FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an FNP-9 about a week before Christmas, but did not get a chance to shoot it until this weekend. I put 166 rounds through it Saturday, and another 150 Monday - a mixture of Federal Classic 115 grain FMJ and Remington 115 grain JHP. It functioned flawlessly.

The gun shop/range had just gotten in a couple of FNP-9s and an FNP-40. I handled the 9 on a whim and was immediately struck with the ergonomics. The only pistols I have ever handled that fit my hand as well were Sigs. The trigger was astonishing. Frankly, it was the best I have ever felt on a DA/SA. (I prefer DA/SA configurations, which are getting harder to come by these days.) Everyone always talks about surprise breaks, but these guns actually have it.

Since they had only a couple of them in stock and I didn't want the demo, I wanted to get the Shooter's Pack, and I was going out of town for the holidays, my choice was pretty much buy immediately or don't buy. I bought. Afterwards, I found this forum and the posts about cracked trigger group housings, sear tilt, etc. Although my brain tells me these odd reports can't represent much of a percentage of the total FNPs out there, I confess I was getting a little nervous.

Knock on wood, but my latest acquisition functioned flawlessly, and I shoot it better than any other pistol I own. I have no idea what it would group in a machine rest, but in my hands I shoot it better than my Sigs, my Beretta 92, or my SW99. And that's brand new. I have no doubt the trigger will get better as it's broken in.

The only real irritant about the gun is that I shoot it better than others I own that cost half again to almost twice as much. On the moving/rotating programmed targets, it really shines. It's a very quick and natural pointer for me.

Unless this thing melts down on me somewhere down the road (and I really doubt that it will), I am extremely pleased with this little gun! I'm looking forward to a lot of happy trigger time with it.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Welcome to the site. Glad U like your FNP so much!

Also, the gun has been around for over a year now. Some of these issues have just now popped up. I really think that there hasn't been that widespread of a problem - and the few reports would not keep me from buying one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase. I have an FNP-40 with over 1,000 rounds through it with no problem. Like you, I like the ergonomics, the DA trigger and the decock feature. It's an absolute pleasure to shoot, even in .40 cal, which is not my favorite caliber for range work.

I've seen reported problems about virtually every handgun somewhere on internet message boards. Glocks go Kaboom, M&P's drop mags, 1911's are unreliable out of the box, Sigs crack frames, etc. I'm sure that all of these things have happened, but in each case the vast majority of those guns functioned fine with no problems. I suspect the same is true of the FNP. If not, then FNH will need to design a fix. That's what warranties are for.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Speaking of function. Myself and a couple friends were out doing some cold weather plinking yesterday. I must add that the temperature was maybe 5 degrees above zero Fahrenheit. So it was more or less a cold weather torture and function test session. I saw firearms act up that always run top notch. The one that surprised me was the USP 40 that looked like it had a stovepipe. But it was cleared right away and ran fine after that.

I figured I better try the FNP40 out and see how it functions in almost below zero temps. Take into consideration this is my carry piece and is all full of fuzz, lint and anything else it picks up daily. I ran two mags through it without a hitch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts