other scope, 1x is both eyes open CQB and deer are not going to be in the 5 yard range?

I suggest, controlled lit reticle, 30mm tube, BDC and dial capable side focus for parallax.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Nice pigs!

Reactions: Brett B

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks! The two black ones were mine taken with the SCAR 17. The orange one was my buddies LWRC 6.8SPC, also running the same TR20-2G scope.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Its a great scope! I'll be moving it to the 16s and it will still be in service. for the price, weight and clarity its hard to beat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A scope for hunting small animals and big ones such as deer and keeping light weight = 2 scopes
Different uses different requirements. (different weights) no such single scope.
A compermise scope is just that. No jack of all trades.
Varmint scopes are typically 6x24 power (or such) and weight typically 20oz or more. Fine cross hairs. Its ovious why.
A Deer scope is lower power maby 3x9 or 2x7 and 10-120z. (wide field of view good, less weight for humpin the rifle around the woods)
Duplix type cross hairs due to quicker and easier to aquire the prey in a low contrast area.
My opnion is just that.... 2 good scopes 1 each mission instead of 1 super expensive one that is a compermise.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The Elcan is fine for dropping yotes and pigs, but for game I go with a higher power scope. I want a precise shot on my deer so I don't ruin any meat. The leupold Mark AR is not too pricey and worked well for me last year. I upgraded to a Nightforce 2.5-10x42, and it did add quite a bit of weight to my rifle. I'm not sure if it was worth the extra coin or weight gain for NV capabilities yet, but we'll see once I get my NV setup.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One scope that gets overlooked that does alot of stuff well is the NF 2.5-10x24, which has been available only to the military. Its pretty light at 17oz and under 10" long. It collects a surprising amount of light for what it is, and there just happens to be a special run of them with moa controls available at eurooptic. Zero stop, nv compatable lit reticle, tactical style elevation turret and capped windage. It is a good choice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would seriously look at the March F 1-8x24. Weighs about a pound and is 10 inches long. Glass is superb and the scope can handle the Scar 17.
skip

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RHINOWSO, those Kahles look good and they are really light, I don't know them, never heard of them, are they good? anybody has used them?

thanks,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am looking at the swaroski Z6i 1.7-10x42 and it is very light, only 1.1pounds without mount, I am not sure which mount would be good for it but seems like it might be the lightest combo with a scope in the 10x range, what do you all think?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts