Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your State's stuff here :?

·
Banned
17 Posts
I hate this state

Was transferred from VA to lovely Rock Island and I thought I found a really good deal on a house then I went to a local gun shop and was shocked at this places laws. Why didn't I check out Iowa :p

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: I hate this state

jtfuoco said:
Was transferred from VA to lovely Rock Island and I thought I found a really good deal on a house then I went to a local gun shop and was shocked at this places laws. Why didn't I check out Iowa :p
LOL its right across the river! It's not too late! Welcome to crooked Illinois though

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lookin to buy an AK

so im lookin to buy a standard AK47. The internet has kinda scared me from ordering one up to this point bc of talk of sight/barrel problems and others that need to be gunsmithed before firing. is this a major concern? are most problems easy/cheap fixes? more importantly is there any place close enough to chicago that has some in store. Ima big fan of inspect before you buy.. pictures just dont do it for me. thanks

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check you local laws first, as Chi-town isn't ak(or most other cool gun) friendly.

Maybe somebody from that neck of the woods will chime in and set us all striangt(SGT you out there?). :?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i live outside the city limits... owing an AK is perfectly legal where i am at but i dont really want to order one online and simply have it shipped to some FFL. so im looking for a store close enough to me that has something in stock for me to check out if anyone knows of something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
listen.. you can own an AK in illinois. You can own virtually any gun in illinois if you live outside of Chicagos limits. obviously im not lookin for a full auto pre ban AK. once again.. any one know of a store in Northern/Western IL have and CAI, Arsenal or something like that in stock or is gunbroker my best option?

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might want to try a gun show. Here is a list of shows in your state, sorry but I am not familiar with your area so I have no idea if any are close to you :?

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/illinois.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks MP.. Crystal Lake is relatively close so il check that one out.. Do u know anything about the ECA shows? they are kinda far from me but close enough to go if theyre worth it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gat guns is where I bought my scar 17s. You can see lots of stuff there. There are tons of places in Chicago suburbs to buy stuff. Just do a google search.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks fellas.. im going to head to elgin and check out GAT and SemperFiSupply when i get a chance.. semper's web site says they carry a few CIA aks and some Saiga converts.. prices arent great their either but thats standard illinois.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well, i made it out to Elgin last night.. First off, Gat guns seemed pretty legit. They had about every pistol i could think of. my buddy bought a Glock 21 SF for 600. They had countless ARs and plenty of accessories. Got to hold a SCAR 17 for the first time, which was awesome. They also had a few AKs for me to look at. the WASR-10 and the IO AK47c were what i was lookin for to began with. they were the same price at 539.99. I bought the IO, it was all black with black plastic dressing, the stock is dragonov style. I like the look of the AK as is but still might get some wood furniture. Ive read good and horrible things on IO but the reviews were the same as every other low end AK. Gat offers a lifetime warranty for 5% of the gun. mine was $27. I hope to get out and shoot it soon so i'l report back but as far as the gun store is concerned. GAT guns was impressive, the guy who sold me the gun knew what he was talkin about and it was a smooth and easy process.

·
Registered
17 Posts
not that anyone asked but.. the exact rifle i bought was an ISD Bulgarian SRS 85C imported by Inter Ordinance. cash price was 539.99. It has a chrome barrel and the bolt and bolt carrier are also chromed, which is why i picked it over the century WASR-10(which was the same price). I put 100 rounds through it today and it cycled with no problems. It seems pretty accurate but i was shooting indoors at a max distance of 25 yards so that is a test for another day. The front sight post seems to be a little off, its not drastic but its noticeable and if i cant fix it myself it is something that will bother me till i get it fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For those looking to buy firearms in IL., you can also look at Mega Sports in Planefield. They have a selection comparable to going to a nice gun show. Pretty much every type of cool gun. Lots of stuff you've never heard of. Really nice please to go try a pistol before purchase. Decent prices too. If you want to buy something from online and you need someone with a ffl you can go to Gander Mountain.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For those looking to buy firearms in IL., you can also look at Mega Sports in Planefield. They have a selection comparable to going to a nice gun show. Pretty much every type of cool gun. Lots of stuff you've never heard of. Really nice please to go try a pistol before purchase. Decent prices too. If you want to buy something from online and you need someone with a ffl you can go to Gander Mountain.
I will never buy anything from Mega Sports ever again. When I was in the market for my Scar 16s they wanted $200 more than I was offered somewhere else. Tried to get them to come down and they would not budge .01, not even with a cash purchase.

Not to mention the staff there all seem to be on a power trip because they have a gun on their hip. There are only 2 staff members I can say are worth dealing with. I go there to find out what I like and what I want, then go somewhere else to either buy or order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just picked up my SLP Mk1 from Semper supply he is a nice guy and will do a lot to match pricing. It's a small operation so sometimes you might wait a day or two to hear back from him, but he does know his stuff. If I were looking for an AK or a Saiga shotgun I'd for sure check them out, as that seems to be their specialty.

Before learning about Semper I bought my AR from GAT. They had a good price on the one I bought, some other things not so much. They did screw up my paperwork so i made a 60 mile round trip drive to pick up my rifle and got there to find out they neglected to call in the background check. They then lied to me and said they got a "wait" on my application. When I went back the next day the guy that helped me remembered me being there the day before and said it was BS and wound up giving me a free P-mag.

On a side note, I really want to get into shooting 3gun, if any of you know of local clubs that run 3gun matches post them in here. I'm having a hard time finding anything close.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts