FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need advice from anyone familiar with shooting the 4" FNS v 5" FNS Longslide

I'm going to be purchasing a FNS compact soon to pit it against my Glock 26. If the FNS tickles my fancy, I'm selling my Glocks and switching over to the FNS line. If/when I get to that point, do I want to get a 4" or a 5"? I would primarily use it as a range gun, nightstand gun, and occasional concealed carry in the winter. I've been carrying for ten years and I am not bashful about carrying a large gun. If I print a little with either gun because of their 5.5" grip I don't give a rip.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
218 Posts
It all depends on if you want the manual safety or not, since the LS isn't currently available with one. Other than that, just a matter of preference really (or which you can get the better deal on when the time comes!)

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 5" barrel is the size of a 1911. The grip is not a big deal bu if you carry IWB the longer pistol may hit when you sit down. The 4" is more forgiving in that area. I think the 5" shoots flatter and it is easier to shoot accurately due to the longer sight radius. I have the long slide, standard, and compact and I like them all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never shot the 4" model, but I find that the 5" isn't really any harder to CCW on the belt since it's really the grip length that gets you, and grip length is the same on the 4" and 5" models.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's different but not extreme. The full grip absorbs recoil better and the sight radius aids shooting. The compact has a dual recoil spring and I think that tames perceived recoil a bit. With a good stance and grip both shoot pretty flat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have both the 9L and the compact. I can easily conceal the compact with a IWB from Hidden Hybrid Holsters. I don't have any problem with printing at all. I have never worn an IWB until now an this is a very comfortable holster. The compact in now my EDC and nightstand gun. The 9L is my range gun and is very accurate. I am now looking for a good holster for the 9L for competition.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have both the 9L and the compact. I can easily conceal the compact with a IWB from Hidden Hybrid Holsters. I don't have any problem with printing at all. I have never worn an IWB until now an this is a very comfortable holster. The compact in now my EDC and nightstand gun. The 9L is my range gun and is very accurate. I am now looking for a good holster for the 9L for competition.
Just curious, why are you using your compact as your nightstand gun in lieu of the Longslide?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Haven't giving much thought to using the 9L as a night stand gun and the compact goes on the night stand after I take it off at the end of the day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven't giving much thought to using the 9L as a night stand gun and the compact goes on the night stand after I take it off at the end of the day.
I take it you're not running it with a light at night? Or do you take the time to put it on and take it off? I'm kind of lazy about that, so I'd rather have a dedicated pistol with a light mounted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am currently not running a light on it although I do have a surefire sitting next to it on the night stand. I am looking to put a set of night sights on it in the near future.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I take it you're not running it with a light at night? Or do you take the time to put it on and take it off? I'm kind of lazy about that, so I'd rather have a dedicated pistol with a light mounted.
I've never been a major proponent of a tactical light...just seems like a bad idea to me, since waking up, your eyes are already acclimated to the dark; it provides no real benefit imho. It does, however, tell the guy in your house just where to shoot (and very quickly, I might add) if he himself has a gun. The chance of "blinding" your intruder just isn't worth it to me.

If you want to mount a 500 watt halogen floodlamp on your headboard, that would work as intended (since then you aren't the source of said light) but otherwise, tac-lights are a bad idea.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never been a major proponent of a tactical light...just seems like a bad idea to me, since waking up, your eyes are already acclimated to the dark; it provides no real benefit imho. It does, however, tell the guy in your house just where to shoot (and very quickly, I might add) if he himself has a gun. The chance of "blinding" your intruder just isn't worth it to me.

If you want to mount a 500 watt halogen floodlamp on your headboard, that would work as intended (since then you aren't the source of said light) but otherwise, tac-lights are a bad idea.
I understand your perspective, and maybe you're right, but most experts I've heard weigh in on the issue feel differently. Maybe there are some out there, but I can't think of one who doesn't advocate a weapon light on a nightstand gun. The benefits of positively identifying your target, I would imagine, far outweigh the light serving as one. If you live alone that may be different, but if there are other people in the house, I'd rather put myself in jeopardy than anyone else. That's just me. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and I'm sure we're both right depending on the circumstances.

·
Registered
39 Posts
...I bought a TLR-1 HL to try out on some of my AR Pistols & 1911's but when I tried it out on my 9c the switch butted up against the front of the trigger guard and wouldn't seat properly. This is with the 1913 rail insert. I could probably trim some material off the front of the trigger guard but probably just try a smaller/shorter light instead.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the 9 and 9C but not the 9L. For a full size I picked up the FNX45. :) The 9L will fit in my kydex hybrid IWB but the barrel would stick below the bottom.
Some day in the not too distant future I'll be giving my FNS9 to my son and have to decide what to fill that space with. My daughter likes my FNX45 and the FNS9C. So I may end up with 2 spots to fill :)
I have to say I love all of my FN pistols. The 9C is my EDC.
I can see how the 9L would be better for the range at longer distances.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have all 3 of the FNS-9 line and like them equally. However, they all have different purposes. My 9C is that, for carry only. The FNS-9, originally my competition gun of choice, is now night stand gun with light attached, and the FNS-9L is my USPSA/Steel Challenge/IPDA gun.
No matter how you cut the deck, you won't be disappointed with any of them.

One other fact that I have witnessed with my own eyes...functionality! I have seen "glockers" at a host of different matches and have seen several falter but my FNS-9L runs all day long...

Another fact to consider, is that if you are fan of the aftermarket Glock parts and accessories, you will be disappointed with the fact that there isn't anything like that for the FNS line. Additionally, know that the grip angle will be different as the FNS is more in line with (if not the same as) the 1911.

And a final note, if you are going to pit the FNS-9C against the G26, take a look at the video by Hickock45 on YouTube...I believe him to be one of the more reliable sources for testing and reviews and he actually tests the FNS-9C in one of his latest videos and compares it to the Glocks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And a final note, if you are going to pit the FNS-9C against the G26, take a look at the video by Hickock45 on YouTube...I believe him to be one of the more reliable sources for testing and reviews and he actually tests the FNS-9C in one of his latest videos and compares it to the Glocks.
Good information, thanks. I've watched every Youtube video available about the 9c, but at this point what I'm most interested in knowing is the impact on recoil and accuracy between the three FNS models, especially the FNS 9 and FNS 9c.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts