FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a FNP-40 USG....it was test fired in December 2007. After searching this site for a while I figured it would be best to post pics and get some responses.

My question is this----Does the FCG housing in my FNP USG look like the older style which will most likely need to be replaced OR the newer, problem free version? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
On the top of the FCG in that pic, there would be a little notch if it was a bad one. I don't know why the notch was ever there, as it seems absolutely pointless to me-or at least you don't gain anything by having it there to my knowledge.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I will try to post a pic of my own FCG, but the mention of the "Notch" in this and another thread has me curious. B52U, could you post a picture of your FCG so that I can compare them? My FNP-40 was test fired 6/07, so I would like to know what I have. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
229 Posts

The FNP9 on left does not have the "notch"(newer style FC housing). The FNP9M on rt has the notch on left-inside of FCH, just below left rail. It has over 2000rds thru it with no problems. The one I had break and from pictures of others that broke, the notch was wider than the one above.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yep, mine is exactly like forestranger's FNP on the right. Has a notch, but it is pretty small compared with the bad FCG housings that had a longer notch. No signs of any problem after ~900 rounds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
OK, this gets a little confusing. Look at the left side of the right frame. Now follow the inner side of the fire control group casting (that is the right side of the left side of the casting). Draw a line horizontally across the bottom of the frame rails it will go through it. There is a little notch. Looks like 1 mm or less deep and about 5mm long.

I had to boost the brightness and zoom in on the image to find it the first time.

My FNP40 is the no notch kind.

edit- all directions are as viewed not as held.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's the one. Here's the photo with the notch circled. If you search the old threads about the cracking problem you'll see this notch is longer and deeper on the defective housings.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for all of the photos and clarification guys. I too was not quite sure where to look in the FCG. I am going to check my FNP-40 tonight! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts