FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took off my front sight to try a rail cover... little did i know it wasn't as easy as easy as unscrewing one screw. there's a nut on the other end of the screw, a spring, a ball barring and a little spring. when i put the front sight back together and lined it all up i tried putting the nut back on and it wouldn't really go on tight. i went to the range on monday and today i looked at my rifle and realized the nut is missing. should i worry about it? i either lost it at the range or its in the depths of my safe or range bag. im sure the replacement is like $40 lol... probably.

has this happen to anyone? and i have another question about the sight. i saw this picture of a scar and the front sight was replaced with a troy battle sight. how the hell do u mount it on the fn mount?

get-attachment.aspx.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
1) if it was the nut with the roll pin in it that is on the right side of the sight/gas block ass, yes, you should replace it, it is what keeps the sight from working it's way off.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F141520020
2) there is a piece of rail section that you replace the front sight with that allows you to run a different sight like the one you have pictured.

Link for the SCAR sight/gas block assembly. SCAR Flat Top Kit - Promoted Pawn

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seriously Talhoffer thank you. i love how fast everyone works on this forum. Everyone here is polite and respect each other. a guess its the $2500 and up investment we all made to buy scars lol. this i great community

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
seriously Talhoffer thank you. i love how fast everyone works on this forum. Everyone here is polite and respect each other. a guess its the $2500 and up investment we all made to buy scars lol. this i great community
Your welcome and most of us here try to help, just hope you feel the same after about Feb. when the natives have become restless. :-D

Did you drive out the little roll pin in the nut first before you removed the nut?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did not. it unscrewed without any problems. going back in was a problem. when i pieced it back together i noticed the windage nut wouldnt seat well. what do i need to seat it right? do i need a mini allen key?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't mean to interrupt the floe of information, but I just wanted to say... Damn Talhoffer!!! you are so nice to take the time to not only reply to his question, but also to lost the links. Anyways... just thought I'd show my appreciation for people like yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I know what happened here, you unscrewed the front sight windage screw until the front sight retaining wheel came off. I did the same thing with my 16 when I tried to install the Promoted Pawn rail. Likely result is, you broke the end of the screw off if the roll pin was still in there. I had to replace the screw and since I didn't have a punch small enough to knock out the roll pin I also had to replace the retaining wheel and roll pin. Look inside the retaining wheel and see if there is a sheared off bit of metal, if it's there you broke it.

Until I could get the parts, I stuck the wheel on with some locktite. Held up very well

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Wow, not what I expected when I read that title... Lost a nut... Thought you had an injury. :p

:-D

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
i did not. it unscrewed without any problems. going back in was a problem. when i pieced it back together i noticed the windage nut wouldnt seat well. what do i need to seat it right? do i need a mini allen key?

I think I know what happened here, you unscrewed the front sight windage screw until the front sight retaining wheel came off. I did the same thing with my 16 when I tried to install the Promoted Pawn rail. Likely result is, you broke the end of the screw off if the roll pin was still in there. I had to replace the screw and since I didn't have a punch small enough to knock out the roll pin I also had to replace the retaining wheel and roll pin. Look inside the retaining wheel and see if there is a sheared off bit of metal, if it's there you broke it.

Until I could get the parts, I stuck the wheel on with some locktite. Held up very well

^^^^This covers it pretty much.
If you plan on running the factory front sight again you'll need to replace a few more parts, mostly the windage screw since it sounds like you popped the end of the screw head off that helps retain the nut.

Note the small head on the end on the threaded, this is what pops off and is what the roll pin uses to retain the nut from backing off.

Here's the extra parts.
FNH SCAR 16S/17S Front Sight Windage Screw
FNH SCAR 16S/17S Windage Screw Retaining Wheel Roll Pin

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I understand your point but, why do you think the windage screw would work its way out without the retaining nut? The spring detent keeps the screw from turning, or your windage would be off every couple of rounds. I popped mine off and never worried about it moving. :th_ban_dance01: :th_shrug:

Reactions: Cheifm0jorisen

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats at a exactly what happened. Definitely channeling Sherlock Holmes! I ordered the but the other night and now I'm ordering the screw... Thankfully they have free shipping with coupon code BLKFRI. Thank u very much. What size punch do I need to attach the nut and secure it to the screw?

^^^^This covers it pretty much.
If you plan on running the factory front sight again you'll need to replace a few more parts, mostly the windage screw since it sounds like you popped the end of the screw head off that helps retain the nut.

Note the small head on the end on the threaded, this is what pops off and is what the roll pin uses to retain the nut from backing off.

Here's the extra parts.
FNH SCAR 16S/17S Front Sight Windage Screw
FNH SCAR 16S/17S Windage Screw Retaining Wheel Roll Pin

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Thats at a exactly what happened. Definitely channeling Sherlock Holmes! I ordered the but the other night and now I'm ordering the screw... Thankfully they have free shipping with coupon code BLKFRI. Thank u very much. What size punch do I need to attach the nut and secure it to the screw?
I use a 1/16" roll pin punch.
You'll want support the nut as you drive the roll pin in so not to damage the screw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts