FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When inserting a loaded magazine on fnp 40, I just realized that the first round MUST be chambered to insert the magazine totally. All the other times I did this the slide was already back and didn't see that. Is there any way around this so I don't have to chamber the first round but still have a loaded magazine?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
You should be able to insert the fully loaded mag with the slide closed. If you have the slide open, don't let it slam closed on an empty chamber. Make sure you close it good though. Then, you can decock it with the lever or if you have the chamber empty and no mag in the gun, you can squeeze the trigger while keeping your thumb on the hammer and let the hammer down gently with your thumb on it till it reaches the firing pin. Now you can/should be able to insert a full mag into the gun without one in the chamber. In my 9, I carry 16 in the mag with one in the chamber.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 40 takes an unexpected amount of force to load a full mag w/ the slide fwd. How long have you had it? I noticed that my fully loaded mag has gotten easier to slam over time. The other 2 I only keep 12 in.

Also, I have better results from a 'push until it clicks' execution rather than a 'slam' action.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with mine, a good hard push and it locks right in. The mag springs will break in and it should get easier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So.. when you mean a good hard push i guess you mean it it does go in after a bit of force. I just wasn't expecting that.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Correct, because with the slide closed you are working against the pressure the magazine spring places on the stack of rounds that are pushed against the bottom of the slide. If you wanted to go one round less in the magazine, it might be slightly easier to seat the mag with the slide closed. I keep my mags loaded to 13 instead of 14, but that's just my preference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
after really thinking about how much pressure i have to put to have the magazine go in all the way, I'm just going to have the empty mag unless I'm shooting. or carrying.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
keep in mind that this would unlikely be an issue in a tactical situation, since if you had to reload after firing your first magazine, the slide will be locked back during reload anyway and therefore it would not be a concern.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why I never noticed this before. It's not a big deal, I just finished my carry class today and I can carry with one in the chamber if I "need" to. I had assumed that the open carry laws are similar as the conceal carry laws here. With open carry the weapon can't have one in the chamber. Just assuming the worst.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
The spring will break in over time. I just put in +10% springs in my HK mags. They are tough to see, but this will go away with use of the mag (not just keeping it loaded, but shootigng it will cycle the springs up and down as it loads and unloads.

As for an empty chamber - bad tactical move.

A likely scenario for a chl holder is someone coming up to you and robbing you on the street/parking lot. U will be lucky to feign going for your wallet and getting your gun. You may or may not be able to pull that off.

You will NOT have time to do that AND work the slide with 2 hands before you can get a shot off - not if they have a gun pointed at you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, after attending the class yesterday I've decided to carry with one in the chamber. I've been carrying to all day today (in my house) to see if she notices. she hasn't noticed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts