FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NUTS: $30,000 StG-44 turned into CA gun buyback for $200 gift card

Posted by Bob Owens on December 17, 2013 at 7:23 am If I’m in possession of an antique, I’m going to do a little research before I give it away for next to nothing. Someone in Los Angeles wasn’t that smart.

Yes, that appears to be an authentic, World War II-era Sturmgewehr 44, the first-generation assault rifle. It’s worth perhaps $30,000 according to an estimate of the worth of another StG44 collected in a similar buy-back in Connecticut last year, but the LAPD doesn’t appear to have the class the Hartford PD did. Hartford allowed the rifle to be sold to collectors so that it could be preserved as the historical artifact that it is, and give the provider fair-market value.
The indication here?
The LAPD got away with near theft, and unless it is separated for special treatment, this historical artifact will likely be melted down into re-bar. For the children, or something.
Historically, gun buybacks are politically popular but cost thousands to teds of thousands of dollars and do nothing to reduce violent crime.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Unlike the confirmed genuine antique in Connecticut (as noted by the Nazi eagle emblem) this could be a replica or a post war model, in which case isn't worth nearly as much. But hey the news anchor is hot though:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Too bad they will not give it back to the person it was stolen from....

I know I am assuming but, really, do you think the real owner would have turned it in?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If this gun is really a full auto WWII relic, wouldn't it be illegal under any circumstances unless it happened to have been registered prior to 1986?

Are Kalifornians allowed to own even registered NFA items?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank gawd they got that vicious gangland implement of death off the streets! It the obvious choice for discriminating gang members. twerk-fail.jpg

·
Registered
641 Posts
Jesus, imagine running into the bonehead who coughed that baby up on his/her way to the buyback. For a genuine Sturmgewehr 44, I Woulda offered him the keys to my truck on the spot haha.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
If it's legit, I hope someone with sense prevails and it goes to a museum or returned to the owner if it was stolen from an NFA registered individual.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Geez, I really butchered the grammar & punctuation on the thread title. Forgive me guys, I was making a quick post before heading out on some errands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts