FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone. Newbie here. I'm in a transaction locally for what appears to be a FrankenFAL. We've reached an agreement and I'm committed. I've done research, but not an expert to ID individual parts. I like the vibe of this forum and figured I'd ask here.

Definitely a DSA Type II upper receiver with unknown upper rail, Penguin SAW guard and grip, hump stock (DSA or Penguin?) and DSA 10-rnd mags (Damn CA). Based on the charging handle I am assuming it is aluminum and the rest are USA metric parts.

I can't ID anything else pictured nor the maker of the lower as that thingy is blocking the way behind the selector. What is that thingy?

There is also a DSA Muzzle Brake (currently thread protector installed), but I believe I would need an indexing washer to ID it. I've read that there is a paperclip method, but some mentioned steel paperclips and some didn't. What the heck does that even mean?

I won't discuss the price agreed, but if you have an idea of what you'd value it at, please do share. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't help you but that is one nice looking FAL.

Thanks. Not mine yet, but very soon it will be. I'll enjoy it as much as I possible can. I own an AR, but don't think I'll enjoy it as much as the FAL. The AR was ehhhh and cool, but the FAL... The FAL just called to me. I like it more than the Daewoos and M-14s.

I figured out what the "thingy" behind the selector was. It's the take down lever. The photos of FALs that I've seen didn't have these or rather had different variants so I didn't take notice until now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice riFAL. The lower looks like a metric, possibly StG 58. Most of the other parts are from an inch gun, possibly Aussie. The upper receiver is a DSA type 1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice riFAL. The lower looks like a metric, possibly StG 58. Most of the other parts are from an inch gun, possibly Aussie. The upper receiver is a DSA type 1.
Woah. I did not expect this at all. Seller said it was from a metric kit. Didn't mention any inch parts. I assumed DSA Type II due to the lightening cuts seen on the rear hook looking portion of the upper.

Is this an issue for FrankenFALs? Could you describe how you are confirming this? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's not all correct.

Yes, the lower is a STG58, the barrel is South African as is the gas plug. The only inch parts I see are the bolt AND carrier, (the bolt is definitely British) but that's fine and they will work in a metric receiver.
The handguards and stock are the cheaply made Penguin compliance models, I would recommend replacing the handguards with ones that have metal liners.

Try and find out the prefix on the receiver, the ones that start with "DS" are the "good" forged receivers made by LMT, the ones that start with "DSA" are the "less good" ones that are made in-house.

My main concern with this gun would be the barrel, I have seen over a dozen South African barrels and only about 1/4th of them weren't rough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
10-4. The receiver starts with DS. It is the LMT version based on your info. I blacked out the serial without thinking of that.

What should I be look for in regards to the barrel or have him photograph?

Any thoughts on what you'd personally value the rifle at? I am in California and our prices will be slightly higher than elsewhere so I'll account for that. Thanks

That's not all correct.

Yes, the lower is a STG58, the barrel is South African as is the gas plug. The only inch parts I see are the bolt AND carrier, (the bolt is definitely British) but that's fine and they will work in a metric receiver.
The handguards and stock are the cheaply made Penguin compliance models, I would recommend replacing the handguards with ones that have metal liners.

Try and find out the prefix on the receiver, the ones that start with "DS" are the "good" forged receivers made by LMT, the ones that start with "DSA" are the "less good" ones that are made in-house.

My main concern with this gun would be the barrel, I have seen over a dozen South African barrels and only about 1/4th of them weren't rough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
10-4. The receiver starts with DS. It is the LMT version based on your info. I blacked out the serial without thinking of that.

What should I be look for in regards to the barrel or have him photograph?

Any thoughts on what you'd personally value the rifle at? I am in California and our prices will be slightly higher than elsewhere so I'll account for that. Thanks
Personally I would value it at no more than $1000 considering it is a mixmaster kit and I would not buy it even at that price if the receiver is a "DSA" prefix. It has the cheapo Tapco stripper clip cover which doesn't work all that well too.
If you check the FALfiles you can probably find a deal on a quality kit build for around $1200-1300.

As it stands you are looking at parts value of:
$450 receiver
$250-300 mismatched parts kit
$75 compliance parts
$150-200 build cost with repark

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's not all correct.

Thanks, I wasn't sure about the barrel. I'm not well versed on the SA stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts