FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a Scar 16 for over a year now and have been bouncing back and forth with stepping into a .308. Stopped down to my local LGS for their anniversary sale to check out a few new toys and get some prices. I was looking at one of 3 rifles.

PTR 91 FR
Adams Arms SF 308 Battle Patrol
Scar 17s

The salesman was on his game and needless to say I just ordered a Scar 17s, I went with Black since my 16 is FDE. He offered me the rifle and 9 mags for 2900, from what I can tell that is a good deal. The only problem is now I have to find an optic for my new addition, I'm running a Comp M4s on my 16 and figure I need a little magnification for it's big brother. Wish me luck, now I just have to wait for it to get here this week. Pics will follow upon delivery.

·
Premium Member
9,863 Posts
Congrats on the 17. I can't believe you waited so long. I caved pretty quick after getting the 16.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I've owned a Scar 16 for over a year now and have been bouncing back and forth with stepping into a .308. Stopped down to my local LGS for their anniversary sale to check out a few new toys and get some prices. I was looking at one of 3 rifles.

PTR 91 FR
Adams Arms SF 308 Battle Patrol
Scar 17s

The salesman was on his game and needless to say I just ordered a Scar 17s, I went with Black since my 16 is FDE. He offered me the rifle and 9 mags for 2900, from what I can tell that is a good deal. The only problem is now I have to find an optic for my new addition, I'm running a Comp M4s on my 16 and figure I need a little magnification for it's big brother. Wish me luck, now I just have to wait for it to get here this week. Pics will follow upon delivery.
Congrats!!! It's the other way for me. The 17S led to the 16S, then to another 17S and then to another 16S.

I put an Eotech XPS2 on my second 17S - it's an FDE so it's not going to be accurate enough for accuracy work anyway...:evil:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Welcome to the Brotherhoodof the Scar 17!

I bought my Scar 17 as my first .308 last year because it fits all my current requirements to be the one rifle if I can have only one. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, it does more things at least adequately or better than any other rifle I know of under $3k.

-7.62x51/.308 > .300 Blackout > 7.62x39 > 5.56 for deer hunting

-7.62x51 is a NATO and common hunting round used by police and military

- At around 8 pounds nakid, the Scar 17 is a couple pounds lighter than most any .308 under $3k

- Lightest factory recoil of any .308 I have shot

- BUIS and picatinny rails standard, ready for optics, bipod or any other accessory configuration

- 1 MOA or better accuracy, enough to hunt deer and hog size game out to intermediate ranges

- Mobility, the 16" barrel and folding stock make the Scar 17 mobile and easy to transport inside a CJ5, VW Bug, small truck cab, golf cart or even slung across the back on a dirt bike or 4-wheeler

- Battle rifle rugged and FN quality reliability, what good is any rifle that it fails when you need it most?

I would say the Scar 17 is the perfect balance between an AR-15 and a bolt action deer hunting rifle.

With all of that said, there is on cons in particular to consider:

The Scar 17's lightweight barrel can be damaged if overheated so don't see how many mag dumps you can do in a row.

That is why I custom ordered an 18" bull barreled PTR91F with picatinny rail, to run 50 round X-drums and to run steel cased and other lower grade ammo. You can get a brand new PTR91 for less than a replacement barrel costs for a Scar 17 and for less than a comparable FAL or M1A. But like the FAL, M1A and .308 AR's, at the end of a long hump the PTR91 is a heavy pig compared to the Scar 17.

The other problem with the Scar 17 is that is is so good that there are simply no optics I know of for under $3k that truly match what it is capable of...

The Scar 17 is so ergonomic and well balanced that it is a very fast platform in capable hands. I dare say that it is faster to swing and acquire targets than any other .308 battle rifle, almost as fast as an AR. So the Scar 17 needs a fast sight like a quality red dot.

And the Scar 17 is very accurate and .308 is a much longer and harder hitting downrange round than 5.56 so the Scar 17 needs some decent magnification if it is to be employed for long work.

But here is the kicker... while FN was able to design and build the Scar 17 to do all of these things very well and very reliably, FN did so while achieving a weight reduction not matched by any other .308 caliber battle rifle. No scope manufacturer lists a scope that is fast for close work, has the magnification that will match the Scar 17 at it its maximum range, AND is as relatively lightweight as the Scar 17.

Therefore I have come to the conclusion that the perfect scope for the Scar 17 has not been built yet, or at least is not available to the public for under $3k.

I can only hope that new optics systems will be developed in the future that use a digital camera and small screen or holographic glasses that give both wide field of view and the ability to quickly switch to higher magnifications and are under a pound in weight and will exceed what high end glass does, all for a few hundred bucks. That to me would be the perfect optic for the Scar 17.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as optics go. I've narrowed it down to Nightforce ATACR variants & Leupold MK6. Not that I want start another optics thread, but any input will be appreciated.

Reactions: mityno1

·
Registered
359 Posts
As far as optics go. I've narrowed it down to Nightforce ATACR variants & Leupold MK6. Not that I want start another optics thread, but any input will be appreciated.
No contest for me the Nightforce 5-25X50 ATACR or the F1 version if you want the FFP version is the one I would choose. I see the non F1 for sale @ EuroOptics for $1995. The Leupold MK 6 eye box on my Mk 6 is to unforgiving for me especially when using the illumination and the price for the 3-18X is to high imo.I have the ATACR 5-25X50 with the MOAR reticle (my favorite reticule) on my Les Baer Match Sniper and it's an amazing scope.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.