FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new FDE FNX 45 tactical. I did read a little too many people here talk about issues with this gun.

I have never had a singe problem with my colt 1911 45 ACP or my 9mm ppq that I can remember.

First shot I took with my FNX was a stove pipe. First time that ever happened to me with any pistol I shot.

After the first stove pipe I was able to shoot the rest of the clip off without issue until I shot the last round and guess what, the slide did not stay held back.

The ammo I shot was Federal Champion bought at walmart, and I cleaned the gun with CLP properly before using.

Did I get a lemon pistol or is this pistol just not that reliable when you compare it to the PPQ or the colt 1911?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sorry you are having problems with yours.

Should have gotten a Black one!!

Well now you get to see what makes this gun tick!
Try different mags, cycle the gun by hand to find the hangup.

You'll get it - and you will learn about your gun in the process!

--or send it in for warranty and wait--

·
Registered
66 Posts
Others will be able to chime in better, but to my knowledge these guns have extremely stiff springs and need to be broken in by continuously racking the slide or some suggest storing with the slide back. After a bit it will be GTG. As far as the slide not locking back I'm not sure. Any chance you were shooting with your thumb on the slide release?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Mine has been flawless with 230 grain ammo. Not a single issue but then again I can only speak for my own pistol. I would contact FN if there is continued unreliability.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My first was a dog. My second one eats everything. Store it with the mags full and slide locked back. Get it loose. They are too tight from the factory.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have two FNX 45s. I stored both with the slides locked back in the safe for a month before taking them to the range. Both fired great. The springs are very tight , and need to be broken in. After that you should be fine.

Reactions: Goldngun

·
Registered
179 Posts
As much as I think the fnx tactical is a sweet pistol, there is way too many issues people seem to have. Fn needs to get there s_ _t together. Im sorry but 1000 bucks and you get to play with it to learn UNACCEPTABLE. I hope yours just needs some extra lube and rounds ran through it. But if it does not run true send it in. If you get it straightened out and do not feel comfortable with it anymore, do yourself a favor and unload it.

Imho the best 45acp combat pistol is a hk45 or hk45c. They run out of the box everytime and the accuracy rivals match grade 1911s. Yes they are not milled for a red dot and they are 10 vs 15 rounds but Ill take the loss of round count. The fullsize does feel like a poly 1911.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Your problem is that the recoil spring is stiff on a brand new FNX45 and Federal Champion is not hot ammo or as hot as American Eagle. Weaker ammo with a strong recoil spring will give you stovepipes and failure to lock slide back. The slide is not traveling to the rear fast enough to hit the ejector and throw the empty out, and is not travelling back far enough on last round to lock slide open. I am confident there is nothing wrong. Rack the slide a hundred times, try some hotter ammo, use firm grip and you will be fine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with the other suggestions. Try different ammo, different mags, a break-in period and pay close attention to your shooting habits. I used 230 grain PMC FMJ and mine shot great. No issues at all. This was just a few weeks ago. If it continues, call FNH.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Federal Champion is WAAY under powered. Mixed that in with a brand new recoil spring assembly and your setting up for stovepipes and failure to lock back. Try some hotter ammo to break it in first

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you are not happy send it to me. Take the pistol and load the mags and lock back the slide for a couple weeks. Lube it up and it will shoot fine. If not send it to me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Heck I just got my fde fnx45 tac and it did the same thing first time out but after a couple hundred rounds its flawless and the most comfortable/reliable 45 I have ever had the pleasure of using. Follow the tips from the others and you should be satisfied with the end result. In my opinion its like a new engine, gotta break it in before racing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I will try racking the slide to loosen it up.

I guess when I go to shoot again I will load in 1 bullet at a time to see if I can get it to lock back.

Are you sure guys that federal champion ammo is not reliable for this gun? I really hope this is not true. Why would a company make a wapon that does not work with the most popular 45 ACP ammo?

Also the 45 ACP rounds were very hard to get in the magazine, I mean I had to really force them in there especially when I got to the last rounds. Would this cause any issues?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Are you sure guys that federal champion ammo is not reliable for this gun? I really hope this is not true. Why would a company make a wapon that does not work with the most popular 45 ACP ammo?
Federal champion will work fine it is just underpowered for a new pistol with a tight spring. The .45 Tac was designed as a military weapon. The military runs hotter rounds for more reliable shooting. Like others have said, work the slide, shoot some hotter ammo for a hundred or two hundred rounds and try the federal again.

and yes.. the springs in the magazine are very tight as well. I had the same problem. Get yourself a MagLula magazine loader. They do not cost too much and will make your life, and thumbs, much better!

Maglula UpLULA Pistol Mag Loader Unloader Polymer Black

·
Registered
3 Posts
My FNX9 had same issues and did the ol "load mags lock slide for a week " trick. Works great now. My FNX45 I cleaned it and shot it. Zero problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine shot perfectly right out of the box. I didn't even leave the slide open or mags loaded. I also don't load magazines to full capacity for any of my firearms, instead -1 and never have any problems.

·
Banned
596 Posts
I own an FNP-45 Tactical and have never had a problem. It eats everything...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks guys, I will try racking the slide to loosen it up.

I guess when I go to shoot again I will load in 1 bullet at a time to see if I can get it to lock back.

Also the 45 ACP rounds were very hard to get in the magazine, I mean I had to really force them in there especially when I got to the last rounds. Would this cause any issues?
LOL, Your gun sounds like my first one. Literally every other round was ftf or fte. With several types of ammo this happened, but especially WWB and Federal Champion. Very anemic stuff. Also I could not fully load the mags without a lula. I though I got sent some 13 rounders by mistake. The gun was fde and after about 200 rounds, the wear on the gun looked like 2000 rounds. I got rid of it after all trouble shooting didn't help. I loved the feel of the gun so much that I took another chance. Got a black one. After about 500 rounds of WWB and Federal Champion, with even 50 of Tula, it has yet to have a problem. Gun finish appears unfired. Super accurate. I can easily load mags to capacity, and the gun generally feels better...looser. Not sure if FNH made a few bad ones early or what.

It is difficult to convince the HK fan boys that the FNXt is a winner with posts like these. Once the bad press is out, it's difficult to recover. But it truly is one of my favorite guns...probably equal to my MK23!

·
Registered
609 Posts
as others said weaker ammo doesnt work well in them when the gun is brand new.

i handload and load out my 45acp 230grain fmj at 850fps out of a 5" 1911. since this is the recipe for what the military uses it ran flawlessly in my fnx 45 tactical when it was brand new.

once you have run some ammo through it and the spring has borken itself in a bit you can start using lighter ammunition.

the only ammo i ran through mine that has trouble is craptastic ammo from pmc. varience on pmc 230grain fmj and hollowpoints can be as much as 200fps from cartridge to cartridge. its really just horrid shoddy stuff and doesnt run well in any 45acp i own including 3 colt 1911, a sigp220, and 2 xdm. so i dont blame my fnx for not running that crap either.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts