FN Herstal Firearms banner

Hunting with the PS90

7K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  ALLAN 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone had had any experience hunting with the PS90? I got out with mine this weekend and successfully bagged my first Deer with with my PS90. My PS90 has the standard reflex sight which so many on this forum complain about. The sight as well as the rest of the PS90 performed flawlessly.

Hope to hear from any others out there with any hunting experience with their PS90's...

#3 ·
While this question may be moot, as you have proven it possible, but is a 5.7 x 28 legal to hunt with in most areas? I thought it was just too small of a round to hunt with for most states?

FM

PS I don't hunt myself, so I know very little of the hunting laws/requirements. IE Go easy on me with flames. ^_^

#5 ·
While this question may be moot, as you have proven it possible, but is a 5.7 x 28 legal to hunt with in most areas? I thought it was just too small of a round to hunt with for most states?

Most areas prohibit rimfire cartridges but .22 should be ok in centerfire (.223 for example). That said I would not want to be seen hunting with a PS90 by a game warden.

#6 ·
The deer was taken at approximately 40 yards. I first observed the deer running from left to right with its right side exposed. I fired 3 shots at the deer striking it 2 times. The deer then stopped running and continued at an extremely slow pace indicating that the shots were effective. I then placed 1 more shot into the deer at which time it dropped to the ground.

I was using SS195 ammo out of a 10 round magazine with 6 rounds loaded.

The local law where I live states as previously mentioned
"firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition" as being the only limitation.

I copied and pasted that right out of the Hunting manual.

The only minor deviation being that the magazine is not supposed to be able to hold more than 6 rounds. I contacted my local Conservation Officer and he advised that as long as I only loaded 6 rounds I would be fine.

Any other questions let me know.

#8 ·
I have recently shot wild pigs with mine using the 197 load.

Both were 30 pounders. One was shot in the neck at about 25 yards, dropped where it stood and shook for a few seconds. The bullet created a respectable exit wound.

The second was shot by a friend using the same gun and load. It was hit directly in the shoulder. The bullet jacket was seperated from the bullet core. The jacket was visible inside the entry and pulled out for examination.

I was not present for skinning of butchering so I cannot advise of internal damage at this time.

#9 ·
The deer was taken at approximately 40 yards. I first observed the deer running from left to right with its right side exposed. I fired 3 shots at the deer striking it 2 times. The deer then stopped running and continued at an extremely slow pace indicating that the shots were effective. I then placed 1 more shot into the deer at which time it dropped to the ground.

I was using SS195 ammo out of a 10 round magazine with 6 rounds loaded.

The local law where I live states as previously mentioned
"firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition" as being the only limitation.

I copied and pasted that right out of the Hunting manual.

The only minor deviation being that the magazine is not supposed to be able to hold more than 6 rounds. I contacted my local Conservation Officer and he advised that as long as I only loaded 6 rounds I would be fine.

Any other questions let me know.
So a fellow New Yorker bought a PS90... even with the limited 10 rd capacity? I've considered one for a home defense gun, but the 10 rounds turns me off a little. Other than that how do you like it?

#14 ·
Here in Pennsylvania we can't hunt anything other than birds with autoloaders. Double action revolvers are out too.

I hunt across the border in NY. I had no idea I could use my PS90! I'll have to stick a piece of wood into on of my mags to make it low capacity. I already got my NY deer for this year. But I'll be sure to use the PS90 and share the experience in 2008. I'm psyched!

So what's NY say about lasers? :cool: [/i]

#15 ·
[/i]

Most areas prohibit rimfire cartridges but .22 should be ok in centerfire (.223 for example). That said I would not want to be seen hunting with a PS90 by a game warden.
Why would a TP&W GW care if you are hunting with a PS90?

#17 ·
I NH you can only have 6 rounds in autoloaders.

While any lever action can be loaded to the max, all auto loaders are limited to the magic number 6 (while deer hunting).

For deer hunting though, I prefer my Savage 300 99G (1936) or my Winchester 94 .30WCF (1943 era) to do the job.

Editted to add "while deer hunting".

#18 ·
MY STASH

COLT AR15 10in.AIMPOINT W/AWC RAIDER CAN REMINGTON LTR .308 LEOPOLD W/AWC THUNDERTRAP CAN BERRETA 92F W/ AWC TITANIUM ABRAXAS CAN AWC SUPPRESSED RUGER MKIII .22 AWC SUPPRESSED RUGER 10/22 W/ LEOPOLD GREEN PS90 ALL STOCK :cry: 2 YUGO AK UNDERFOLDERS VECTOR UZI CARBINE 9mm SIG 556 ALL STOCK :cry: GLOCK 23 8)

#19 ·
Re: MY STASH

WARANDPEACE said:
COLT AR15 10in.AIMPOINT W/AWC RAIDER CAN REMINGTON LTR .308 LEOPOLD W/AWC THUNDERTRAP CAN BERRETA 92F W/ AWC TITANIUM ABRAXAS CAN AWC SUPPRESSED RUGER MKIII .22 AWC SUPPRESSED RUGER 10/22 W/ LEOPOLD GREEN PS90 ALL STOCK :cry: 2 YUGO AK UNDERFOLDERS VECTOR UZI CARBINE 9mm SIG 556 ALL STOCK :cry: GLOCK 23 8)
What are you stating? Your list of guns? That doesn't really go here... Normally, I wouldn't say anything - but you only have 2 posts here on the site - and neither is a good way to start off. Your first seemed to ask about making a PS90 full auto - but your wording wasn't very clear. That isn't a good question for your very first post here. Then this post that makes no sense.

Please keep your messages somewhat on topic and also read the forum rules that are stickied at the top of every forum.

#22 ·

Because of the 50 round capacity and unusual look of the weapon. The fact that it's completely legal would not matter in such a situation. If they thought something was up and confiscated your gear your best case scenario probably involves you spending $$ to fight for your stuff back. Worst case is of course jail when you fail to shut up and just let it go.

The only way to win this fight is to not get in it in the first place - that means don't draw attention to yourself or otherwise present yourself as anything other than an average joe hunting with the plainest weapon possible.

BTW, I am not saying that GW's are crooked. There is just more potential for abuse in a typical game warden vs hunter encounter than in other police situations.

#23 ·
Because of the 50 round capacity and unusual look of the weapon. The fact that it's completely legal would not matter in such a situation.
I can't see a Game Warden taking your gun because of this. If it's legal it's legal. And if a rookie warden did take it because he didn't know if it was legal, I don't think you would have to pay fee's or lawyers to get it back.

You sound like you know what you are talking about, and since I have never had a gun taken from me I cannot speak from experience, but this just does not seem right.

#24 ·

Because of the 50 round capacity and unusual look of the weapon. The fact that it's completely legal would not matter in such a situation. If they thought something was up and confiscated your gear your best case scenario probably involves you spending $$ to fight for your stuff back. Worst case is of course jail when you fail to shut up and just let it go.

The only way to win this fight is to not get in it in the first place - that means don't draw attention to yourself or otherwise present yourself as anything other than an average joe hunting with the plainest weapon possible.

BTW, I am not saying that GW's are crooked. There is just more potential for abuse in a typical game warden vs hunter encounter than in other police situations.
You must have met some f'ed up GW's.
Texas doesn't have any mag cap laws and some people even hunt hogs with supressed AR's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.