FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple of days, it got to me too much. Lastnight, after I had just went to bed, I laid there for a bit, got back up, turned my computer back on, and ended the auction early [no bids yet]. I could use the money, but something is keeping me from going through with it. I even had boxes of SS197SR layed out in groups of 400 - 800 rounds after the pistol sold. I put it all back in the safe. Yes, I like the gun. I shoot my CZ pistols better. When I think about taking the Five Seven out, the idea of "each box of 50 rounds is at least $25 these days, sometimes up towards $30" makes me feel that it is too expensive to get any GOOD "day at the range" time in.

Any insights?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
you made the right decision to hang on to it; only regrets come from selling awesome firearms. The FsN pistol is a great one to have in any collection. Wise choice to keep it!

·
Registered
896 Posts
If it really is the ammo cost that makes you want to sell it, look into reloading. A single stage press (what you should be using for this round) is pretty cheap to get started with. If you like to shoot your FsN a lot, you will pay for the press pretty quickly. You can load a SS197 clone for about $.25 a round, about half the cost of factory ammo. Reloading is not for everyone, and there are a lot on this board that will not load the 5.7x28, but if you are detail orientated and have the time, it can be done safely.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Trent, I am quite aware of the price for 45acp rounds. It's why I don't have a pistol chambered in that round. But I'm to the point of "purchasing a box of American Eagle every once in a while" to take it out to the range because I can't bring myself to open a box of the 197. Currently in my local area, they are $30 a box [50]. I know they can be found for less on line, but shipping adds up and I can't afford to buy enough to where it would save me money.

But then, the idea that it really is a fantastic weapon to have if you had to carry out. A lot more ammo can be carried and less fatigue in such a scenario. Of course, a scenario that I certainly hope never happens in the first place, and may not in my lifetime, which would negate the need for "a light weight pistol that shoots light weight [to carry] ammo". It's quite the connundrum, sometimes. If I had more money, it wouldn't be an issue. I guess THAT means I should keep it and find other ways to get money for my future needs.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
kmiles, I have seen those topics on reloading the round. I am detail oriented, but I'd still be nervous about reloading such a pressured round. Maybe I will, someday.

BigBuckeyeGuy, thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I sold mine during the panic for over 2000 on gb and regretted it despite making money on a gun I used the hell out of. But the reason I sold it at the time was frustration when I couldnt get ammo at normal prices. But I corrected that problem last December and got a new one.

I say hold onto it unless you really really need the money. It isnt a good time to sell right now anyways its allot better to be a buyer Im seeing nothing but deals.

And I agree with you certain guns I can shoot way better then my expensive stuff. Im such a good shot with Glock and Smith and Wesson. Im pretty crappy with the fnx 45 and it is frustrating

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I THINK the "better shot" thing, for me, may be an issue of how impressive my 9mm pistols make holes in the paper, as compared to the small holes from the 5.7x28. When you aren't making "a ragged hole the size of a quarter", but instead are making a bunch of tiny holes in the same area, it makes it less impressive to behold. BTW, which FNX 45 did you get that you aren't connecting with well? Hopefully not the FNX 45 Tactical. That would be a very expensive piece to not get good groups with. Price of the gun and the ammo??? Yeah, that would be rather frustrating.

Anyway, I think you are right about "what type of market it is".

·
Registered
252 Posts
It would be wise and recommended to keep anything at this point. Especially with the guns laws changing

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I THINK the "better shot" thing, for me, may be an issue of how impressive my 9mm pistols make holes in the paper, as compared to the small holes from the 5.7x28. When you aren't making "a ragged hole the size of a quarter", but instead are making a bunch of tiny holes in the same area, it makes it less impressive to behold. BTW, which FNX 45 did you get that you aren't connecting with well? Hopefully not the FNX 45 Tactical. That would be a very expensive piece to not get good groups with. Price of the gun and the ammo??? Yeah, that would be rather frustrating.

Anyway, I think you are right about "what type of market it is".
yeah i have two fnx 45 tac one black one fde but with practice Im sure I can get it down. I just love shooting my hk 45 more so kind of neglect them. Also got them in advance for when I get my suppressors

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Understood, Cpt. Probably wise, indeed.

Jim, wow, two of them. I really love the look of the FDE one, but dang are they pricey. Keep working with them!

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
My simple take on it is this -- I have a passenger car, and then I have my 2 door yellow convertible. My 2 door convertible is t great on gas, is low to the ground and hard to get out of, gas guzzling, speeding ticket prone, attractive to dirt- Bird ****- crazy drivers, door swingers make me nervous in parking lots but do I give it all up because of these things-- no, it isn't practical, reliable or easy to drive-- I love my five seven, it is expensive, but that doesn't take away the fact that I love my five seven.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me restate something about this. Considering that the rounds you can get for this gun are basically defensive ammo, the prices aren't all that bad. If there had been practice ammo for around $16/50, however, then a person could do more practice shooting. Outside of the tricky reloading for this round, the least expensive is the American Eagle and those aren't all that cheap either.

Anyway, I hear what you all are saying. Troublesx10, I totally get what you were allegorizing there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
+1 for reloading. I've been reloading for a few years now and if you are methodical and careful, it can definitely be done. I found that my reloads outperform AE ammo consistently. Probably because my QC is better...but I'm a bit paranoid about my loads. The key is to not get distracted and do it all in single stages. Not for those with small children or lots of interruptions.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It may be awhile before I get into reloading, and probably would be best to start with 9mm rather than jumping into what many wouldn't want to reload. Currently I live in an apartment with no work space, so I'll wait until I get into a house.

Lastnight, I put my rounds in convenient boxes [size efficient] and into the safe again. Pistol once again resides where it was. I plan on taking it to the range again soon to fire the remaining 40 rounds in the American Eagle box.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The best ammo available 198LF(elite ammo is probably better but I have yet to even see it in stock) is about 400 per 500 rounds tops. ((Avoid scammers like Precisionriflesupply who charge 2.50 per.)) That's .80c a round tops, while insanely high it's still on par with most premium defense ammo of other calibers. The AE 40 grain while not great is fine for range work and it's sitting at .50 per. What's the problem?

As for reloading 5.7, no. Even most experienced reloaders who shoot 5.7 don't reload it.

If you have trouble affording ammo it's time to sell the firearm.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Even if it's too expensive to shoot at the range all the time, it's too good at what it is to let it go. I keep mine in a thin shoulder bag - 60 rounds of rifle-velocity personal protection that's so light I forget it's there. And I have every confidence those "little holes" my SS198 makes on paper will tear the bad guy a new one.

·
Registered
896 Posts
As for reloading 5.7, no. Even most experienced reloaders who shoot 5.7 don't reload it.
I think you would be surprised by just how many people reload this caliber. There is not a lot of discussion about it on this forum, but there are several other forums where there is a high percentage of people who reload this caliber. There is load info for just about every pistol powder and bullet combination between 27 gr. and 55 gr.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts