FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found on Government site:

FN Herstal, S.A., Herstal, Belgium, is being awarded a five year indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract with possible delivery orders up to $27,900,000 for the production, delivery, and associated support of the Marine Corps' Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR). The IAR will be a light weight, magazine fed, 5.56 mm weapon which will enhance the automatic rifleman's maneuverability and displacement speed while providing the ability to suppress or destroy not only area targets, but point targets as well. The IAR is planned to replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapons (SAW) currently employed by automatic riflemen within Infantry and Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) Battalions. Although four contracts will be made initially, delivery orders will be awarded for samples. First Article, spare/repair parts, and various support services; and, eventually one of the four contractors may be awarded delivery orders for up to 6,500 IARs. FN Herstal's production facility is in Herstal, Belgium. Delivery of contract line items will be as stated on applicable delivery orders. Contractfunds will be obligated in multiple delivery orders. This contract was competitively procured. The Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico, Va., is the contracting activity (M67854-09-D-1037).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Way to go FN. ::!!!::

This is great news.
Looks like the SCAR family is going to be introduced to replace a wide variety of weapons for many branches of the millitary. This proves the versatility of the smart modular design. :?

This will ensure we would get a wide range of SCAR based products and accessories for the civilian market for a long time. :shock: 8)

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I want to get my hands on a SCAR-H :shock:

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I still don't understand the logic behind getting rid of the SAW...

Anyway, congrats FNH :shock:

·
Registered
161 Posts
djv38 said:

The way I understand it they don't want to replace all SAW's.
I am glad FN won. Rumours on other fora by "reliabel sources" made me believe Colt had won the competition. Anyway. Great step-up for introduction of the SCAR in the rest of the Corps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
djv38 said:

The SAW is a bit of an overkill for a SQUAD automatic weapon. In the curent type of very fluid, close quarters combat engagements, a belt fed MG is not very practical and it atracts a lot of attention.

In a more standard type, stand off battle field, that doesn't require a lot of maneuvering a belt fed system is great but not in the urban, block by block, house clearing type of combat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Actually by the look of it this is the contract to participate in the final competition for the IAR contract.

Looks like there are four entries:

FN Herstal, S.A., Herstal, Belgium, is being awarded a five year indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract with possible delivery orders up to $27,900,000 for the production, delivery, and associated support of the Marine Corps’ Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR). The IAR will be a light weight, magazine fed, 5.56 mm weapon which will enhance the automatic rifleman’s maneuverability and displacement speed while providing the ability to suppress or destroy not only area targets, but point targets as well. The IAR is planned to replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapons (SAW) currently employed by automatic riflemen within Infantry and Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) Battalions. Although four contracts will be made initially, delivery orders will be awarded for samples. First Article, spare/repair parts, and various support services; and, eventually one of the four contractors may be awarded delivery orders for up to 6,500 IARs. FN Herstal’s production facility is in Herstal, Belgium. Delivery of contract line items will be as stated on applicable delivery orders. Contractfunds will be obligated in multiple delivery orders. This contract was competitively procured. The Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico, Va., is the contracting activity (M67854-09-D-1037).

Heckler and Koch Defense, Inc., Ashburn, Va., is being awarded a five year indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract with possible delivery orders up to $23,600,000 for the production, delivery, and associated support of the Marine Corps’ Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR). The IAR will be a light weight, magazine fed, 5.56 mm weapon which will enhance the automatic rifleman’s maneuverability and displacement speed while providing the ability to suppress or destroy not only area targets, but point targets as well. The IAR is planned to replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapons (SAW) currently employed by automatic riflemen within Infantry and Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) Battalions. Although four contracts will be made initially, delivery orders will be awarded for samples. First Article, spare/repair parts, and various support services; and, eventually one of the four contractors may be awarded delivery orders for up to 6,500 IARs. Work will be performed in Oberndorf, Germany. Delivery of contract line items will be as stated on applicable delivery orders. Contractfunds will be obligated in multiple delivery orders. This contract was competitively procured. The Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico, Va., is the contracting activity (M67854-09-D-1038).

Colt Defense, Inc., West Hartford, Conn., is being awarded a five year indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract with possible delivery orders up to $14,000,000 for the production, delivery, and associated support of the Marine Corps’ Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR). The IAR will be a light weight, magazine fed, 5.56 mm weapon which will enhance the automatic rifleman’s maneuverability and displacement speed while providing the ability to suppress or destroy not only area targets, but point targets as well. The IAR is planned to replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapons (SAW) currently employed by automatic riflemen within Infantry and Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) Battalions. Although four contracts will be made initially, delivery orders will be awarded for samples, First Article, spare/repair parts, and various support services; and, eventually one of the four contractors may be awarded delivery orders for up to 6,500 IARs. Colt’s production facility is in West Hartford, Conn. Work will be performed in West Hartford, Conn. Delivery of contract line items will be as stated on applicable delivery orders. Contractfunds will be obligated in multiple delivery orders. This contract was competitively procured. The Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico, Va., is the contracting activity (RFP M67854-08-R-1000, proposal 6940, contract number M67854-09-D-1035).

Colt Defense, Inc., West Hartford, Conn., is being awarded a five year indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract with possible delivery orders up to $14,000,000 for the production, delivery, and associated support of the Marine Corps’ Infantry Automatic Rifle (IAR). The IAR will be a light weight, magazine fed, 5.56 mm weapon which will enhance the automatic rifleman’s maneuverability and displacement speed while providing the ability to suppress or destroy not only area targets, but point targets as well. The IAR is planned to replace the M249 Squad Automatic Weapons (SAW) currently employed by automatic riflemen within Infantry and Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) Battalions. Although four contracts will be made initially, delivery orders will be awarded for samples, First Article, spare/repair parts, and various support services; and, eventually one of the four contractors may be awarded delivery orders for up to 6,500 IARs. Colt’s production facility is in West Hartford, Conn. Work will be performed in West Hartford, Conn. Delivery of contract line items will be as stated on applicable delivery orders. Contractfunds will be obligated in multiple delivery orders. This contract was competitively procured. The Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico, Va., is the contracting activity (RFP M67854-08-R-1000, proposal 6940H, and contract number M67854-09-D-1036).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yep, three reputable companies made it to the next round.

The competition gets a lot tougher after this.

The FN design, which is based on the SCAR, is really unique in the way it "decides" to go from closed to open bolt.

No posibility of a cook off.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Any pictures? :eek:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I don't understand why the cooling vent were not included on the upper foward part of the reciever like on the regular scar. To me it seems like these vents would be a help in cooling the barrel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
m1ajunkie said:
I don't understand why the cooling vent were not included on the upper foward part of the reciever like on the regular scar. To me it seems like these vents would be a help in cooling the barrel.
Maybe the "open bolt" offers a better cooling solution? Of course I could be barking to the wrong tree. :lol:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Somehow I would have expected a much larger magazine as well.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Sure is Jaws.

:?

BlitzPigs are everywhere, didn't you get the memo.

:-D

·
Registered
114 Posts
BlitzPig said:
Sure is Jaws.

:?

BlitzPigs are everywhere, didn't you get the memo.

:-D

Oink Oink! :shock:

I knew was you after that "Guess the gun" thread. :-D After you said you ditched your Glocks for the FMP. :-D 8)

Good to see you bro. Have a Merry Christmas. :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
And a Merry Christmas to you too sir.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts