FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really torn between the smaller light weight of the low power (1-4) utility scopes and high magnifaction precision scopes.
Im really a bench rest shooter 36x is the low power scope on the 6ppc(first love was always miltary style rifles though )my range is 100-200 yds. Paper targes and a 100 and 200yd gong (12+in)
Part of the Beauty of the scar is the light weight and how it handles. Big heavy scopes ruin that.
Im rambeling i guiess only I can answer whats right for me.
Any how ......
How is the Parlax error with 1 to 4x (or even up to 10x)scopes ? since most have no adjustment for it and its critical with high power scopes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
lower power the optic and the closer the range the less the parallax matters. 1-4 and 2.5-10 you really dont need a parallax adjustment. i use a trijicon tr24g and nightforce nxs 2.5-10x32. i highly recomend either for your purposes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That is the problem with the 17s. The .308 wants magnification and the weight says keep it clean.

I don't care for most of the 1-4 optics (Spectre excluded) they end up weighing more than you want and give you no real magnification. I went with a 2-5-10x Vortex but it is heavy. The 16s has an Aimpoint.

I think the best option is really 2.
1 Higher mag scope for distance/ target shooting
2 Aimpoint for up close
QD mounts and dress for the party you are going to.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have a 6-18 vortex on mine right now. I've been shooting at 500 meters and 600 yards lately. Tough to get a good offhand hold without a sling with this baby, but I'm getting better!

If your range is only 100-200 yards I wouldn't get an optic. Go for a red dot holographic and have at'er! Or stick with the open sights.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like the 1x of the Spectre vs the 1x of other tube style variable scopes. I always seem to be hunting for the reticule for a second on tube 1x scopes vs a red dot.
The magnification isn't better at 4x, although the glass is excellent and there is lots of detail. It's that like it better at 1x.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an ACOG 3.5 x 35 and could not be happier. Shooting 1 inch groups at 100 yds no problem. Also, tried a mag dump at 100 yds and it seems like the right mag to get back on target quickly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an ACOG 3.5 x 35 and could not be happier. Shooting 1 inch groups at 100 yds no problem.
I have the same optic with the same results. The ACOG is parallax free along the vertical axis of the reticle and the weight is negligible.

·
Registered
841 Posts
+1 on the ACOG.

I run the TA11E-G on my SCAR17s and I think the 3.5x ACOG models are hands down the best optic for the SCAR, all factors considered. Factors such as weight, eye relief, optic clarity, low-light use, durability, and even price, the ACOG comes out a winner to me, and especially the 3.5x models (which have the best eye relief, which I think is important for the 17S).

The 3.5x ACOG equipped 17S has no problem shooting steel out to 500-600 yards.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA11E-G

·
Registered
209 Posts
For me everything is purpose driven. My 16 has a primary purpose of getting of quick multiple shots on multiple targets at CQB distances with a secondary purpose of engaging out to 100 yards or so. I know the 4x ACOG I have mounted on it gives me the ability to go out to 500 yards but the 16 isn't the best choice for that job.

My 17 though has almost the exact opposite purpose. It was setup to engage targets out past 100 yards and to do so effectively and with consistency with a secondary purpose of still being effective close. For this job I went with a 2.5-10 magnification to be able see get a more precise point of aim at longer distances combined with a 44mm objective to get a good FOV when set to 2.5X. So Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44mm

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 is a good one also, around the 800 price range and has parallax adjustment.
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new 17, I think you will love this war hammer ! As Big Muddy stated, I think this is a good choice, it's what I run on my 17 and very happy with it. IMO, I think the 17 commands a little magnification to optimize its ability.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new 17, I think you will love this war hammer ! As Big Muddy stated, I think this is a good choice, it's what I run on my 17 and very happy with it. IMO, I think the 17 commands a little magnification to optimize its ability.
Ditto. Same setup here.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am saving for the vortex viper pst 2.5-10x32 because I will shoot at like 650 yards max and it is fully capable of that but when im shooting a good amount closer in the 2.5 will be great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My candidates are the Leupy Mk6 1-6x20 or Elcan SDR 1.5/6 (and waiting on the Super-Scar). I've only took it out once, and got .75-1.25MOA on iron sights, from 150gr Hornady FMJBT, Win-748 ball propellant, Win LRM primer, Win white box brass (my HK91 load).
If I may, what size groups are you getting at 500yds?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 17s is going to be purely for bench shooting at 200 yards. I'm new to scopes and would appreciate any recommendations!

I really would like a nice Leupold and bipod/foregrip setup. I really like the iron sights but the ultimate goal is to shoot accurately at 200 yards.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I like acogs for what they are. But they are not for bench shooting. I'm sure folks have gotten some excellent groups with them but that is not their purpose. For bench shooting I would certainly recomend more magnification. There are a pile of leupold/vortex/trijicon scopes out there that I would reccomend for that application. It all depends on what kind of magnification you're comfortable with.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
16 Posts
New SCAR 17s owner with the same dilemma. After a couple weeks of research I am leanings towards the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP. Would love a NF but it's out of my budget.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts