FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new FS2000 and have put about 1000rds through it. Like others, I tried running some Wolf through and it didn't like that. I didn't flip the gas port, just stopped trying the Wolf.

I wish the gun held the bolt after the last round, and wish the magazine would free-drop out. These make the end of a magazine into about a 5-step process instead of a two-step.

Anyone remove the well to allow the mag to drop free?

Most of my early "jams" weren't really jams. I learned to lock the bolt back prior to inserting a new mag.

·
Registered
142 Posts
HuecoDoc said:
I have a new FS2000 and have put about 1000rds through it. Like others, I tried running some Wolf through and it didn't like that. I didn't flip the gas port, just stopped trying the Wolf.

I wish the gun held the bolt after the last round, and wish the magazine would free-drop out. These make the end of a magazine into about a 5-step process instead of a two-step.

Anyone remove the well to allow the mag to drop free?

Most of my early "jams" weren't really jams. I learned to lock the bolt back prior to inserting a new mag.
There's a bolt-hold feature, but it's done by hand instead of it being done automatically. It's just a matter of training.

There's a reason why the mag doesn't drop free. The rubber gasket in the mag well prevents any dust and other foreign particles from entering the mag well and into the chamber.

Some people have removed the gasket and the mags dropped free. However, most of those who had done that have regretted doing that. Personally, I'd leave the mag well gasket alone. Again, like the manual bolt-hold open feature, magazine removal is another training issue. The F2000 and FS2000 were designed if you had to wear one of those clumsy NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) warfare suits. That's the reason for the location of the mag release and the why the mags don't drop free.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Bolt hold open is nice but several million AK and H&K users have been getting along just fine without it too.
I've found that just downloading the mags a round or two will solve the problem of having to open the action before inserting a mag. I've tried several different mags and none have been 100% when loaded to 30rds (including H&K mags).
I've read some advice from guys that have seen the Elephant that suggest it's a good idea to jank the mags out of any rifle including M-4's. Even guns that normally drop free can change to "need-to-yank" in dirt, dust and whatever so learn to do it all the time and it won't surprise you at the worst possible moment. I practice holding my hand in a "C" shape and shoving it up around the mag with the bottom third of my index finger hitting the release while the reset of the hand firmly grasps the mag and yanks it out. - I'll be doing about the same thing with my M-4...................................DJ

·
Banned
114 Posts
I removed the plastic dust shields and found for the most part there is no reason to. It only allows the mag to come out slightly farther than with them in on the initial mag release depression. Since the mag change process is more in depth than an AR you won't gain anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll get used to it. We should always know have many rounds have left, if we're paying attention. I just have trouble counting to 30. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
The bolt cannot hold open on the last shot because the bolt closing is necessary to push the empty case into the ejection tube.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I'm new here,but I was talking to the FN sales rep at the Texas office last week and asked him about the neoprene magazine gasket and he told me that both the bolt hold open on the last shot and the drop free mag feature were not engineered into the final product due to the training doctrine of the Europeans.
A lot of the Euros, particularly the English do not want a magazine operated bolt hold open, they feel this helps keep foreign debris out of the chamber and they all train to yank the mags out......I guess different srtokes for different folks.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
texfed said:
I'm new here,but I was talking to the FN sales rep at the Texas office last week and asked him about the neoprene magazine gasket and he told me that both the bolt hold open on the last shot and the drop free mag feature were not engineered into the final product due to the training doctrine of the Europeans.
A lot of the Euros, particularly the English do not want a magazine operated bolt hold open, they feel this helps keep foreign debris out of the chamber and they all train to yank the mags out......I guess different srtokes for different folks.
That is interesting...

·
Registered
57 Posts
texfed said:
You can't have a bolt hold open because the gun depends on the bolt closing to eject the case. If the bolt doesn't close it will not eject the last case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
bullpuppy said:
texfed said:
You can't have a bolt hold open because the gun depends on the bolt closing to eject the case. If the bolt doesn't close it will not eject the last case.
Why not? It would eject the last round after releasing the bolt catch. You can do it. Just put a round in the chamber pull the bolt back and manually lock it back. Switch out mags and release. You will both chamber a new round and expel the old one.

·
Registered
980 Posts
RojasTKD said:
Why not? It would eject the last round after releasing the bolt catch. You can do it. Just put a round in the chamber pull the bolt back and manually lock it back. Switch out mags and release. You will both chamber a new round and expel the old one.
That's true. Nothing about the design of the FS would conflict with bolt hold open. They took the rest of the hammer group strait out of the design of the AUGs, -to bad they omitted the bolt-hold mechanism.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i suspect that it was presumed safer to get rid of the empty brass asap. you dont want it floating around in your gun.

most military european guns dont have a BHO anyway, so it was never considered an issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SuA said:
i suspect that it was presumed safer to get rid of the empty brass asap. you dont want it floating around in your gun.

most military european guns dont have a BHO anyway, so it was never considered an issue.
I don't think there is no bold hold open because they wanted to rif of the brass ASAP, I think they get rid of the brass ASAP because there is no bolf hold open.

That just the way most European rifles are. It not wrong or right, it just is. It all boils down to knowing your weapon.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The first thing I did was remove the gasket.... and I'm glad I did it. I couldn't stand having to tug it out, it was annoying and very un-smooth. Now my magazines glide right in and drop free, even though I still grip the mag and hit the release at the same time anyway.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have one 40 round mag.. and it's quite a bit longer than the 30's..

The extra leverage really seems to make a difference. (And the higher capacity can't hurt.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The fact of the matter is this... it wasn't designed to have a bolt hold open, so it doesn't have that function. Either go back to an AR setup or learn the weapon system you are using!

The FS2000 was designed for combat, not "ohh lets count our double taps to 15". It was designed to be shot "dry" and then be reloaded.

The first thing that people get wrong about either the HK or the FS2000 is that you need to "lock it back" in order to reload the weapon. Why are you adding two steps to the reloading process?

1. CLICK
2. Drop magazine with left hand pushing thru the mag release and pull down on the magazine.
3. Throw away or retain magazine.
4. Insert new magazine.
5. Charge the rifle by retracting the charging handle.

There is simply no need to do the following process....
1. CLICK
2. Retract bolt and lock it into the rear position.
3. Drop magazine with left hand pusing thru the mag release and pul down on the magazine.
4. Throw away or retain magazine.
5. "HK" SLAP the rifle into charged position.

Either way, it's the same amount of steps, with the exception of locking it into the rear position, but if you just charge the rifle, you eliminate a lot of time in locknig the weapon back. Just shoot it dry and recharge. Cycle the bolt via the bolt handle and go to work.

Zhur

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used to rely on the drop free a lot until we spent 2 months with 10th Group befor this deployment. Even with the M4 I grab the empty mag and pull then insert a fresh one and go. Its only slower until you practice it. Now I can do a mag change and stow the empty just as fast as drop and go.

The reason for the positive controled reloads is so you have mags to put resupplied rounds into later in the engagement. THAT made total sense to me since we get ammo in stripper clips on resuply, not filled mags. It would really suck to have bullets and no mag.

As for the BHO, just train the same sequence over and over and soon, you will be recharging the rifle just as automaticly as you used to hit the release.

·
Registered
150 Posts
ehryk said:
I used to rely on the drop free a lot until we spent 2 months with 10th Group befor this deployment. Even with the M4 I grab the empty mag and pull then insert a fresh one and go. Its only slower until you practice it. Now I can do a mag change and stow the empty just as fast as drop and go.
i second that in fact in Basic Training i was taught to hold onto the mags when we depressed the mag release , in the words of the SF "if one of you trainees drops that mag i swear I'll pistol whip you then fail you " :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I never drop my mags.. It's a great way to bend them, and it get's them dirty when you really do not need to get them dirty.

Then again, I'm not in the military, and have not been formally trained by anyone. (Would not mind it, but at 42, I'm getting a little old for being combat ready....) :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
texfed said:
Spot on. The Brits ground down the bolt hold open pins in their L1A1's to stop them from locking open. The HK roller lockers and the G36 also lack bolt hold open.

It's a European thing, and not without merit. The Brits take it so seriously after fighting for so long in the deserts of the Middle East.

I'd also advise downloading to 28 on any M16 STANAG magazine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts