FN Herstal Firearms banner

I received my SE SEAL MK4. First impressions.

6K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  IKEWarrior04 
#1 · (Edited)
Its finally here!

First, as others have reported, I also received swag with my SEAL order. Jim was very gracious and sent 3 SE patches, 2 SE T-Shirts, 1 SE Hat and 2 SE stickers and a business card with a thank you note on it. Impressive and I didn't even get to the SEAL yet.

Green Outerwear Sleeve Design Pattern

After unwrapping the SEAL from its packaging, I looked it over and was very impressed by the SEALs appearance. Both the machining and finish were Top Tier and was exactly what I was expecting from SE. The SEAL included a new grip screw ,"star" washer, and a new magazine catch assembly already installed into the SEAL along with the new SOAMR that I ordered. I honestly did not expect for the Mag catch assembly to be installed along with my soamr, which was a pleasant surprise.

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Gun accessory

( The attention to detail on the SEAL is top notch. Notice how the MIAD grip meets seamlessly with the enhanced trigger guard.)
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Gun accessory

Moving on to installation.

Now, I could bore you with every single detail, but I will say that the assembly was every bit as easy as the assembly video makes it out to be. All pins slid in effortlessly and were easy to align. Just follow the video and Piece O' Cake!
I found that seating the SEAL onto the SCAR17s was no harder than seating the OEM trigger module.

Moving onto the function check. Everything operated smoothly and in the same exact manner as the OEM polymer trigger module.

The finished product on my SCAR17s:

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Air gun

I have yet to pick up any PMag LR 25 round PMags so I'm going to run to the gunshoppe and pick up a few to cover magazine interface before I head to the range.

Verdict so far is that I am very impressed with the SE SEAL MK4 and I am very excited to take my SCAR17s with the SEAL MK4 to the range this week so I can give a full review on the SEAL.

See less See more
#3 ·
Damn MacBook Pro. Links should be good to go now, they're visible for me.

#6 ·
Thank you.

The SE site says 11.4 ounces for the MK4 MOD0. I hardly noticed any added weight to the gun and it felt more towards the rear of the gun. Its really hard to give an honest opinion without running it at the range.

#5 ·
Nice!!!

Reactions: IKEWarrior04
#11 ·
Hahaha! No, Its Velcro. Its a pretty nice hat.

Reactions: Fnpurist
#15 ·
Mk4 takes PMAGs.

Mk3 takes OEM FN mags so don't order the wrong one!

We can skip the Mod0 unless or until the Mod1 and/or other subsequent revisions come out.

#17 · (Edited)
SE MK4 MOD0 PMAG 25 LR Magazine Interface

I bought 2 brand new Magpul PMAG 25 LR Gen3 magazines today and proceeded to check all points.

Once I inserted the 25 LR Gen3 PMAG into the MK4 MOD0 SEAL, I checked that it was locked into place and took a look at the magazine catch and left mag release paddle. The magazine catch sits flush with the receiver and the left paddle sits parallel to the receiver with no looseness when the mag is inserted.

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun
Trigger

One thing I didn't mention is that since my SOAMR came installed, I wanted to mention that the SOAMR in no way interferes with assembly or disassembly of the FCG.

Moving on to the bolt catch. The bolt catch does not raise/ engage with a round in either PMag 25 LR. Both PMags locked the bolt to the rear. However, after just seeing a post by SE, other brands of magazines may have issues . Just like the SCAR16s with aftermarket mags, I HIGHLY advise checking the bolt catch to make sure it does not engage or raise the bolt catch with a round in the magazine. Failure to do so may cause damage to the bolt locking lugs and barrel extension.

Airsoft Airsoft gun
Revolver Auto part

As others have reported, fitment on the PMag 25 LR on the MK4 SEAL is tight like a glove. Both PMags dropped free when empty.

Last but not least was to perform a basic function check. All inspection points passed, which means...Its range time!

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

#21 ·
No, the Scar 17's pencil barrel is not made to run long streams of fire and the X-Drums are heavy, my HK91/PTR91 X-Drum weighs 2 pounds 2.2 ounces. It is the sold variety. 50 rounds of .308 is going to weigh between 2.5 and 3 pounds. So a loaded X-Drum is going to come in at around 5 pounds. And the X-Drum apparently does not share the same insertion area profile as the PMAGs.

These are probably some of the reasons Stryker chose to make PMAGS fit the S.E.A.L. perfectly at the cost of the typical X-Drum not being a plug and play option. Millions more rounds will go through Scars fed from PMAGs than from X-Drums. Therefore it makes no sense to sacrifice the fit of all those PMAGs just to make an X-Drum a plug and play option.

But you can probably file an X-Drum down to match PMAG dimensions and it should work fine in a S.E.A.L. and in theory *should* still work in other rifles as well. My guess is that the X-Drum is larger in the insertion area because it has to be in order for some rifles to hold a 5 pound magazine in the mag well without it falling out and breaking your foot.

I love my X-Drum in my PTR-91 because the PTR has a thick 18" bull barrel that can take some serious heat and abuse, the gun is a couple of pounds heavier than the Scar to start with so what's 5 more pounds? And a whole new PTR-91 costs less than just a a replacement barrel for my Scar 17.

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM
#25 ·
The Mk16, Mk17, 16S & 17S were never designed for the sustained fire role and dumping 50 rounds of 7.62X51 in rapid fire would hurt your 17S barrel. The Mk46 and Mk48 AWs are in place for this very reason - to allow the Operators carrying the Mk18, M4, and Mk17 the time to take a well placed shot on anyone foolish enough to engage them.

Barrel profile for the 16S, 17S, and the Mk17 is classified as lightweight, or as people commonly refer to them as, 'pencil' barrels. The M4 LW profile was changed to the M4 SOCOM profile for a reason, and please take note so there's no confusion on this subject. Barrels prematurely failed during prolonged battles in the GWOT when running the M4 LW profile barrel. This is part of why the SCAR program moved forward in the first place.

Sacrificing a $1000.00 barrel assembly during Stryker testing was not, and should not be taken as a green light to do the same by anyone reading this.

The Mk4 Mod0 magazine well follows the SR25 magazine well, and is broach cut for consistency and uniformity. Those who have an SR25 can attest the same drum will not fit in their SR25.

Looking forward to range reports from all who have purchase the SEAL.

Thank you.

#27 ·
Nice!!!

#28 ·
Planning on heading to the range tomorrow. I will be posting a live fire review on the MK4 (PMAG) SEAL equipped SCAR 17s.

#31 · (Edited)
Just got back from the range and I am happy to report that the MK4 (Pmag) SEAL works as advertised. 141 rounds of 7.62 and Hornady .308 were fired. No failures of any type were encountered and the bolt locked back to the rear every time. I will be doing a detailed review in a different thread, so please stay tuned. Thanks!

- IKE

#33 ·
#32 ·
Nice review IKE!!!

Reactions: IKEWarrior04
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.