FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, take your shots. I am happy if you are happy but I think that color on the FN's in particular look cheap. I know and appreciate it is all personal preference so of course, there is no right or wrong answer here.

I truly get the whole "desert" thing.

Just sounding off - nothing else going on.

P

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does FDE not show up as well on NV? I've been seeing alot of adds for cerekote that claims to reduce IR signature.

Also I'm wondering because I've taken pics of my scar where the reciever shines gold from the flash.

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK, take your shots. I am happy if you are happy but I think that color on the FN's in particular look cheap. I know and appreciate it is all personal preference so of course, there is no right or wrong answer here.

I truly get the whole "desert" thing.

Just sounding off - nothing else going on.

P
I really dig the fnx 45 two tone. But it's definitely a personal thing. It seems that there is no status quo for fde in the firearms business. Seems everybody has a different fde! I like the fnh fde more then my g21 was.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 17 was in black when I was sure it looked better. Then 1 picture after another of the SEALS wielding FDE made me a believer. So I got a 16 in FDE. It's odd in a cool kind of way and heck most have an all black whatever.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I own a black one, I think some of the darker FDE uppers look pretty cool, but the more tan/gold ones look toyish. Plus, I live in an urban environment in Florida. There are no deserts here, so having a firearm in FDE serves zero practical purpose. It would make sense though that every operator in the sand pile that is Afghanistan would have FDE SCARs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wanted a 17 in FDE but eventually settled for black. I will however, probably eventually end up buying a SCAR 16 in FDE. Personally I want one of the 6 tone ones with the olive drab looking uppers.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Does FDE not show up as well on NV? I've been seeing alot of adds for cerekote that claims to reduce IR signature.

Also I'm wondering because I've taken pics of my scar where the reciever shines gold from the flash.
Black sticks out more on NV.

The second part: that's what matte spray paint is for :icon_mrgreen:

Reactions: GULL

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't think there is a whole lot to "get". It's just another color option. I personally like FDE, it's something a little different from the usual black...

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Its cool.

Really.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'll go with the personal preference, or maybe after 20 years of buying black firearms it was time for something different. I will say FDE looks better on rifles than handguns. My last 2 handgun purchases were 226's. I picked up the MK25 Dessert and then a 226 Extreme (Black), all things said I prefer the look of the Extreme. On the flip side my local gun store got some Tavors in stock, Black & FDE. I called before heading to the store and told them to take the Black one of the shelf because I was on my way. When I arrived at the store, I saw the FDE on the shelf and snatched that one up instead. The FDE shade on the Tavor has a tint that just puts it over the top. My best advice is to put the "Black" & "FDE" weapons next to each other and make your final decision.
2014-01-21 Rifles Chair 3.jpg 20140319_120935.jpg 20140213_204325.jpg
As you can see different weapons have different looks and there is no end all decision on color. Get what's best for you!

P.S. - FDE rifles are more accurate! LOL :-D

·
Registered
137 Posts
it adds variation to the safe! I live and Florida and dont plan on using any of my guns "tactically"
I have gone hog hunting with it about 10 times and have slaughtered them. So the FDE must be more accurate!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts