1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I FN do too!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Awe geez, I'm going to have to post up a pic of my FDE FNP-9 and FNX 45 tac now too 8)

SScott, did you get the slide on your FNP sand blasted? Or is it cerakoted?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

Dan, I normally use Cerakote but this time it is Aluma-Hyde 2 (Coyote and Dark Earth) from Brownell's baked on.

Love it CPTdaz! I just put a Jpoint on mine and look forward to trying it out with the red dot.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Thanks guys!

Dan, I normally use Cerakote but this time it is Aluma-Hyde 2 (Coyote and Dark Earth) from Brownell's baked on.

Love it CPTdaz! I just put a Jpoint on mine and look forward to trying it out with the red dot.

Very nice! let us know how the AH-2 holds up compared to cerakote.

Reactions: SScott

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!!! I have done many guns in both and it is almost as durable as Cerakote. I don't know how to accurately gauge it but on holster wear and handling I would say 75% as strong as Cerakote but it is wayyyyyyyy thicker. If you decide to try it, get a ton of nozzles and bake it on or you will have to let it sit for at least a month. I usually go 2 hours @ 250* for the metal and 2 hours @ 170* for plastic (same as cerakote) and it is ready for use as soon as it cools.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Kinda unfair to compare Cerakote to Alumahyde II since one is ceramic and the other is epoxy based. Cerakote is definitely the best option, but Alumahyde II is a considerably cheaper and fairly effective DIY solution. I finished couple of AKs with Alumahyde and it always held up. The trick is taking your time with surface prep, waiting between coats and baking.

That said, I think pistol slides are better off with cerakote than any DIY route, especially if you're going to EDC which is what I do with my FNP.

Reactions: djv38 and SScott
1 - 9 of 9 Posts