FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have seen none of the "frames" have been cracked, it has been the modular fire control group. I may be wrong and please tell me if I am, but is the group removable and replaceable. Some where I got the idea that it was back when I purchased my first FNP.

I remember talking to someone about them trying to purchase a backup unit and FN was not selling them or all were allocated to weapon production.

If it is just the fire control group than if there is a design problem it would not be to hard to fix if they put the resources behind it.

The thing that I have found so interesting is that most if not all of the DA/SA FNP's still functioned in at least single action mode. Again I could be wrong, I am sad to say that I have not researched it as well as I should before posting this, but that was my general impression.

I should add that I have been happy with both of my FNP-9M and FNP-40, and just purchased enough extra Mag's that I just can not sell mine or trade mine and come out on them, so I definitely have a dog in this fight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good question. I thought that they were modular and removable, but a couple of posters have said that their frames were replaced.

A lot about this still doesn't make sense. There are a few posters who can't seem to get a functional gun. One reports returning his gun, getting it back and the trigger not working. Another reports returning his gun, getting a replacement and cracking the replacement gun by dry firing before he fired any live rounds from the weapon.

On the other hand, many have reported no problems after thousands of rounds. Personally, I've dry fired hundreds of times with and without mags in place, decocked many times and shot 1,000+ live rounds without a malfunction.

This is starting to sound like reports I've seen of MIM parts breaking on other guns. Supposedly with MIM parts, if the part has a flaw, then it will fail quickly in normal use. If it doesn't, then it will last as long as forged parts. Maybe there were a few bad modules that made it into production guns. If that is the case, then FNH should be able to determine the problem pretty easily and fix it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The fire control group is whats cracking and it is removable and should be replaceable. I take mine out all the time. It doesn't seem to be a design flaw. My FNP40 is dated November of 05 and has been beat to hell and I have not had a problem. Not even a single malfunction. I would tend to believe that the problem is more in a bad batch of material.

I don't see why FNH USA would not sell individual parts. A lot of people would like to have extra replacement parts around, myself included. I would hope if the case is they just don't sell parts, I hope that changes in the future. Its one of those things that make 1911's Glocks, and XD's desirable guns is because there are parts available for them.

Heres some quick pics that I took, not the best, but I'm sure it gets the point across.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Heres the million dollar question than.

If it is a removable/replaeable part. Why is FN replacing the entire weapon of people with this problem?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good pics Cooter. Good to know that the part is removable and replaceable. Repair should be a simple matter of replacing the trigger group module. Like you said, probably a bad batch of material or some problem with the molding of a batch of modules. FNH should be able to identify the cause and fix it. It doesn't look like the cracks could impair the integrity of the rest of the frame in any way.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, and forgive me if I am, but I seem to recall that many who are experiencing the problem have dropped the hammer, or decocked the weapon, when the slide was removed.

Every autoloader that I own cautions against doing this in the operator's manual.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Every autoloader that I own cautions against doing this in the operator's manual.
Good point, Blitz Pig.

Looking at the pictures that Cooter posted of the disassembled module, it seems that the only stress that could be applied to the module is from the hammer falling. With the slide in place, the hammer will hit the slide and firing pin, so the module should receive little stress from the hammer dropping. Dropping the hammer with the slide removed will allow the force of the hammer to be applied to the module, rather than to the firing pin as designed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Heres the million dollar question than.

If it is a removable/replaeable part. Why is FN replacing the entire weapon of people with this problem?
FNHC just received his gun back from FNH and they replaced the trigger group module, not the entire frame. Took four weeks. Not bad turnaround considering the holidays.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I haven't taken mine down that far yet. I though it was a part of the frame myself. Good to know it isn't. Thanx!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts