FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start with a Remington 700 300 WM action. I am wondering if you guys know if I can just buy the action anywhere or am I going to need to buy the compete rifle and sell off the stock? There are several different variations of 300 WM barreled actions so which should I be looking for?

Then I was thinking about the MDT Tac21 chassis. It uses AR Stocks so it looks like the PRS might be the best option but those mothers are heavy. So any stock recommendations preferably with adjustable cheek riser would be ideal.

I can handle the optics choice. I'm looking to shoot 1K with this set up. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Reactions: hillbillyjim

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts

MK13 MOD5 | HIGH CALIBER SALES, LLC

Honestly I was looking at 300Win Mag for a long time but by the time I built what I wanted and cost of ammo I decided if I go for more than my 308 will do why go only slightly longer range. I rethought the whole thing I decided for the money invested up to 1600yrds in .338 Lapua was a better way.

Take a look at Sako TRG 42 and give it some thought before investing. With the Sako it's a plug and play rifle, nothing needs to be done but to break it in and shoot it comes with everything you'd need but glass and accessories.
Sako TRG 42 338 Lapua Black Rifle JRSW344 Demo for sale!

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess i should have mentioned my $2K budget for the rifle (sans optic). I honestly dont even know where the nearest range that is longer than 1K yards is (a simple google search would clear that up but you know what im saying). If I end up in Montana when I retire or get out of this sandy stink pot I will comsoder 338. For now its the 300WM in my crosshairs.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Find yourself an older Sako TRGS, will be way under your budget, and build from there. You should easily be under $2,000 without optics when you're done and have a rifle that is way better than the Remington. I would also shy away from the 300WM and look at 300 or 338 RUM as the long range choice or 338 Lapua for really stretching it out. My two cents.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I guess i should have mentioned my $2K budget for the rifle (sans optic). I honestly dont even know where the nearest range that is longer than 1K yards is (a simple google search would clear that up but you know what im saying). If I end up in Montana when I retire or get out of this sandy stink pot I will comsoder 338. For now its the 300WM in my crosshairs.
I wouldn't build then, if your set on 300Win Mag I'd suggest looking at Armalite or Savage complete rifle. You'll have better luck selling later.

Savage Arms
Armalite AR-30 A1 Rifle .300 Win Mag 24in 5rd Black

But I'd still advice 338 Lapua, buy once and have the equipment to grow with down the road even if your not taking advantage of it full range right away. My .02 :wink:

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I wouldn't build then, if your set on 300Win Mag I'd suggest looking at Armalite or Savage complete rifle. You'll have better luck selling later.

Savage Arms
Armalite AR-30 A1 Rifle .300 Win Mag 24in 5rd Black

But I'd still advice 338 Lapua, buy once and have the equipment to grow with down the road even if your not taking advantage of it full range right away. My .02 :wink:
But the damn price of ammo! Yikes!

I'll say 6.5 Creedmoor or 264 Remington if you're going to be shooting 1000 yards. It'll do just fine at those ranges (and a bit further) and they are sooo much easier to shoot than a 300 win mag.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But the damn price of ammo! Yikes!

I'll say 6.5 Creedmoor or 264 Remington if you're going to be shooting 1000 yards. It'll do just fine at those ranges (and a bit further) and they are sooo much easier to shoot than a 300 win mag.
300 WM is the cheapest option ammo wise out of all of those mentioned. It also has a hell of a versatile nature for reloading purposes. It also can do exactly what I want it too which is fly accurately to 1k yards.

I took a peak at that armalite rifle and it certainly looks interesting. I guess it would be easier to sell (God forbid) if I had to. I am not planning on resale but it doesn't hurt to have the option. Still considering building one though. Just for fun.

Reactions: byoung

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I took a peak at that armalite rifle and it certainly looks interesting. I guess it would be easier to sell (God forbid) if I had to. I am not planning on resale but it doesn't hurt to have the option. Still considering building one though. Just for fun.

I don't fault you for wanting to build something vs buying, just bringing up input to keep you from missing other options.

I'll share something I've been keeping quiet, I have one boltgun mainly cause I've been focusing on getting my semi-autos that I've been wanting before I get serious on precision boltguns cause they can get crazy. I have been keeping in my list to do is 6x47mm Lapua in a M40 configuration.

Want to see some crazy shooting. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
The DTA is the cat's ass. A used Sako would be under budget. If your set on building I would start with a Savage, or Tikka. The actions are much smoother, and you won't have to replace the trigger, drill and tap the reciever, thread the barrell, true the action yada, yada. I built one on a Remington, and wished I had started with something better.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hell of a shooter. Hell of a rifle. I wish they weren't so GD expensive. I was drooling all over them a few hours ago.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The DTA is the cat's ass. A used Sako would be under budget. If your set on building I would start with a Savage, or Tikka. The actions are much smoother, and you won't have to replace the trigger, drill and tap the reciever, thread the barrell, true the action yada, yada. I built one on a Remington, and wished I had started with something better.
This I did not know. I only own semi autos aside from one bolt .22. I really like the accutrigger. Which savage action would you recommend?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
This I did not know. I only own semi autos aside from one bolt .22. I really like the accutrigger. Which savage action would you recommend?
My buddy has an older Savage (can't remember what model), it is pre-accutrigger and the trigger on it is much much better than the accutrigger. It's maybe 3 pounds and breaks great. I'm not the biggest fan of normal accutriggers (although Savages F-class gun with a 1.25 pound accutrigger is pretty damn awesome, but it better be for a gun that expensive)

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is your goal with the rifle? Target shooting? Long Range varmint shooting? Mid range big game hunting? The caliber I would choose for each of these applications would be different.

All the records are being set with the 6.5 ammo, if you're worried about ammo price you have to ask yourself again what is the goal, and really how much ammo will you really be going through with this build.

Remington 700 is a great action for availability but not my favorite. My Sako actions are far superior and even Tikka (made by Sako) are fantastic. I also prefer the Savage action over the Remington 700, but it's a matter of personal preference. If you weren't in Kuwait (lol) I'd offer you to come out to my ranch and shoot a few different actions and calibers to see what you like. I have 2 Remington 700's, Sako Model 85, Tikka T3, 5 different Savages, Mauser, 2 Rugers, and a few others.

Out of all of them the Sako is by far the best factory action you can get. A lot of guys swear by the Remington 700 action but most of those are going to be blueprinted custom actions, I think you will disappointing in a factory 700 action (in my opionion).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh, and I assume your 2K budget is for the rifle only not including optics... On my long range varmint rifles the scopes are almost as much as the rifles :cry:

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What is your goal with the rifle? Target shooting? Long Range varmint shooting? Mid range big game hunting? The caliber I would choose for each of these applications would be different.

All the records are being set with the 6.5 ammo, if you're worried about ammo price you have to ask yourself again what is the goal, and really how much ammo will you really be going through with this build.

Remington 700 is a great action for availability but not my favorite. My Sako actions are far superior and even Tikka (made by Sako) are fantastic. I also prefer the Savage action over the Remington 700, but it's a matter of personal preference. If you weren't in Kuwait (lol) I'd offer you to come out to my ranch and shoot a few different actions and calibers to see what you like. I have 2 Remington 700's, Sako Model 85, Tikka T3, 5 different Savages, Mauser, 2 Rugers, and a few others.

Out of all of them the Sako is by far the best factory action you can get. A lot of guys swear by the Remington 700 action but most of those are going to be blueprinted custom actions, I think you will disappointing in a factory 700 action (in my opionion).
It will most likely see a ton of range use. It will do double duty as a hunting rifle (hogs, mule deer ETC.). My range is close to 500 yards but I plan on finding a 1K yard range and stretching it out.

Reactions: mxgsfmdpx

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, and I assume your 2K budget is for the rifle only not including optics... On my long range varmint rifles the scopes are almost as much as the rifles :cry:
Yes that's correct. Just the rifle. I plan on putting a big nasty expensive scope on it. Maybe a S&B or Leupold Mk8.

Reactions: mxgsfmdpx
1 - 20 of 37 Posts