FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted a while back about getting a walther P-22 and went to the gun shop the other day and started looking at the ruger mark 3..Which one do you guys think I should go with? Starting to hear alot more good things about the ruger.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
The Ruger is a solid choice for sure. I have the P-22 and haven't had an issue with it. I like how light weight it is vs the ruger. Can't loose with either in my book :?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
The Ruger is a real target 22. The Walther is more of a plinker, and while most of the bugs have been worked out from when it 1st came on the scene (it was truely horrible when they first started to be sold) - the Walther is still picky about ammo from what others have stated.

Also, the Walther has a zinc slide - which is not very tough. I am a SUPER huge fan of the P99 from Waltehr - but the P22 isn't even made by Walther. Uramex, the company that owns Walther and makes airguns in Europe actually makes the P22.

I almost bought a Ruger Mark 3 10/22, but got a Browning Buckmark instead. I kinda regret not buying the Ruger because my Buckmark jams pretty frequently - no matter what ammo I use.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I hear baretta make a good 22lr hand gun :? Can't remember the name offhand :oops:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd find a good used Ruger Mk II. The III did move the mag release to "where it belongs" but also added a mag disconnect safety, etc. that you may not like...

Other good options would be a browning buckmark. building up a 22lr 1911, or maybe an EAA Witness (CZ97b clone, and a good one) in 9/10/40/45 with a 22 conversion kit...

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have both. i shoot the ruger mk III with a red dot. it is heavy but i love it. the walther is too small for me but my wife loves it. have not had a problem with either one. look at the post ARSENAL 1 for pics of them.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I'd find a good used Ruger Mk II.

Good luck - I have friends who have been searching for some time now for that pistol. Luckily I bought a Mark II years ago (government model with the heavy barrel). It is number one on my list of guns I would never sell. If it was a choice between getting rid of the Mark II and eating dog food I would select Gravy Train for the tasty tasty gravy.

There is nothing wrong with the Mark III other than the mag disconnect "safety". The Ruger .22 pistols are bulletproof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts