FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys,

I have been back and forth on what direction I should set up my SCAR 17 for ,I have decided to make it my primary SHTF arm. SBR 13" with a suppressor, I live in a urban environment and do not see my self going past 300-400 yards at MAX that includes paper punching and hog hunting, and possibly some 3 gun comp.

Question is what scope would you guys recommend I feel I would not need anything past x6. I was looking at a USO SR-6. Any nice not over the top expensive scopes you guys have field tested and recommend. I was about to pull the trigger on a NF 2.5-10 yesterday that's to much scope giving I am going to go SBR. Main use would be again paper punching, hog hunting, 3 gun and overwatch in a SHTF scenario people, zombies, mutant ninja aliens whatever.

Main concerns.

Quality
Durability
Weight

Thanks in advance.
SR.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If it was me, for a SHTF rifle I'd prefer an unmagnified optic without parallax concerns, like an AimPoint or EOTech. My main reasoning there is that in a SHTF scenario I'm more likely to be shooting <100 yards and what I really want is speed, speed and more speed. Just my $0.02.

I just put a 2 MOA Aimpoint CompML3 with an Aimpoint 3X magnifier on a flip-to-side mount on my SCAR 17S and while I haven't worked with it much yet, I think I'm going to like this combination.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fourth Horseman that does sound like a nice combo I am going to have to look into that, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been thinking about this too. I've thought about the Primary Arms 1-6x mainly for its reticle and price. The reticle seems really easy to use as you just line up the hash mark the to the targets torso and has a built in range finder thing. But quality may be lacking since it is such a low price at $250. I was also recommended the Vortex HD Gen 2 1-6x which is about the same price as the USO SR-6 you mentioned. Heard and read a lot of great things out there and even Jerry Miculek uses it. Then there is the top of the line Z6i which is probably the best out there but it costs about $2.5k.

If you really want speed then I'd say the Aimpoint Micro. Its really small, light, and battery lasts a long time. I'm not a fan of the eotech though. I have one and shooting around the 100yd range or more gets pretty tough and the reticle gets too busy for me which is why I'm looking for a 1-6x. Also with the flip to side magnifiers, I'd say to try them out becuase it may not be for everyone. I tried it and it just wasn't for me. It adds weight and flipped to the side it blocks my right peripheral vision. This is just my opinoin. In the end you just got to try what ever you choose out and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im not sure what over the top expensive, weight criteria or your ability as a 3 gun shooter is? But for your desired purpose +/- and max 300-400 yard distance. The Elcan SpecterDR 1.5-6x optic would seem like a suitable candidate, especially for those ninja aliens! :th_thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why not have the best of both worlds, something of 16x to reach clearly out to 400 yards without guessing on bullet drop etc(meaning with 4x can you really see target out there), and a canted iron for close issues. Plus if SHTF and you have the scope on you wont need to switch to bonoc's to see out there and prep for incoming problems.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Id look at a variable in the 1-4 or 1-6x so you can have a true 1x on the low end as well. There are a lot of great optics out there. Just got with one that has the zoom and reticle you prefer.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
If we paid you every time you answered this question you could have one heck of an ammo stockpile....lots of these threads as of late & your input is appreciated bud.

Id look at a variable in the 1-4 or 1-6x so you can have a true 1x on the low end as well. There are a lot of great optics out there. Just got with one that has the zoom and reticle you prefer.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
If we paid you every time you answered this question you could have one heck of an ammo stockpile....lots of these threads as of late & your input is appreciated bud.
Shoot, I wish someone could tell ME what the perfect scope for MY 17 is. :-D Ive had mine for almost 3 years now and still cant make a FINAL optic decision.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Shoot, I wish someone could tell ME what the perfect scope for MY 17 is. :-D Ive had mine for almost 3 years now and still cant make a FINAL optic decision.
Your mk4 is just perfect for me... Best sloppy seconds ever!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been thinking about this too. I've thought about the Primary Arms 1-6x mainly for its reticle and price. The reticle seems really easy to use as you just line up the hash mark the to the targets torso and has a built in range finder thing. But quality may be lacking since it is such a low price at $250. I was also recommended the Vortex HD Gen 2 1-6x which is about the same price as the USO SR-6 you mentioned. Heard and read a lot of great things out there and even Jerry Miculek uses it. Then there is the top of the line Z6i which is probably the best out there but it costs about $2.5k.

If you really want speed then I'd say the Aimpoint Micro. Its really small, light, and battery lasts a long time. I'm not a fan of the eotech though. I have one and shooting around the 100yd range or more gets pretty tough and the reticle gets too busy for me which is why I'm looking for a 1-6x. Also with the flip to side magnifiers, I'd say to try them out becuase it may not be for everyone. I tried it and it just wasn't for me. It adds weight and flipped to the side it blocks my right peripheral vision. This is just my opinoin. In the end you just got to try what ever you choose out and see if it works for you.
I was also looking into into the Vortex HD I have never got a chance to test one out and check out the glass but I have heard good reviews. The Aimpoint would be sweet on an angled mount for quick shots, I have used some micro angled red dots on AR platforms never on a SCAR platform but it should be much different once you get a feel for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not sure what over the top expensive, weight criteria or your ability as a 3 gun shooter is? But for your desired purpose +/- and max 300-400 yard distance. The Elcan SpecterDR 1.5-6x optic would seem like a suitable candidate, especially for those ninja aliens! :th_thumbsup:
That Elcan Spector DR is sweet I hair out of my price range but very very nice if I had the funds, have to watch out for those ninja aliens. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not have the best of both worlds, something of 16x to reach clearly out to 400 yards without guessing on bullet drop etc(meaning with 4x can you really see target out there), and a canted iron for close issues. Plus if SHTF and you have the scope on you wont need to switch to bonoc's to see out there and prep for incoming problems.
Trust me Sniper I have been back and forth on what magnification and almost bought a NF 2.5-10 last night at this point I would love to reach out but need something compact and something I can use for the roles and I would it for. I know there is never one optic for all jobs I am just trying to figure out a medium which is a pain in the ass, hate to spend good cash and then kick my self for not getting what I need and not what I want.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking for a true x1 :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Trijicon ACOG has my vote. Best all around combat optic on the market. Enough glass for 200-400m area, but not so much that you can't use it effectively at close range. No batteries, but still can be used effectively at night.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you go to youtube and check out a video for Combat Rifle Scope titled CRS rapid fire demo......you'll see footage recorded THROUGH THE SCOPE while shooting 8 inch balloons....and there are a few in depth tutorials by Ed Verdugo explaining the reasoning behind this scope. I bought one for my 17 and have been very happy with it.....it's a 1x6....high quality piece.... Combat Rifle Scope .... best I can say is that it was designed for quick aquisition and that is precisely what it does for me.... I had footage on my fb page of me doing the same "balloon killing drill" but I wouldn't know how to put it on here. Check it out at the very least, might not be for everybody but love mine....it isn't Elcan or Trijicon expensive but it is 1,200.00......worth it to this shooter.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts