FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this Colt up at a military show this last weekend.
It is a 2nd Generation Actual Colt made in the early 70's.
.36 cal cap and ball. It is in very good condition with some holster wear.
These 2nd gen's are hard to come by. 3rd gen's are still around but are not being made anymore either.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Very cool! What is the pattern on the cylinder?

When I was about 12 my Father took me to one of his muzzle loader meetings. One of his friends had just bought a similar pistol... he forgot to smear (vaseline?) on the front of the cylinder... when he fired the first shot he got more than he bargained for. :evil: Somehow more than one round went off. I thought the vaseline was to keep moisture out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TA:
Very cool! What is the pattern on the cylinder?
It is a battle scene celebrating the victory of the Texas Navy at the Battle of Campeche in May 1843.

It is pretty neat scene!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
I thought the vaseline was to keep moisture out.
Naw, vaseline make the ball slide down the barrel faster :? .

It can serve both puposes, to keep from having a ring fire and sealing the chamber against moisture. I like using a heavy grease instead. But I make double sure by seating the ball over a waxed felt disc which you can normally find where you buy your black powder supplies. This gives me two barriers the flame has to breech to set-off one of the chambers that's not in battery.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
VH,

You made me read up on that 2 month period of time. I ashamed I forgot so much. I'm pretty good on Texas history, but that battle... battles... is not taught much. I wish Yukatan would have won.

Thanx Dude!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I passed one up a few weeks back for $500.00
3rd generation

1 - 9 of 9 Posts