FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One reason why I bought the Scar was my daughter wanted to hunt deer with me. Yesterday I got her shooting it and she loved it, and did fairly well. So we loaded up and headed to the field to hunt. She had never shot at a deer till yesterday at 5:30. Well here is the results. The doe was at 60 yards and the buck was at 90 yards. The foe dropped in her tracks and the buck, despite being shot through both lungs and the heart went 100+ yards.
enjoy.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My favorite Scar 17 photos are the ones from hunting. I think the best part of this photo is the great big smile on your daughter's face. Hunting with your Daughter and your Scar 17...isn't that called Heaven ?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Woodkiller, your daughter.. looks elated, & that can't be a put on.
You are lucky to have each other in a great sportsman ( + woman) activity.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Beautiful Work!

Michigan has magazine restrictions for hunting... ??? ... My son bought a 5 round mag for his 17; it does not function. He was planning on using it this year, but (always)...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Really great work hats off to you for educating your daughter and congrats on the hunting success. :th_sign0098::th_smiley_436::welldoneif4:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hailstorm, I am currently using a Federal Premium 168 grain BBTHP. I bought the round and it worked out well on both the deer that my daughter shot.
Flyingpoint, it is a Primary Arms 1×6 I think, and it has a illuminated reticle. It works well, but I may get one with more magnification for my old eyes!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Every deer I've ever shot has run. One year I decided to play sniper and used a Tikka Tactical in .223. Used 77 grain bullet, precise neck shot... darn thing still managed to go maybe 20 yards. I normally use a mag fed Ruger .44 Carbine... many times I've gotten a solid kill shot, deer runs, I follow it through the scope debating on whether to take a second shot, and then it piles up just as I started to take up trigger pressure.

I do sometimes hunt with military style rifles with big mags. And I really prefer the smaller capacity ones. Not because of the law. Because of the size and weight. I was thinking of using my Ruger Gunsite rifle this year. If I do, I'll use the flush fitting 3 round poly mag. A lot easier to carry the rifle one handed than with an unneeded 10 round mag.

G

·
Registered
660 Posts
Completely AWESOME! A super congratulations for the young woman with that life long remembered smile seen by her father. My hat is off to you sir for making sure she was prepared, practiced, safe and ready for the blessing that the hunt is! May this be the beginning of many years in the field together for you both. LOVE IT!! :welldoneif4:

Reactions: Woodkiller
1 - 20 of 26 Posts