FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first of all I got the name grumpy for a reason. I know that FN has a reputation for building quality firearms and I suppose that's why I kept sinking more money and time into my 5.7. To make a long story short, I got a "lemon" which can happen. My gun came with a 9# trigger and shot horribly but I was so happy to get it That I polished up all the moving parts and kept hoping it would get better. It didn't! I eventually got the trigger down to 5.5# which I could live with but one day after coming home from the range I took the slide off and removed the barrel to clean it and the retaining ring flew off the end and I was unable to find it. FN's response to me was "those things don't just fly off" but mine did! They told me not to bother sending the gun in for warranty because they didn't have the parts and hung up on me. Most recently I found a hairline crack in the frame. I sent the gun into FN and their response was that I had altered the gun by moving the magazine disconnect. I DID do that but it had no bearing on the crack which happened between the trigger housing and where the barrel lug sits. I've tried calling to talk to someone and all I get is that the responsible person will call me back which hasn't happened. I'm not looking for a free gun but anyone in business can tell you that's NOT the way treat customers!
Anyone looking for 5.7 parts can pm me, I've got some extras that I bought during one of rare times I could find them as well as a few other items.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope everyone has good luck with their equipment (better than mine), I'm going back to steel, it's heavier but less likely to blow my hand off! Rock Island arms now has the 22TCM which will directly compete with the 5.7.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hope everyone has good luck with their equipment (better than mine), I'm going back to steel, it's heavier but less likely to blow my hand off! Rock Island arms now has the 22TCM which will directly compete with the 5.7.
Do you have a pic of the crack in the frame? do you have any idea how or when it was caused? I assume it wasn't there when you bought the gun, unless you didn't see it.
The Rock Island arms 22tcm is almost 2x the weight of the five-seven, and the ammo is as bulky as 9mm - unless you are just talking ballistics they aren't comparable firearms.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right, I was talking ballistics. The TCM also is two guns for approx. $725 if you buy the TAC combo that comes with a 9mm barrel as well. That's two steel guns for a little better than 1/2 the price of the FN but the trade off is weight. I've been carrying a 1911 for years so I guess I'm used to it. I got a pm from someone with a 509 that has the same problem

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
From what I've read and seen on you tube the TCM is very comparable balistically to the 5.7 and just because it has a shorter case doesn't mean it can't fire projectiles like the V-max. In fact there's already loads worked up for that bullet,the Varmageddons, Nosler BTs, Hornaday NTX, and Speer TNTs.. Not that it matters but there's also both a wood stocked and a tactical bolt action rifle out for the round that fires factory ammo about 2800 FPS. I'm sure it won't be long before guys like Jay at Elite start coming out with some kind of crazy rounds for the gun. Reloaders can buy new cases from Armscor and bullets are plentiful and CHEAP!
As for penetration go to You Tube and watch the comparison, then tell me about the 5.7's superiority!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You are really limited on oal with the 1911 pistol as opposed to the 22 tcm rifle (1.265 I believe) so if you want to handload the longer bullets like the vmax 35 or 40 and have them fit the mags you need to seat them much deeper than the shell is designed for. It could work with a reduced load but not sure about accuracy or velocity.

You think that's a stress crack, possibly from shooting really hot ammo? or maybe a manufacturing defect that got worse over time? I don't think I'd feel comfortable shooting the gun, don't blaim you for giving up on shooting it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have never seen a MK2 crack like that. Older version had a weaker rail and could not handle much of a load.

The MKII has a much greater re enforced rail support in the frame.

When you had issues with the snap coming off did you have to force the slide on or off the frame?

Magazine Safety, just an fyi I have now seen first hand a few times where FNH, when they see the magazine eject spring bent out of place in an attempt to improve the trigger, have declined to warranty. If you are going to send your pistol in put the damn spring back in place and keep your mouth shut about touching anything inside the gun.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"If you are going to send your pistol in put the damn spring back in place and keep your mouth shut about touching anything inside the gun."

Common sense, it should never have been brought up.
The spring WAS put back in place. they claim that the end was bent so they could tell that I messed with it. That was THEIR explanation as to why they weren't going to honor the warranty!!!! they sent me pictures and some of where I polished the sear and feed ramp, I guess that's not allowed either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have never seen a MK2 crack like that. Older version had a weaker rail and could not handle much of a load.

The MKII has a much greater re enforced rail support in the frame.

When you had issues with the snap coming off did you have to force the slide on or off the frame?

Magazine Safety, just an fyi I have now seen first hand a few times where FNH, when they see the magazine eject spring bent out of place in an attempt to improve the trigger, have declined to warranty. If you are going to send your pistol in put the damn spring back in place and keep your mouth shut about touching anything inside the gun.
The slide worked fine until I ran about 20 rounds through and it seemed to be getting tight. I stopped because I was at a private range that doesn't allow you to work on your firearm in the building for safety reasons. I packed up and went home and the slide was better when I went to clean and inspect that's when I found the crack which looks worse since I got the gun back from FN.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Having dealt with ****ing attorneys many times over the years going to them is never my fist thought, but in this case it might be a good idea. Do you know one? I know it can get silly since your basic fee to have one write a letter will be about half what the gun cost but it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The spring WAS put back in place. they claim that the end was bent so they could tell that I messed with it. That was THEIR explanation as to why they weren't going to honor the warranty!!!! they sent me pictures and some of where I polished the sear and feed ramp, I guess that's not allowed either.
That's messed up, considering those things obviously would have nothing to do with cracking the frame. I didn't realize you sent them the gun and they refused to work on it on those grounds - I agree this is abysmal customer service.
Did you buy the gun new or used?

·
Registered
252 Posts
From what I've read and seen on you tube the TCM is very comparable balistically to the 5.7 and just because it has a shorter case doesn't mean it can't fire projectiles like the V-max. In fact there's already loads worked up for that bullet,the Varmageddons, Nosler BTs, Hornaday NTX, and Speer TNTs.. Not that it matters but there's also both a wood stocked and a tactical bolt action rifle out for the round that fires factory ammo about 2800 FPS. I'm sure it won't be long before guys like Jay at Elite start coming out with some kind of crazy rounds for the gun. Reloaders can buy new cases from Armscor and bullets are plentiful and CHEAP!
As for penetration go to You Tube and watch the comparison, then tell me about the 5.7's superiority!
I love mine, no problems here, I'll keep mine stock.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Grumpy.... I would reach out to the member above " JWolf " and would PM him and asking for his contact info... and talk it out ( regarding your options ). Maybe there is some value in parting the weapon out . Recouping some money and moving forward. Or some other avenue... In my opinion he would be one of the most knowledgeable and may have some suggestions .
I have never had any luck with lawyers.... every time I'm involved with one there seems to be a huge cost that lightens my wallet. Just to keep one on retainer is even financially catastrophic. I'm just one of those midwest " rust belt " deplorables.... that the left seems to hate on... but when my attorney on retainer charges me $86 for an email that is 2 sentences long.... it's become quickly apparent ( to me ) at that rate I will become one of America's disenfranchised rather quickly.

I don't have enough experience to be of any help with this platform however would find it hard myself to give up on the FsN...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.