FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STG58 kit gun. I have always had problems sighting it in and just learned to shoot aiming to one side. I gave it to the gunsmith last year and just got it back and he showed me the barrel was bent somehow by looking at it with a perpendicular line. Anyway I am looking for a new barrel and a gunsmith to install it for me and I live in Raleigh NC. I would like to do local work and not have to ship it off to get it fixed. Arizona Response systems put it together for me about 12 years ago and I will call them to ask what I can do about it. It has seen a few rounds since then and always reliable. Just shoots off to the right too much. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
"If it shoots to the right the barrel's too tight. If it shoots to the left it needs more heft."

Sounds like the barrel is overtimed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd go to falfiles.com and look for a FAL smith near you....

Otherwise, ARS would be good since they built it originally, Court in Fl. (he's on the falfiles) has a good reputation, and there are many more out there... might want to throw a scope on it long enough to determine if it is a timing issue (sights aren't lining up proper) or a bent barrel issue (you won't be able to zero a scope either)

·
Registered
110 Posts
So, what did ARS say about it? I would be interested in knowing if they were receptive to your problem.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't think your barrel is bent. Most likely over or under timed, which is easy to fix if you know what you are doing and have the tools to do it with. I have built a couple of dozen FALs and there is nothing about them that is rocket science. Again you have to have the tools to time and headspace of you will get yourself into a safety issue. I time all my FALs with a laster bore sight and I use the rifle sights as reference guides. Once you are timed with your rear sight in the mid windage setting, then you can headspace and fire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts