FN Herstal Firearms banner

Ideal SHTF SCAR 17

31K views 132 replies 43 participants last post by  SR1911 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,

I have been back and forth on what direction I should set up my SCAR 17 for ,I have decided to make it my primary SHTF arm. SBR 13" with a suppressor, I live in a urban environment and do not see my self going past 300-400 yards at MAX that includes paper punching and hog hunting, and possibly some 3 gun comp.

Question is what scope would you guys recommend I feel I would not need anything past x6. I was looking at a USO SR-6. Any nice not over the top expensive scopes you guys have field tested and recommend. I was about to pull the trigger on a NF 2.5-10 yesterday that's to much scope giving I am going to go SBR. Main use would be again paper punching, hog hunting, 3 gun and overwatch in a SHTF scenario people, zombies, mutant ninja aliens whatever.

Main concerns.

Quality
Durability
Weight

Thanks in advance.
SR.

#2 · (Edited)
If it was me, for a SHTF rifle I'd prefer an unmagnified optic without parallax concerns, like an AimPoint or EOTech. My main reasoning there is that in a SHTF scenario I'm more likely to be shooting <100 yards and what I really want is speed, speed and more speed. Just my $0.02.

I just put a 2 MOA Aimpoint CompML3 with an Aimpoint 3X magnifier on a flip-to-side mount on my SCAR 17S and while I haven't worked with it much yet, I think I'm going to like this combination.

#4 ·
I've been thinking about this too. I've thought about the Primary Arms 1-6x mainly for its reticle and price. The reticle seems really easy to use as you just line up the hash mark the to the targets torso and has a built in range finder thing. But quality may be lacking since it is such a low price at $250. I was also recommended the Vortex HD Gen 2 1-6x which is about the same price as the USO SR-6 you mentioned. Heard and read a lot of great things out there and even Jerry Miculek uses it. Then there is the top of the line Z6i which is probably the best out there but it costs about $2.5k.

If you really want speed then I'd say the Aimpoint Micro. Its really small, light, and battery lasts a long time. I'm not a fan of the eotech though. I have one and shooting around the 100yd range or more gets pretty tough and the reticle gets too busy for me which is why I'm looking for a 1-6x. Also with the flip to side magnifiers, I'd say to try them out becuase it may not be for everyone. I tried it and it just wasn't for me. It adds weight and flipped to the side it blocks my right peripheral vision. This is just my opinoin. In the end you just got to try what ever you choose out and see if it works for you.

#11 ·
I was also looking into into the Vortex HD I have never got a chance to test one out and check out the glass but I have heard good reviews. The Aimpoint would be sweet on an angled mount for quick shots, I have used some micro angled red dots on AR platforms never on a SCAR platform but it should be much different once you get a feel for it. Thanks!

#5 ·
Im not sure what over the top expensive, weight criteria or your ability as a 3 gun shooter is? But for your desired purpose +/- and max 300-400 yard distance. The Elcan SpecterDR 1.5-6x optic would seem like a suitable candidate, especially for those ninja aliens! :th_thumbsup:

#6 ·
Why not have the best of both worlds, something of 16x to reach clearly out to 400 yards without guessing on bullet drop etc(meaning with 4x can you really see target out there), and a canted iron for close issues. Plus if SHTF and you have the scope on you wont need to switch to bonoc's to see out there and prep for incoming problems.

#13 ·
Trust me Sniper I have been back and forth on what magnification and almost bought a NF 2.5-10 last night at this point I would love to reach out but need something compact and something I can use for the roles and I would it for. I know there is never one optic for all jobs I am just trying to figure out a medium which is a pain in the ass, hate to spend good cash and then kick my self for not getting what I need and not what I want.

#7 ·
Id look at a variable in the 1-4 or 1-6x so you can have a true 1x on the low end as well. There are a lot of great optics out there. Just got with one that has the zoom and reticle you prefer.

#16 ·
Trijicon ACOG has my vote. Best all around combat optic on the market. Enough glass for 200-400m area, but not so much that you can't use it effectively at close range. No batteries, but still can be used effectively at night.

#17 ·
#18 ·
If you go to youtube and check out a video for Combat Rifle Scope titled CRS rapid fire demo......you'll see footage recorded THROUGH THE SCOPE while shooting 8 inch balloons....and there are a few in depth tutorials by Ed Verdugo explaining the reasoning behind this scope. I bought one for my 17 and have been very happy with it.....it's a 1x6....high quality piece.... Combat Rifle Scope .... best I can say is that it was designed for quick aquisition and that is precisely what it does for me.... I had footage on my fb page of me doing the same "balloon killing drill" but I wouldn't know how to put it on here. Check it out at the very least, might not be for everybody but love mine....it isn't Elcan or Trijicon expensive but it is 1,200.00......worth it to this shooter.

#21 ·
I would suggest a BROWE 4x32 optic with .308 BDC. You can use it as a Red Dot (just keep both eyes open) or as a 4 power scope.

Reactions: SR1911
#27 ·
:xOne of my favorite builds for the S.H.T.F. scenario is a TRIG. ACOG TA31RCO 4X32, with a TRIG. RM01 kicked out two the side at the 1-O clock position. I feel the 45 offset is to much. Both are proven optics and the 4x will give you the distance you will probably be operating at and the RMR is very fast to transition to, I love it for medium to in your face close range. Of course still running GG&G BUIS, but the Acog has to go to run B.U.I.S. hence the RMR . This set-up lets you to engage from 3 or 4 hundred yds. to Zombie chewin on yer leg just by canting the rifle a bit. I think this system really lets you run it fast . As far as the Elcan, I have not had the chance to run one yet. But I'm sure I will, due to all the hype about them, looking forward to it . Now that your full of everybody's idea, go with yer gut, what do YOU want ?

#37 ·
I would take a close look at the Vortex Razr Gen 2 1-6x24. It has excellent durability, incredible glass quality, and now has 3 reticle options. It also has one of the most forgiving eye boxes in the 1-6 range due to the oversized eye piece. At 1X power it also has a 115ft field of view at 100 yards.

The Elcan 1-4x has a 120 foot field of view at 100 yards (24 degrees), but of course only has 4X max magnificaiton on top. The Elcan 1.5-6x only has a 84 foot field of view at 100 yards (16 degrees).

So when comparing FOV performance to the Elcan, which is a great optic, you can see how much flexibility you can get on both low and high power with a high quality 1-6x scope like that Razr.

#41 ·
I am going to look into the Razr 1-6 I do feel I need some flexibility, a little short and a little long. So many great optics out there it makes it a bit of challenge to get exactly what your really looking for. A lot of members have made some really good recommendations I was set at one point with a hand full but it looks like I need to forget about the cash that is burning a hole in my pocket for a optic and choice wisely. Most will serve my purpose but getting the exact one is the trick. Thanks

#39 ·
One direction to look at-- vortex razor. The elcan is great and nuke proof but it is heavy. The acog doesn't have variable mag, and is tritium dependent(will go dark) and is 2/3 of price elcan. Razor is 1/2 price has variable mag, no question asked replace warranty and has a bdc built in as well as can be set up befor 5.56 or 7.62 as well as functions like a red dot too.

#43 ·
Been there! I bought a NF 2.5-10x42, and love it on the SCAR. I am using the 16" but based on the load development I've been doing, even with the barrel at 13", you will easily be able to shoot beyond 400yds. Get the NF and add some offset iron sights (or Aimpoint/etc). I'm looking around now to add these to my SCAR, but after having run an ACOG (TA11E) I think you will be disappointed when you find out just how far your 13" SCAR is capable of shooting. With the NF + offset irons/optics, you should be able to have the best of both worlds. Let me know if you find some offset mounts you like, I haven't spent much time researching them yet but they are on my short list. I love my scope, as the magnification range is a match made in heaven for the SCAR.

#47 ·
Ormandj the NF 2.5-10x32 was one of my first choices I would agree that with a offset iron or optic for quick shots it would make a great combo but you don't feel barrel length vs magnification in the same caliber should have some sort of relation? I do like the idea but for some reason I have stuck in my head I need a lower magnification on a short barrel given velocity loss.

So many good ideas only one scope to pick, I haven't looked into offset mounts that much lately but if I went 45 degree I would go GG&G I like the one piece construction if 1-O clock Daniel Defense there are solid and light at 1.2oz.

Attachments

#44 · (Edited)
Been there! I bought a NF 2.5-10x42, and love it on the SCAR. I am using the 16" but based on the load development I've been doing, even with the barrel at 13", you will easily be able to shoot beyond 400yds. Get the NF and add some offset iron sights (or Aimpoint/etc). I'm looking around now to add these to my SCAR, but after having run an ACOG (TA11E) I think you will be disappointed when you find out just how far your 13" SCAR is capable of shooting. With the NF + offset irons/optics, you should be able to have the best of both worlds. Let me know if you find some offset mounts you like, I haven't spent much time researching them yet but they are on my short list. I love my scope, as the magnification range is a match made in heaven for the SCAR.
Agree with the above. These rifles are fully capable of shooting tight out there well beyond what most folks will task them to do. In another thread, I noticed that Ormandj posted his load data. Interestingly enough, it's a near duplicate of what I have come up with. He is correct in saying that once you put some glass on top of the 17 capable of stretching it's legs, you likely will not turn back. On a side note, I have watched what folks can do with the 13 inch barrel. It is not even breathing hard at 600 yards.

You may have seen this as it's pretty popular at this point, but food for thought: Here is a 17 with a NF 2.5-10 on it. 800 yards. The combination is very hard to beat. I have a 30mm American Defense Delta Mount with my 2.5-10. Thing is a tank and does not move, ever. Stryker here on the forum tends to carry them frequently.

#45 ·
I debated this considerably after getting my 17. I decided on an accupoint 1-4 with a larue QD mount. After talking to a friend I realized I don't live in Montana and won't likely be taking long range shots considering my urban environment. I wanted that Swarovski z6i but it wasn't in the cards right after buying the gun.

I've only been to the range to sight it in and can say I'm pleased so far. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow so hopefully will be able to mix it up a little. A guy I'm shooting with tomorrow put a red dot on his for similar reasons; urban, etc.

#46 ·
I have also pretty well decided on getting one of the new NF 2.5-10x42 scopes with the MOAR reticle for my 17. Having 20/40 corrected vision in my right eye, I want/need the 10x for smaller targets or for the longer 500-600 yds shots. If I had 20/20 or better vision I might consider the 1-6x Kahles, Z6i, Elcan, or Razr. It seems that about all of the high end 1-8 or 1-10x scopes out there have overly tight eye boxes on the top end, and thats a deal breaker for me. After watching the movie Lone Survivor, I think I would prefer using 5.56 carbine with a RDS or a 1-4x out to about 200 yds. I appreciate the extra power, range, etc. of the .308 caliber, but not the muzzle blast, increased recoil or if everyone around me is using 5.56 ammo (think ammo re-supply). For me the 17s comes into its own from 200-500yds and occasionally out to 600yds or more in a Recce type role. I will be using off set irons or a Micro for back-up sights and targets within 50-75yds. To me, choosing what magnification to get just comes down to the distance it will be used at the most.

#51 · (Edited)
My eyes are not the sharpest anymore 12 years of welding has played a little toll on them. I am just going to check out all the scopes everybody has recommended and pick up or at least get a order in something this week, so it doesn't consume me for to much longer. I am leaning towards 2-3 at this point.

Haven't watched Lone Survivor yet, but regarding 5.56 vs .308 would be like having a debate on 9mm vs .45 it can go on for infinity. Special forces have had to many cases of have people being jacked up and having to put multiple rounds in enemies with 5.56, where 7.62 has overwhelming stopping power. I don't mind carrying a few extra pounds and less ammo for the .308 heavy hitting and material punching power.

Pic of Rangers SBR Mk17

Attachments

#56 ·
I wouldn't say the 9mm vs 45 argument holds much water either way but .556 vs .308 the advantages of .308 are very clear in my view. Not starting a argument so let's not derail this thread haha

Sr1911- the variable power optic is the only way to go in my book. I have a mk4 2.5-8 x36mm on my 17s that I bought from a member. I would've probably gone nightforce 2.5-10 eventually but I like good deals. ;)
The ability to identify threats or have some over watch capability through the scope is something to look at. A 4x acog is going to limit that ability. Through years of hunting I've learned that binoculars are great to watch and identify targets but when low-light arrives and the deer (target) is only going to show it self briefly it's nice to be tucked up against your rifle ready to fire for when that moment happens. That additional 4-6x power will prevent you from killing the wrong deer or harmless women/child who is carrying something that looks like a rifle. .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.