FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updated Page 2...WITH PICS!

I already kind of wanted one, but have been laid off. So I had far too much time to read about how much you liked your FN 45's...and I pulled the trigger today. Should be in next week, but I won't pick it up until Dec. 6th. Would be nice if FN started a rebate on these, eh? :D

Got it from CDNN...$507.00 plus $3.00 adult signature fee is $510.00, which was the best post-election price I could find on a new one with decocker only (they only have that variant and have many more 2-tone VS. all black). They are running FREE shipping on these right now. :D

I had a hard time deciding, but finally went with the 2-tone, 'cuz I love bling!

They had extra 15 round spare mags for $39.95, but if you have a C&R with them, that gets you 10% off accessories. So, $35 for each spare mag was about going rate on high-caps, I thought. I ordered two.

Now I have to get some 45ACP... :cry:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah then your going to need to contact Dillion for a 550. Because you are going to love it. Give it about a 300 round break in and it will run like a swiss watch. Nice going on the price too that's a good number pre Obama. Who knows what will happen in the future might as well do it now. :?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Congrats on the upcoming gun!

I live in TX, so would have to pay salestax from CDNN. So, quite often, their deals aren't worth it to me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really like the decock only guns...

I run into the sales tax thing with the MN companies with good deals.

Sportsman's warehouse had a "we pay your tax" sale this week, but it was still more than CDNN.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i know what you mean i had my heart set on a P99 since i was too young to vote but ever since i found this site i've been eyeing a FNP40 way too much

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have an FNP-40 and an FNP-45, you can't go wrong either way.

:?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congrats! :?

I really enjoy mine so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats on the FNP-45. Got my FNP-40 on Nov 6th to exercise my 2nd Amend rights while I still have them - even at the risk of upsetting the wife on the planned purchase. The FNP is way more accurate than I am. You'll love it.

Got 40 S&W dies on the way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
SELFDEFENSE said:
I have been seriously considering whether to get a second FNP-45 for $507 or get one with the safety :-?
I am in the same boat.. The new FNP-45 - also has a thinner slide and has one of the magazines 15 rounds to replace one of the 14 rounders you get with the 1st model..

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thinner slide?

First I've heard of that.

Pics?

·
Registered
57 Posts
BlitzPig said:
Thinner slide?

First I've heard of that.

Pics?
No not yet. This is what "Bob" from FN told me on the phone - when I called to find out the difference. He said it was slight - but it was thinner. And Night Sights are not included as the website states..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the .45 and took it out to my back yard range (fire pit with mound septic system back stop). About 20 degrees F. and light snow. Needless to say, I shot fast. Five mags for a total of 72 rounds WWB. (3 14's and 2 15's). Targets were various cardboard boxes and tin cans.

I was pleasantly suprised by how good the trigger is. It is about the nicest on any Poly pistol I own. In fact, the SA after the double action is so nice, I almost felt like I was bump firing the gun. Handle is grippy and feels good. I liked both backstraps but just shot it as stock, with the big one. I'll try the smaller one another time.

The pistol is mighty snappy for a big .45. The Taurus 1911 I fired last month was not nearly as much. I think I get more vibration through the poly frame than from a steel framed gun. It's been a long time since I owned a Glock 21, but this seemed a bit more snappy than that. I still like it! :?

Accuracy was mighty fine. Nice clusters of holes at about 15 yads with no real aiming point. I was able to even dance the cans a bit.

One FTFeed--mag four (15 rounder) at about the tenth round did not feed a round from the mag. Racked the slide and GTG.

The mags were HARD to load--hardest I can ever remember on pretty much any gun. Hope that speaks of quality. This is the only gun I have owned where I wish it had come with a mag loader!

Fit and finish seem good. EZ dissassembly--I mean, Marine-proof easy! The doggone case is HUMONGOUS. Begs for new foam and custom cut outs for mags, ammo, illumination device, maybe an MRE.

What are the mags made out of? They seem like they might be blued (lightly) Stainless steel? They attract a magnet fine. I don't care for the big base plate on the 15 rounders. Nice to have that xtra cartridge, though.

The mags are assembled a little weird--no nubs to hold the bottom of the spring to the base plate. Hope that holds up OK. The springs have a distinct big and small sized end, which is cool.

In pic #2, you see a muzzle view. Does anyone else have that uneven gap around the barrel? Not that functioning or accuracy was adverse by any means. Just seems...odd.

The mag release button is tough to push BUT works from both directions. I think my mitt gets in the wrong place whwn pushing on it. Feels just like any other ambi handle mounted push button mag release--hard and spongy.

PICS:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Nice report. I noticed that about the muzzle as well. Doesn't seem to effect anything. I found the firing much smoother than you describe, but that is always a perception thing anyway.

Looking forward to hearing more down the road. :?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The muzzle on my 9 is the same, although it doesn't look like as large of a gap as that (same orientation though).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Art SC said:
Nice report. I noticed that about the muzzle as well. Doesn't seem to effect anything. I found the firing much smoother than you describe, but that is always a perception thing anyway.

Looking forward to hearing more down the road. :?
I agree. Once I am more familiar I will revisit my post.

Also, I perceive that I am looking forward to shooting it soon for groups!! 8)

·
Registered
735 Posts
As the others have said, the gap is normal. I suspect that it is necessary for takedown, as the gap is completely taken up when you tilt the barrel to lift it out of the slide.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have that gap around mine and it has well over 1000 rds through it with no problems !!!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
raggededge said:
As the others have said, the gap is normal. I suspect that it is necessary for takedown, as the gap is completely taken up when you tilt the barrel to lift it out of the slide.
You are correct now that I think about it. It is necessary.

·
Registered
25 Posts
djv38 said:
raggededge said:
You are correct now that I think about it. It is necessary.
The gap is there by design to allow the barrel to tilt

1 - 20 of 32 Posts