FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a hospital, and legally here in Michigan, I can't carry at work (also against company policy).

I got off work at 2315 tonight, and as I was leaving the parking ramp, about 8 cop cars went flying by towards our other employee parking ramp.

Apparently a security officer got shot (unarmed security officers, hopefully he was wearing a vest as most, but not all do).
It really sucks that we don't have armed officers and I really wish I could carry legally. I need to get a safe for my car as I don't like leaving a gun in there and we've had multiple break in's to vehicles the past few months.

Here's the link to the preliminary info:
GRPD: Spectrum Health security guard shot | WOODTV.com

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Wholly crap Dan, it sucks when sh!t like this happens so close to home or work in this case making it a personal matter. The good thing here, you weren't the one who got shot, and for that I'm sure we're all thankful as I'm sure you are too! Stay safe out there... :?

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I would never suggest you do anything illegal Dan. But if I did ever want to carry inconspicuously I would carry an NAA Mini master. By no means would I suggest you do that though... ... ...

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy thing is, that's exactly where I used to park just over a year ago. I try to walk out with my coworkers, so there's generally 4+ of us.

Right now I work directly above where I park, so I take the elevator down and my car is within 30 yards usually. That ramp is on the other side of the road and probably a 300-400 yard walk from the main hospital (it's a big ramp and they get some crazies in there from time to time)

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
That is crazy. I assume since 9/11 your hospital campus is covered every which way with cameras, I know all those down here are. The news report said "no suspects in custody" I imagine once their likenesses are posted on the national evening news that will change and we will quickly see arrests made.

Crazy thing is, that's exactly where I used to park just over a year ago. I try to walk out with my coworkers, so there's generally 4+ of us.

Right now I work directly above where I park, so I take the elevator down and my car is within 30 yards usually. That ramp is on the other side of the road and probably a 300-400 yard walk from the main hospital (it's a big ramp and they get some crazies in there from time to time)

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
That is crazy. I assume since 9/11 your hospital campus is covered every which way with cameras, I know all those down here are. The news report said "no suspects in custody" I imagine once their likenesses are posted on the national evening news that will change and we will quickly see arrests made.
Shows how much good cameras do. Is that their idea of security? I would be petitioning for armed guards for sure.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are camera's at the entrances (not sure if all) and on some center walls that divide the employee and visitor ramps. It would be pretty easy to avoid them though by just climbing over a wall or fence.

That's one area they are kind of lacking with camera's, but the did catch one of the car burglars from a month or two via the camera's and I believe that some were added since then (but I haven't been in there for over a year since I had no reason to be). They did increase the security presence and have the local PD doing more patrols in the area.

Sounds like one of the security officers had detained a kid that was breaking into vehicles (multiple kids from the sounds of it) and then the other security officer call for help due to being shot.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shows how much good cameras do. Is that their idea of security? I would be petitioning for armed guards for sure.
Armed guards would be nice.

This coming spring I might become a reserve deputy sheriff for a county up north of where I am. That would eliminate the 'pistol free zones' for me, but as a hospital employee, I wouldn't be allowed to carry while acting as an employee of the hospital (but if I'm visiting someone, it would be okay for me to carry). It would be a little tricky for me to carry with my attire at times anyway.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
They do serve their purposes well Kam especially all the neat and covert places they put them now, they see in color with HD clarity and at night. The hospital up the street from me has armed security but they're the plainclothes guys and gals not the ones in uniform. It's bad when a place of refuge and medical help turns into a battleground, makes one wonder how much further down the toilet can society swirl.

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
They do serve their purposes well Kam especially all the neat and covert places they put them now, they see in color with HD clarity and at night. The hospital up the street from me has armed security but they're the plainclothes guys and gals not the ones in uniform. It's bad when a place of refuge and medical help turns into a battleground, makes one wonder how much further down the toilet can society swirl.
They may do good after the fact. But as far as prevention and response is concerned their usefulness is quite limited. Hospitals are target rich environments. There are plenty of highly paid employees that work there who might have things worth stealing in their cars. Hospitals also have percription drugs. The fact that they are soft targets makes them irresistible to the bad element. Its absolutely mental that most of them are ungaurded.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And just got an email telling employee's not to go out to their vehicles (I think the ramp is closed and will be for a while). Would suck to be stuck at work off the clock.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm wondering if this incident will bring any changes to our security policies (as in armed guards - at least outside the hospital). I'd be surprised if that happened though.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
It's illegal to conceal carry into a hospital in TX as well. Doesn't make any sense because most hospitals are in the ****tiest neighborhoods, with tons of dragworms wandering around at all hours of the night. After getting mugged in medical school, I carried a .380 for years in my backpack. When it became illegal, I just left it in the car. We can leave guns in our cars, but then again its not the safest place if someone decides to break in.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Uh.....it IS legal to carry in a hospital in Texas. Unless the proper 30.06 signage is posted(PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER). However..if you work in the hospital, your employer can forbid you to carry in the hospital. Time to review your state laws.

To the OP...I'd move to a different State.....In fact....I did....From NY to my now adopted homeland. ...Texas.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I'm glad I have a problem reading...

What's your life worth to you???

But if you are stuck with the law, carry pepper spray and a Fenix PD35 850 lumen flashlight.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Its been posted everywhere I've ever worked. Of course criminals will totally disregard it. Luckily I have nice parking close to the back door. Employees have to walk for blocks to get to their lots though.
Uh.....it IS legal to carry in a hospital in Texas. Unless the proper 30.06 signage is posted(PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER). However..if you work in the hospital, your employer can forbid you to carry in the hospital. Time to review your state laws.

To the OP...I'd move to a different State.....In fact....I did....From NY to my now adopted homeland. ...Texas.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I work at a hospital, and legally here in Michigan, I can't carry at work (also against company policy).

I got off work at 2315 tonight, and as I was leaving the parking ramp, about 8 cop cars went flying by towards our other employee parking ramp.

Apparently a security officer got shot (unarmed security officers, hopefully he was wearing a vest as most, but not all do).
It really sucks that we don't have armed officers and I really wish I could carry legally. I need to get a safe for my car as I don't like leaving a gun in there and we've had multiple break in's to vehicles the past few months.

Here's the link to the preliminary info:
GRPD: Spectrum Health security guard shot | WOODTV.com

My wife works at St Mary's hospital not far from you. There have been multiple incidents in her parking garage also. I really worry for her safety. I know the feeling.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife works at St Mary's hospital not far from you. There have been multiple incidents in her parking garage also. I really worry for her safety. I know the feeling.
Not surprised they're having issues as well. I'm not a big fan of the area around there (although it's only a mile away).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts