FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. There is a ton of talk about what optic to get for your PS90 on this forum. There are as many opinions as their are choices as to what is best. Well, here's another opinion for you... mine.

After much back-and-forth over cost vs. quality, size, etc. I have had a few inexpensive optics on my weapons over the years. Here is a recap of my journey:

First I started off with a SIG STS-081, which is an inexpensive T1-style micro-red dot knock-off. The biggest reason I went with this optic was because it was what I had laying around. That, and it did the job. I have no evidence to support that it wouldn't do a great job forever... but the fact that it wasn't a top-dollar tier-one-chosen optic was always nagging in the back of my head. I'm sure most of you know the "there is something better out there, so my "good-enough" option really isn't "good-enough" after all voice in your head, and that is exactly what was happening to me.

That brings me to the "upgrade". I went with the Lucid M7 sight. It seemed awesome (at least on paper). It had an Eotech-style reticle, which I really like. It took a single AA battery, which are always easy to find, and easy to find rechargeable options to charge with a solar setup in case of SHTF. Seemed perfect. Then it wasn't. If you haven't read my epic story of failure with the Lucid, the link is below. Cliff notes version: Design was flawed. Reticle was blurry. Replacement was re-designed to a single dot which still sucks.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-ps90-a...-so-hot-design-flaw-fixed-but-not-really.html

I have been thinking for months now that when I could, I would replace the sight with something "good", but was tossed up with which one to go with. Should I go T1? Trijicon? EoTech? There are a bunch of reasons why any of those would make a great choice, its just a matter of which one makes the most sense to the end user. I weighed the pros and cons of each against my criteria, and went back-and-forth for weeks, but for some reason the EoTech just kept telling me "I'm the one you want, so stop fighting it."

Unlike many of you who want their sight as low as possible, I am the opposite. I want it up high where I can get a nice shoulder weld hold with my head up high to target. It seems much more comfortable to me, especially on a fast-and-light CQB weapon like the PS90. There is such negligible recoil from the weapon that the 4th point of contact (cheek weld) is really not necessary in my opinion for a stable platform like it is on larger caliber weapons. Also, keeping your head up keeps your periferal vision wide open, which to me makes the most sense on a weapon like this. Sure, the 5.7 round is good out to 200m+, but let's face it... this is a CQB/PDW weapon. Realistically, you cannot expect it to do much of anything outside of 200m. At least that is what I believe, you may think differently.

So, after deciding to drop some serious coin on an EoTech, the next question was... which model? I was looking at the EXPS2 that seems popular among the small group of PS90 owners who choose to go with the EoTech. I chose the Brownell's-exclusive CQB-T sight, because I really like the way they deal with the "T" at the lower part of the reticle for CQB hold-over.

The "2-dot" reticle seems (in my opinion) to be the PERFECT red dot for the PS90, and here is why:

CQB1-75Y.png CQG1-75Y2.png

Using the Strelok app, I was able to play around with zero & point-of-impact with the two loads I will be using, namely the SS197 and the SS198LF. I am very impressed with the theoretical performance of the 27 grain SS198LF as you can see in the image. With a 75-yard zero, the "T" is a 10-yard hold-over, and the center dot is good out to 200 yards. What a nice, flat shooting round! What impresses me even more is that the SS198LF round still has .380ACP energy at 400 yards! I doubt I could hit something at 400 yards with the weapon, but its good to know if I do it will be more effective than harsh language.

Alright, that is all I have for now. I'll add photos once they arrive in a few days and I get them mounted.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That is a nice ret. This makes me wish I had deeper pockets.

Reactions: Canine Casanova

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I know how you feel, Kakashi66218! It took me quite a while to scrounge up the scratch to afford the EoTech.

In case anyone is interested, here are POI at distances with the CQB-T reticle and a 50 yard zero:

CQB1-50Y.png

·
Registered
58 Posts
Grats on the EOTech. I've got the XPS2-0 on mine. I agree that you really don't need a cheek weld on the PS90.

I would be very interested to see how range performance lines up with those calculated impact points.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I have an EOTech on mine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard Eight, the only real difference between the XPS2-0 and the CQB-T is the reticle. The CQB-T is an XPS2-2, but Brownells had them turn the bottom into a "T" by cutting out two parts of the circle. Otherwise they are the identical holosight. :) The holdover graphics I made should work just fine for you too, just complete the circle and erase the lower dot. :)

Reactions: Kakashi66218

·
Registered
848 Posts
I was looking at these and forgot to look it up under CQB-t, lol.::FF:: THE next optic for the next rifle...::!!!::

·
Registered
58 Posts
How do they shoot? Is the table you made earlier accurate for Point of Aim/Impact?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not had a chance to shoot them yet with the EoTechs. They shot great with the inexpensive red dots they had on them before, though, so I am sure they will shoot great.

The tables I posted before should be point of aim/impact with the middle dot sighted in at the appropriate range listed on the chart (I posted multiple versions)

·
Registered
58 Posts
The tables I posted before should be point of aim/impact with the middle dot sighted in at the appropriate range listed on the chart (I posted multiple versions)
I know what they should be, but I never fully believe a theory until it's worked in practice ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reticle is so small in actuality and the POIs so close that I doubt I will ever be able to tell if they are off. The 5.7 round is so flat shooting that basically if I put the target in the 65MOA circle, its getting hit out to 300 yards. LOL!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - I'm a fairly new member to the FNForum and I've recently purchased a PS90 to add to my collection. I've had EOTechs in the past on my issued and civilian ARs, but Cabela's had a great deal on the HHS III (Basically a 518 w/the G33 magnifier) combo that was hard to pass up. The battery compartment is out in front and off the rail to make room for the G33, but that's the only drawback. I noticed most of the PS90 owners like yourself use the EOTech EXPS2, which leads to my question and asking your advice on this current set-up. Do you think I should swap out the 518 for the EXPS2 or does it really make that much of a difference? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine are actually the Brownell's CQB-T models, which are close to the EXPS2 with a slightly different reticle... I went with it for personal preference for the reticle itself. I'm sure the one you got will work just fine for your needs. Mount it, sight it in, test it out. That's really the only way to tell. What works for me might not work for you (and vice versa).

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use an XPS2 on my PS90 and I get asked a lot at the range about the whole "cheek weld", to me, it is completely unnecessary on a zero recoil rifle like a PS90.
Target aquisition is lightning fast, and the reticle is obviously self explanatory.
I had an Aimpoint micro style optic (Primary Micro) and that was a phenomenal setup. I absolutely loved it. However, your target aquisition wasn't nearly as fast as the EOTECH.
This Brownells model looks beyond amazing. May I ask, the cost?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts