FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a gunshow over the weekend, and traded 11 boxes of the white 95 for 11 boxes of the blue tipped 97. He wasn't going to do it initially, but I said, "what if I were to buy another 500 rounds" (which I was planning on doing anyway), and he decided to deal with me then. :cool:

Anyway, now I will be shooting the same speed bullet out of my pistol, so they all should perform about the same and I should now be able to know about where the bullet will hit after being fired. As of now, I only have 2,500 rounds. I'm sure I'm a light weight compared to some of you, but it is a good start. :eek:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Cool. 2,500 doesn't seem light to me! Now if you could just keep it at that level..
The blue tip is probably better anyway. I've been keeping and shooting 95 but my next batch will be blue tip. I was operating under the assumption that a tumbling 95 is more effective than a shattering 97. But the 95 isn't actually that good at weight retention, or tumbling.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that when I take the USG out for a trip to the range, I'll probably just buy a box or two, so yeah, I'd like to keep it to that level.

While I was first talking to the guy at the gunshow, he wasn't interested in making a trade, and I was about to take the ammo back out to my car, when I remembered that I was going to be getting more, so I was lucky that he decided to take me up on the trade, due to my getting more from him. I also purchased some 9X18 (for my brother's gun) and some .223 from his as well, so it was in his best interest to trade then. :?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I have 2300 rounds of 5.7x28mm

All is 197 except for a remaining 350 rounds of 195.

I prefer 197 as well. I think it makes a better defensive round, and it shoots cleaner.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have about 5.5K total right now (stocking up for when the son visits next month, he's got a new PS90 on the way and he likes to shoot... *a lot*!... :-D ), mostly 197 with maybe 1k of 195 left that I use for practice only. I keep 3K of 197 put back at all times.
Tomac

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I have a case of 2000 SS197SR that I bought last year from CMMG for 700 bucks, and I still have about 300 rounds of SS195 left that I paid $18.00 a box for from when I bought the rifle.

I don't plan on opening the case, I'll shoot the 195 up and then buy as I shoot, keeping the full case in storage in the event ammo suddenly becomes hard to come by or goes way up in price. CMMG is up to 800 a case for SS197SR now.

Check this out!! :evil:

http://4thehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=100089324
2100 rounds of SS192 for $1800.00 bucks. I don't think so chum. I don't want any SS192 that bad!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I shoot from my stash, and then immediately replace it with new ammo - that way I can cycle thru my storage and not have it sit on the shelf forever.

I have about5 00-600 rounds of 195 originally (now I only have 350). I think I'm probably gonna shoot that up and just stick with 197.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It would seem that the 197 is the best choice, particularly for the pistol. I may buy a box every other week or so, perhaps break the 3K mark. I may eventually purchase more magazine. Seems like this handgun would be an excellent CQB firearm to use, if you don't have a short carbine. A few 20 round magazines, a few with 10 round extenders, should be plenty of firepower in a (hopefully never) "worst case scenario".

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, it would seem that, from the link I addressed earlier, the poster of that link thought that the 197 was a better round than the 9mm. Did I understand him correctly?

However, he seemed "wow-ed" by the 9mm Horady Tap.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Other than some specialty rounds from Wil Baca (and maybe some from Elite in the future), I've limited my ammo cache to SS197 as well.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
[quoteI shoot from my stash, and then immediately replace it with new ammo - that way I can cycle thru my storage and not have it sit on the shelf forever.

I have about5 00-600 rounds of 195 originally (now I only have 350). I think I'm probably gonna shoot that up and just stick with 197.[/quote]

want to trade your ss195 for ss197? :)

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Appreciate the offer, but that's okay. It's not worth all that shipping. As I continue to shoot, I'll shoot it out in 2-3 more trips. If I had something like 1000k of the stuff, I might take U up on that. But what I have will go pretty quickly.

Thanks for the offer, though....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
dont get me wrong I like 197, but its harder to find 195 in my area then 197. The places that have 195 know they are the only ones within a short driving range so they charge 25 a box. Average price for 197 is 18 to 19 a box in my area, plus uncle sam`s cut. I perfer to have 195 for the S.H.T.F., or am I wrong? Is ss195 a better round for practical self defence or is the ss197 better? I did some scrolling on the forum, and I still didnt find the answer I wanted. Basically the ss197 fracments on impact, but it seems the ss195 would have better penitration.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I did some highly unscientific penetration/trauma tests on gallon water jugs set in a row. 195 caused more visible trauma in the first jug whereas 197 caused more visible trauma in the 2nd jug. Penetration seemed very similar w/both rds reaching the 3rd jug but pieces of 197 sometimes penetrating (barely) the backside of the 3rd jug. I prefer the lead-based primer of the 197 for long-term storage & the fragmenting/expanding bullet for increased vascular trauma. Now, if I could get my hands on some 190... :twisted:
Tomac

1 - 20 of 25 Posts