FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to this FN forum. Thank you for having me. I broke a part on my FNP 45, can't figure out what part it is or how it happened. It is the small metal hook that protrudes from the fire control housing, appears to rest right over the first round in a magazine. After a range session today as I was about to clean the weapon in question I noted the 'hooked' portion of this part had broken off. I compared this weapon with my other FNP 45's where this piece is intact and they appear to function identically with snap caps. All the parts diagrams I can find online just show the 'fire control housing' in its entirety. What part is this specifically, what function does it serve, and how did I break it? Any info from those who know is greatly appreciated.

IMG_2432.jpg

FDE FNP 45. This one has seen about 3800 rounds with only a handful of failures mostly attributable to the shooting situation or shooter (limp wristing, awkward shooting position, oj covered ammunition). I've never dealt with FN's customer service, of four FNP's, (3 .45's and 1 9mm) this is my first major issue.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The tip of the ejector broke off! Out of the 3800 rounds you have through it, how many rounds were +P or steel cased? Regardless, you should to send it back to FN for repair.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Give FN a call and let them know the extractor broke. They should take care of you.

Or, if you're feeling like you could replace it yourself, Stryker Enterprises or Midwest Gun Works might have extractors in stock (I would also get a right side decocker just in case you can't get it off without breaking it). Replacing it yourself might be a little tricky though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you much for the information! Strangely enough it seems to still eject just fine, and the 'hooked' portion is not present on my FNP 9mm- its just a straight protrusion. I'm wondering how my gun would operate long term without that piece being repaired/replaced? That being said, I don't know enough about the FNP's to mess about with one, so I'll be calling FN tomorrow. Really wanted to avoid sending it in as I only know one person who has had to deal with FN and it took more than 3 months before he got his pistol back. Hopefully my experience with them goes better, I love this gun and don't want to be parted from it long!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No good. Russell at FN customer service informed me that they do not service FNP pistols any longer. I can ship it to them at my expense (100+ as UPS only allows next day air on firearms) and they will put in a new fire control group, which contains the ejector, for about 200.00. So 300 bucks to fix a gun that is supposed to have an implied lifetime warranty. When a colleagues FNP 9mm had a cracked fire control group, they sent him a shipping label right away, and fixed his weapon for free. of course, this was in 2007, so things over there may have changed since then. This whole situation has pretty much deflated my desire to pick up a scar 17.

Anybody want to buy a busted FNP 45?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FNP Warranty/Repair

Has anyone sent in an FNP handgun to FN for repair lately? The tip of my ejector broke off a couple months ago and I wanted to send it in. Russell at FN customer service informed me that they do not warranty/service FNP pistols any longer as they are too old. I told him the age of my FNP shouldnt matter, it has a lifetime warranty. He informed me it does not, that no FN products have a warranty, all warranties are implied only. I can ship it to them at my expense (100+ as UPS only allows next day air on firearms) and they will put in a new fire control group, which contains the ejector, for about 200.00. So 300 bucks to fix. When a colleagues FNP 9mm had a cracked fire control group, they sent him a shipping label right away, and fixed his weapon free of charge. of course, this was in 2007, so things over there may have changed since then. I own six FN products total, this is the first time I've had to deal with their warranty/customer service. I am considering a couple FN rifles (a ps90 to go with my Five Seven, and a scar17 because they just are so awesome) but this situation has made me unsure. Has anyone else sent in a FN firearm recently? I find it hard to believe that there is no actual warranty on any of their products, but thats what I was told by FNH today

·
Registered
752 Posts
I sent an fnp in a year ago and it was turned around in a month. First off go with fedex. It cost me $25 to send it Fedex 2 day air. I read your other thread, if its just the extractor fix it yourself. I would rather spend $40 in parts and fix it myself than send my gun in. Plus youll learn something in the process. Good luck

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Call FN first and get an RMA. FN paid for the shipping both ways on my warranty.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
No good. Russell at FN customer service informed me that they do not service FNP pistols any longer. I can ship it to them at my expense (100+ as UPS only allows next day air on firearms) and they will put in a new fire control group, which contains the ejector, for about 200.00. So 300 bucks to fix a gun that is supposed to have an implied lifetime warranty. When a colleagues FNP 9mm had a cracked fire control group, they sent him a shipping label right away, and fixed his weapon for free. of course, this was in 2007, so things over there may have changed since then. This whole situation has pretty much deflated my desire to pick up a scar 17.

Anybody want to buy a busted FNP 45?
This doesn't sound right at all. Unless something has changed, I would call back and ask to speak with someone else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Green Beret, how recently did you send your FN in? I was told that under no circumstances will they RMA/send a shipping label on an FNP because they are too old. I will check Fedex out tomorrow but I am still pretty bent out of shape on the 200+ for a fire control group (with less than 5000 rounds all factory ammo fired through it, I feel like I shouldnt have to pay anything at all) and not sure if I want to buy a FN rifle anymore if it doesnt come with some sort of warranty.

On another note, the extractor they sent me cost 17 bucks. They'll deduct that from the cost of my repair if I send it back with the gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Actually, let me correct myself: When I told him he was wrong, that there is no way there is no warranty at all, that I'm pretty darned sure all of FN's fine products have a lifetime warranty, rep told me to email him a picture of where it says 'warranty' and maybe he could help me. And of course I rushed home from work to do just that. Nowhere in any of my FN product instruction manuals or other FN documentation does it say anything about any warranty, lifetime or otherwise. Nor does it on FN's website. So is there a warranty, implied warranty, no warranty, what's the deal? And what to do with this busted pistol?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Green Beret, how recently did you send your FN in? The gentleman I spoke with at browning today was Russell Wagner, and I was told that under no circumstances will they RMA/send a shipping label on an FNP because they are too old. I will check Fedex out tomorrow but I am still pretty bent out of shape on the 200+ for a fire control group (with less than 5000 rounds all factory ammo fired through it, I feel like I shouldnt have to pay anything at all) and not sure if I want to buy a FN rifle anymore if it doesnt come with some sort of warranty.

On another note, the extractor they sent me cost 17 bucks. They'll deduct that from the cost of my repair if I send it back with the gun.
Email SGTStryker, he might be able to assist you.

Reactions: GlockWaffle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks all. A member here was kind enough to point me in the direction of some helpful resources. Looks like this problem can be solved for well under a hundred. I guess my concern now is, as stated earlier, I have been saving towards a couple rifles, both of which are much more expensive than the FN pistols I currently own and will likely receive much more use than my FN handguns do. The rep I spoke with, was not wrong; in instruction manuals for FN shotgun, fn 9mm handgun, fn 45, and fn 45 tactical, no warranty is mentioned. Nothing on their website either that I can find (though I am not proficient with the internet). So whats the deal with FN warranty, and where to get warranty information?

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I'll have to dig around for my FNP-9 manual. I seem to remember something about a warranty in that (2007 one). CS at FN went way down a few years back when they made some unfortunate changes to that departments staffing.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
implied lifetime warranty. When a colleagues FNP 9mm had a cracked fire control group, they sent him a shipping label right away, and fixed his weapon for free. of course, this was in 2007, so things over there may have changed since then. This whole situation has pretty much deflated my desire to pick up a scar 17.
They have an implied warranty. They do not have an implied lifetime warranty. The FNP has not been made for approx 3+ years. An ejector breaking is typically due to hot rounds or steel cases. FN may fix it for you for nothing, but you need to get it to them. No one is going to tell you over a telephone if your gun is covered or not. That's just nutty. FN works like any other company I've ever dealt with or car dealership. They must see your product and evaluate it before they make a call on it being warranty or non warranty. Your Colleagues gun back in 07 was probably new or less then one year old. I can understand FN sending a label and getting it fixed for nothing. Unfortunately your FNP is 3+ years old. Your local FFL dealer can ship a handgun USPS priority mail for about 10-15 bucks. Says it right on USPS website.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
FYI, Ruger specificially stated that they have no warranty on their guns. They still do work on the gun under a conditional basis (i.e. inspecting the gun and see what the cause was).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
They have an implied warranty. They do not have an implied lifetime warranty. The FNP has not been made for approx 3+ years. An ejector breaking is typically due to hot rounds or steel cases. FN may fix it for you for nothing, but you need to get it to them. No one is going to tell you over a telephone if your gun is covered or not. That's just nutty. FN works like any other company I've ever dealt with or car dealership. They must see your product and evaluate it before they make a call on it being warranty or non warranty. Your Colleagues gun back in 07 was probably new or less then one year old. I can understand FN sending a label and getting it fixed for nothing. Unfortunately your FNP is 3+ years old. Your local FFL dealer can ship a handgun USPS priority mail for about 10-15 bucks. Says it right on USPS website.
I understand what you are saying. While I did initially ask about a warranty in reference to my gun, my concern was about the EXISTENCE of warranties in general, and it came as a surprise to me that such a large and renowned manufacturer does not clearly warranty (or not?) some items which they manufacture. Car dealerships have complicated warranties, and write warranties on an item-by-item basis in part because of the monetary amounts and consumer trust issues involved. If there is no warranty on the item I purchase, ok, sure, that's fine, if it expires in one year, ok, that is fine too, but clearly state what is what. I don't want the company that makes my guns to conduct business like my local car dealership. If CS at FN had told me what you just told me, that would have been cool. But they were not at all friendly, or courteous, they pretty much just said go f yourself. I guess it's something I have to factor in to the total cost of ownership, because I'm still gonna spend more money on FN =)

In the end, thanks to a guy here IKEWarrior04 who pointed me in the right direction I fixed it at home, and learned a heck of a lot more about the inner workings fnp_schematic2.png (theres ten more parts inside of item no 10!) of the gun itself, always a plus. I ordered the part from Mid West Gun Works, it was ~70 shipped, arrived as described super fast and with a coupon too. Wife was concerned about the amount of swearing coming from the garage but after some serious fidoodling I got it figured out and headed straight to the range. No problems. FN awesome.

IMG_3161.jpg fixed!

IMG_3186.jpg That big fat butt looks good on her.

Thanks again IKEWarrior04 and FN Forum in general

1 - 20 of 26 Posts