FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first SCAR, a NIB 16s, should arrive tomorrow (D-Day, how appropriate). In the meantime, seems to me it might be smart to mine the experience & knowledge this forum represents. The thread title kind of says it all. Eisenhower was president when I was born and I'm not new to firearms, but I am new to AR-style weapons and am very curious about this latest evolution of combat rifle.

What I'm hoping to prompt here are the sharing of tips, tricks, and experiences to make the first few days I have the rifle positive ones and to reduce any frustrations that might otherwise crop up. Think back to your first days with your first SCAR and recall the things you know now that you wish you'd known then and then please share them!

I am a lifetime member of the read-the-directions club, so I will actually read the owners manual to the thing before running out to the range. In addition to that, what can any of you offer in the way of advice that will help me avoid mistakes and/or put me in a better position to maximize my learning curve with my eagerly awaited prize? (For instance - had I not stumbled across a comment online, I'd have been *REALLY* put-out by the fact I'd have had no proper way to adjust the front iron sight elevation when the rifle first arrives since I didn't have a suitable tool and didn't think to check if it came with one.)

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Get the optic, sling and other add ons you really want. Dont compromise.
- Check out Blue Force Gear Slings
- PMM QD sling mounts
- Pistol grip and foregrip of choice
- And most importantly, dont skimp on the optic. Get exactly what you want the first time around :)

In regards to running the gun...
- Make sure the gas regulator is in the correct position when firing suppressed or unsuppressed
- Sight in your rifle using the front for adjustments
- Keep your finger away from the charging handle when firing
- Buy as much ammo as you can and run it hard.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Get the optic, sling and other add ons you really want. Dont compromise.
- Check out Blue Force Gear Slings
- PMM QD sling mounts
- Pistol grip and foregrip of choice
- And most importantly, dont skimp on the optic. Get exactly what you want the first time around :)

In regards to running the gun...
- Make sure the gas regulator is in the correct position when firing suppressed or unsuppressed
- Sight in your rifle using the front for adjustments
- Keep your finger away from the charging handle when firing
- Buy as much ammo as you can and run it hard.
Couldn't have said it better myself. One more thing though. Don't baby it! Its a battle rifle. Treat it as such. I know its expensive but hanging it on the wall and staring at it would be a crime. These things were built to be run like scalded monkeys in heat. Most of all... Enjoy it! If you can shoot it without smiling there's an issue :-D

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why, pray tell?
The muzzle brake, while very effective at mitigating felt recoil, will increase the noise and flash. I enjoy shooting in low light when I get the chance, and I found that the increased flash affected my night vision far more than it was when I put a simple A2 FS on it. As far as the noise, it is annoying when shooting outside, but it was bad enough that I had to double up on ear protection when I shot at an indoor range. The .223 is not a round known to be high in recoil, so I don't see where the benefit outweighs the negatives. If you have ANY inclination of possibly grabbing your SCAR for home defense, both the flash and the noise likely would be detrimental to your health.

However, if you plan on shooting 3-gun with your SCAR, then the muzzle brake is almost mandatory if you want to stay competitive in the field, particularly if you shoot in the open or tactical divisions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're the same age as me. You'll surely use optics. You'll need an angled charging handle.
The SCAR is much less fun without a good trigger (like the SuperSCAR Geissele trigger).
Get the optic it deserves (something telescopic, and of high quality).
SuperSniper sling...

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
The muzzle brake, while very effective at mitigating felt recoil, will increase the noise and flash. I enjoy shooting in low light when I get the chance, and I found that the increased flash affected my night vision far more than it was when I put a simple A2 FS on it. As far as the noise, it is annoying when shooting outside, but it was bad enough that I had to double up on ear protection when I shot at an indoor range. The .223 is not a round known to be high in recoil, so I don't see where the benefit outweighs the negatives. If you have ANY inclination of possibly grabbing your SCAR for home defense, both the flash and the noise likely would be detrimental to your health.

However, if you plan on shooting 3-gun with your SCAR, then the muzzle brake is almost mandatory if you want to stay competitive in the field, particularly if you shoot in the open or tactical divisions.

Reactions: stumblebum
1 - 13 of 13 Posts